Zero

big rob

Reaction score
Went for a run on my bike today, heading back over Glen Quaich I stopped & had a wee blether with the chap who owned this interesting machine. I've never seen an electric road bike in the flesh before, anyway, we talked for a good 1/2 hour before he was on his way. Ignition on, kill-switch to on position, a twist of the throttle and off he went, strangest thing in the world watching him accelerate off up the hill with no noise coming from his machine.

Attachments

• P1040591.jpg
    P1040591.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 423
  • P1040592.jpg
    P1040592.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 413
  • P1040593.jpg
    P1040593.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 425
That's an SR/F :thumb2

I did ask my local Zero dealer to give me a call when he had his demo on the road. That was back in July and I've heard fuck all since :blast

Very expensive bike, but the government provides upto £1500 off the retail as an EV incentive grant.

A very nice looking bike but they still have many limitations on range and recharging, as per highlighted in long way up.

Recently bought an electric car, gotta say I'm a convert. Trouble is the bike went to help pay for it. I'd love something like a Zero but it's too rich for me, I'm more Super Soco kinda budget at the moment :(

Very expensive bike, but the government provides upto £1500 off the retail as an EV incentive grant.

The guy did say he had a sizable interest free loan from the Government which helped sway his descision to buy the bike.

Going to have to have your wits about you on that.
Folk not hearing you coming and stepping out etc...

Nice looking bike.

The blurb says "223 miles in the city and 112 miles on the highway"... so some number less than that.

That appears to be with the addition of the 'power tank'? (or is the 180Km highway - standard for 2020?)

"The Z-Force® Power Tank adds an additional 3.6 kWh of battery storage capacity to any 2014 or later Zero SR/F, Zero SR/S, Zero S, Zero SR, Zero DS or Zero DSR model*. An optional accessory, the Power Tank can be added at any time-during or after motorcycle purchase. For example, if you purchase a Zero SR ZF14.4, you could upgrade your motorcycle to 18 kWh of battery capacity if additional range is needed. With that much energy, you can travel up to 359 km in the city or 180 km on the highway. "

Way to go! That belt is on a pretty massive rear sprocket!

Pulley.

Pulleys for belts, sprockets for chains. :thumb

Does anyone know what it's like getting insurance on these? Costs? Categories?

I see bikes like this as a necessary stepping stone for the technology to catch up and become viable. Let's face it, compared to how much progress has been made with electric cars, mainstream electric bikes are not even off the starting blocks. If we want biking to be viable in 10, 15, 20 years time the technology needs to move on quickly otherwise bikes will go the way of the dinosaurs.

Yes but even electric cars still suffer the same limitations in milage and charging times.

They all have limitations, but in the right circumstances the cars and bikes make sense.

My nephew was using a Renault Zoey for his 2x38mile commute to Vodafone, Newbury - and even without the free charging on-site.............. it was cheaper than buying and running a conventional IC-engined car.

Yes but even electric cars still suffer the same limitations in milage and charging times.

That's true, but in order to get past those limitations the technology has to evolve. What's available now is significantly better than what was available 2, 5, 10 years ago and ever increasing amounts of development are being poured into it.

I own an electric car and wouldn’t go back to petrol/diesel now....apart from maybe a hobby car which is where the crossover comes with bikes I suppose.

Just got back from a holiday in Scotland. 800 miles in total and cost me £16 (as charging in Scotland is free). You could do the NC500 no problem on a bike, but if you were travelling with others it would be awkward, as undoubtably your habits and charge locations are dictated by chargers.

In the car that wasn’t an issue - charged at Gretna from 25% to 95% in the time it took me to walk the dog around and grab a Burger King and coffee - about 40 mins - but on a bike trip you might want more scenic or impulsive stops

went to a local bike meet place yesterday (my bad) and saw an electric adventure bike. Zero DSXR. Folk were pissing themselves when he set off it went like the clappers but was completely silent. Shame the range is so limited it was a big bike and I thought it wasn't bad looking.

Check this bloke out on Utube, he is currently in India..
I have been following him,but he is waning on me now, his click bait titles are getting more extreme..

Back
Top Bottom