Back From the Picos

Mark H

Formerly known as Easyrider5258 (Mark)
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Following on from my Picos thread here https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/541541-Picos-and-Pyrenees-trip

Been back a few days now and am currently in quarantine which ends on the 7th October, so have been editing the 1000 photos i took during the trip (Link below for Album)

I have never been to the Picos before and trip planning started end of last year, I'm a photographer (Aviation) but want to explore landscape / street so the focus of the trip was to enjoy the area and take plenty of photos!

Original plan was 1 week in Hotel Del Oso near Potes on the Fuente De road and then move for another week in the Pyrenees and finally 3 nights in Bilbao before the ferry home

Brittany ferries were offering a deal at the beginning of the year for a week Half Board at the Hotel Del Oso including return ferry crossing for about £1100 which when working out alternatives seemed a deal to me, Hotel Del Oso is excellent, could not fault my stay, the room, the staff, the food, all top class, so much so I cancelled the Pyrenees part of the the trip and booked another week at the Hotel Del Oso, there was so much to see around the Picos that a week was not long enough

The bike performed great on the trip which was about 1500 miles in total, did use half a sight glass of oil though

Roads were almost empty of GB bikes but plenty of other nationalities, advantage was I seemed to have the roads to myself at times

Bilbaos's old quarter was great as well, Guggenheim museum amazing and some beaches and roads up on the coast near Sopela also brilliant

Weather the whole time was perfect

I'll let the pictures do the talking now Here's a link to the album, (I'm still adding to it)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/65081372@N04/albums/72157716008439876

Mark

Met Martin (Arsey) at Bilbao port on his Africa Twin, good company on trip home in the bar :beerjug: and some of the way up to Oxford area:thumb,

Attachments

• Bilbao ferry port.jpg
    Bilbao ferry port.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 624
Thanks for sharing Mark.
May I ask if you made arrangements for travel insurance, especially in respect of CV19, or did you just wing it?

Thanks for sharing Mark.
May I ask if you made arrangements for travel insurance, especially in respect of CV19, or did you just wing it?

Didn't wing it, had annual policy with Aviva which fully protected me as if covid didn't exist, I checked with them at least 3 times a before trip and have it writing, also checked with BMW recovery and was assured if needed recovery unaffected by covid

The Aviva policy was taken out pre covid and does not have the exclusion in the policy wording that is now current practice

However it is all a bit of a moot point now as I am back safely with no problems, but the policy is good till end of year so maybe one more trip, or two :D

Thanks for that info Mark, I would imagine that it’s virtually impossible without phenomenal expense to take out such a policy now.

Glad that you had a fabulous trip

:beerjug:

Awesome pics! I particularly liked two birds - the Vulture and Girl on Beach ;)

Du you host the photographs elsewhere for non Flickr members?

Excellent pics :thumb

Was supposed to be in Picos for the first time in May, maybe next year :nenau

Fantastic photos
Only wish I was in a position to take the 14 days isolation as my trip to the Pyrenees that was due to start on 23 Oct
Is looking 99% off

Back
Top Bottom