Exhaust Header Studs - replacement

Dave T

Reaction score
How do!
My R1100GS is in the process of getting a 'sort out' of all the crusty fastenings etc, however I can already see that the exhaust studs are FUBAR, but more importantly way beyond my spannering abilities to replace them. I don't have the tools or knowledge for this. Whilst the exhaust is currently firmly attached to the bike, should it ever need to come off the studs will be problematic so I'm tempted to get them sorted if possible at a convenient time, rather than at a time dictated by failure.
Any recommendations for someone competent to take on this work?
Cheers,
Dave.

There’s an ex BMW mechanic started up on his own, Motorevive, he’s a member of this Site. I think he operates from Brombrough / Neston area. Kenny the Moderator knows who he is. :beerjug:

Cheers Alan,
Ted (Motorevive) did the 24k service on my bike and we discussed the studs at the time... he didn't seem over keen to do it, although I will ask him specifically. It may have been because the bike had been with him longer than he was planning on and he needed it out of his workshop for the next job. No probs so far with his servicing of the bike though...:beerjug:

Studs

Doing those studs is one of those jobs !
I'd cut / split the nuts off rather than trying to unscrew them, if I think there might be enough good stud remaining to unscrew from the head. Difficult to get a grinder on mind.
If there's enough left to get a grip of, there's a very slim chance of them unscrewing from the head.
Failing that, accurate drilling will be needed and that's not for the faint hearted with a blunt set of drills and a 30 year old Black & Decker :doris
I know from experience that there's an oil-way in the head near the back of the studs.
Last one I did, I had to remove the head & get two of the studs spark-eroded out.

Luckily the R1150 had a better arrangements with the studs better protected.

Take the heads off and take them to a engineering firm /welders Connect earth lead of welder to the head and electrode to the studs (one at a time, stick a high current through the and the studs will get red hot. Allow them to cool and you will be able to remove them without difficulty.
This method works but will need more than a diy welding set.

I'm going through this on my R1100GS, having sheared one of the studs myself I've taken a step back and looking at the remaining balls of rust where nuts and studs used to be, have booked it in with local MOTORAAD for an MOT and "can you remove/replace exhaust studs while you're at it". Now I am looking for an alternative to the standard studs to make life easier next time around.

They'll probably try to sell you a pair of new heads !
The heads usually need to be removed & studs changed in an engineering shop with accurate drilling (not too deep) or spark eroded. Or try the welder suggestion above.

Back
Top Bottom