Not welcome at Dales Bike Cafe, Reeth

Rich1960

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
:nenauhttps://www.dalesbikecentre.co.uk/pages/cafe-and-cakery

Motorcyclists not welcome it says, but I’ve called here numerous times on the GS while they were Building the business up, but now they’re established they don’t want our money anymore, but, call in on your bicycle, in your car, or walking and you’re welcome.

I’ve written to the National Park planning officer, and the grant of planning permission is clear, only customers of the bike hire or bike servicing business are able to use the cafe, which is quite clearly not happening, anyone is served in the cafe, unless you’re on your motorbike.

Double standards and hippocracy as well as discrimination IMHO.

Rant over.
Rich

?????

Attachments

• A115BDD4-849A-481D-BDFB-37C238A9EF44.jpg
    A115BDD4-849A-481D-BDFB-37C238A9EF44.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 1,076
Perhaps they think we're overly OCD regarding the manner we clean up after ourselves when camping
and they don't want our type of decent folk there.

PS. We obviously portray the wrong image therefore they can stick their cakes where the sun doesn't shine.:D

Maybe they get motorcyclists being smartarses and revving up their engines before they depart?

Happens often enough from what I've seen elsewhere..............

It sounds like an ideal place to have an impromptu meet up one Sunday. I'd like to see them turn away a dozen or so motorcyclists and more importantly what they would/could do about it if you parked outside (but not on) their premises and started eating your own scran.

Go on your motorbike, enter the bike hire centre and enquire about bike rental costs and availability, perhaps ask about a group hire rate for a lads day out you are planning and pick up a leaflet before you leave. Hey presto pop now into the cafe for a coffee open up your leaflet and start reading. If they challenge you then point out you are a customer of the bike hire centre .

OR arrive with an old inner tube in your pocket that has a puncture too. Walk into the bike repair shop first, ask for a whilst you wait puncture repair then whilst you wait go next door for a coffee.

OR arrive on your motorbike but leave your helmet and gloves in your panniers / topbox or locked to the bike. Walk into the cafe but trip over on your way in . If they say motorcyclists aren’t welcome just say “ I’m not a motorcyclist , I just like wearing warm clothing that is safe when I trip over which I do a lot because I have an inner ear problem” Ask to use the toilet before you order and then trip over again on your way there.

OR take a flask

OR just go somewhere else for a coffee :nenau:thumb

Isn’t this deja vu? Didn’t we have this thread a couple of weeks ago? I seem to remember recommending the Copper Kettle at Reeth. Nearby and run by an old climbing friend of ours. Nearest decent cafe to the Bike Centre.

We’ve covered this subject before, it’s simple, fuck em don’t go, every time I pass I sound my horn and stick two fingers up at the place. Over and out.

So op says planning dept says cafe is for customers of the cycle dealership only but cafe reads that as no motorcyclists but car drivers seem to be welcome.
Easy answer do not bother go somewhere else unless you are feeling vindictive and pop over note down car numbers , take photos of non customers of the bike dealers using the cafe and report them.
Personaly life is too short

Or nip down the road a couple of miles and go to Manor farm cafe where motorcycles are very welcome. Simples.

So, the owner has built up a business with all types of customer, including bikers. Then he has probably noticed that the bikers, although plentiful - are making others avoid. Perhaps those other types are also better spenders than the bikers.

It is no different than the fella who opens a bar, and then finds out that the over-25s who spend the most, are avoiding the place because it has effectively been taken over by 18-21yr olds, who ain’t spending enough to pay his bills. So - he makes it ‘over 21s only’......

Next thing on a bike forum- there is talk of “rounding up a posse” ....................... :blast

Yippee-Ki-Yay!!! :rolleyes:

Just accept the owner’s business model, and stay away.

(Or dob him in to the National Park Planning Officer............... :blast)

I’ve written to the National Park planning officer, and the grant of planning permission is clear, only customers of the bike hire or bike servicing business are able to use the cafe, which is quite clearly not happening, anyone is served in the cafe, unless you’re on your motorbike.

That’s the reason and probably it was bent a little by the cafe for the benefit of those wanting a nice cuppa tea and cake and the odd car and bike user not being a bike hire/service customer would slip under the radar.

Get a few to many bikes and it becomes pretty obvious that bikers aren’t hiring bikes or getting them serviced so they have to take steps because I expect some other 'angry' had tried to dob them in.

Cut them some slack and ride on by to another cafe...

So, the owner has built up a business with all types of customer, including bikers. Then he has probably noticed that the bikers, although plentiful - are making others avoid. Perhaps those other types are also better spenders than the bikers.

It is no different than the fella who opens a bar, and then finds out that the over-25s who spend the most, are avoiding the place because it has effectively been taken over by 18-21yr olds, who ain’t spending enough to pay his bills. So - he makes it ‘over 21s only’......

Next thing on a bike forum- there is talk of “rounding up a posse” ....................... :blast

Yippee-Ki-Yay!!! :rolleyes:

Just accept the owner’s business model, and stay away.

(Or dob him in to the National Park Planning Officer............... :blast)

They have never advertised being open to motorcycles and encouraging them - despite having a 3 day motorcycle Trial in the field over the fence every summer (non Covid years) - the participants cannot eat or drink in the cafe etc and separate food providers are employed to feed the 300 people attending
Similarly there is an annual Ard Rock MTB event which attracts 2000 in the self same field and that event is built around the Dales bike cafe and a gate is unlocked to encourage free passage to the Centre (whereas it is chained up, when the 3 day motorcycle event is on)
Their business model is definitely cycling, even the food Is aimed at cycling - high protein and low carb dishes
It’s rammed by cyclists and they do guided MTB tours as well, even have a bunkhouse too
It’s a great place and serves excellent food
I have stopped there in the car and occasionally on the motorcycle and have never been turned away
The bit about ‘no motorcycles’came about from a planning restriction caused by a neighbour who owns a large house 300 yds away in the village and has some clout locally and didn’t want motorcycle riders frequenting the area and so got the council to enforce the planning restrictions
Don’t blame the Dales Bike Centre they would welcome all, if they could ....but could be shut down because of this neighbour

Park outside the large house with your flask and sandwiches.
If challenged - explain why you can’t use the cafe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Park outside the large house with your flask and sandwiches.
If challenged - explain why you can’t use the cafe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not worth the hassle, really

Loads of other great cafes in the Dales

Can someone explain how legally a shop can get away with discriminating against a specific group of the public ?

How do you think they would get on if that sign said No Blacks or Chinese or Gays, it's beggars belief in the modern day.

We’ve covered this subject before, it’s simple, fuck em don’t go, every time I pass I sound my horn and stick two fingers up at the place. Over and out.

That'll convince people what nice folk bikers are. Top job :thumb

Can someone explain how legally a shop can get away with discriminating against a specific group of the public ?

How do you think they would get on if that sign said No Blacks or Chinese or Gays, it's beggars belief in the modern day.

Because it’s not a protected characteristic as prescribed in law.

Like gingers they have no protection either.

Back
Top Bottom