Cycling in Peak District

MarkShelley

Very similar to Paolo Maldini
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The Mrs and I are going for a long weekend staying is Baslow next weekend. We are planning to do the Monsal Trail on one day. Any recommendations for fairly flat (Yes, I know it is the Peak District!) circular routes of between 20 and 30 miles?
Weather is looking OK at present, but is there anything to do if that changes that doesn’t involve wandering around Edinburgh Woolen Mill and the like?

While yer in Baslow you May take a ride into Chatsworth park - if yer do get funny looks ignoor them. I doooo

Re Monsal trail - start at Bakewell old train station and go as far as yer like its slightly downhill back.
Dont forget tissington trail too not far away
Have fun and dont tell yer missis about the haunted tunnels near to cressbrook mill

Castleton caverns are quite dry when its wet. The one on Winnats Pass has boats at the bottom (travel to Blackpool in um so they say)

HTHY

Second the Tissington, done it many times with the kids and was thinking of going up with my wife as its fairly easy cycling and pretty obviously.

I walked the length of the Tissington Trail once - only ever saw one other walker during all that time. Place is flooded with cyclists.

I walked the length of the Tissington Trail once - only ever saw one other walker during all that time. Place is flooded with cyclists.

They are a pain in the backside - but at least it keeps them out of the sheep fields, where the crag rats walk leaving the gates open and letting their dogs run riot, dropping their wrappers and bottles everywhere. The ones with a stick and a knapsack aren't quite so bad in the littering aspect, but they are arsey and very 'entitled', even if they are doing something they are not entitled to do. Crag rats, hate 'em.

Did the Monsal Trail this afternoon. I wouldn’t want to walk it as there are countless more scenic footpaths but it was perfect for the Mrs on the bike. Tissington Trail tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom