Datatool Tracker - worth it or not?

Other than perhaps a sticker what's the visible deterrent?

There is no visible deterrent. The theory is that if the scum knew there was a tracker on it they would park it somewhere and try to isolate it for a few days, if unable to find and destroy the tracker.
I have it fitted as part of the offer, thought it might be a good idea althoo it makes no difference to insurance premium at all, so far they keep sending me sms every time I move it in garage!
I doubt I will extend beyond the first free year sub, as if it were stolen, I dont want it back!

Got Datatool Stealth on both of my bikes.

Pretty impressed so far.

They rang me last year as I was about to board the ferry just to double check it was me on the older version.

With the key fob, it probably alleviates that issue.

I doubt I will extend beyond the first free year sub, as if it were stolen, I dont want it back![/QUOTE]

thats a great point ! - i wouldnt either.

I doubt I will extend beyond the first free year sub, as if it were stolen, I dont want it back!

thats a great point ! - i wouldnt either.[/QUOTE]

Me neither..

Just make it harder, they'll move on to something easier.

Datatool Tracker - worth it or not?

Was the question.

If your bike is stolen and recovered, then arguably yes.

If you do not want your baby back, as it was stolen and the gloss has gone out of your life and you just can’t bring yourself to look at it again, probably no.

Will the tracker or anything else guarantee that your awesome is found? No, not absolutely but it may well help considerably.

Will it stop your bike being stolen in the first place? No, not on its own; that will rely on other security measures you do (or do not) apply and maybe a whole slice of luck, accompanied by a pound of butter in the fridge.

Do you want to spend your money on it? You decide, in exactly the same way you decided to buy your motorcycle.

If I remember correctly, the tracking and recording details of your ride can be turned off in the app and if your unfortunate enough to have your bike stolen, don't bank on getting it back unless it is recovered very quickly as the unit is not difficult to find. I know where mine is.

BMW dealer will register the tracker. You will get an email from Scorpion giving you a web link. On the first page (i think) there is a Green box with a code in it. This is the code that says BMW have paid the first year. write it down, or copy, as apparently you can't go back to it. Follow the on screen instructions and past the code into the Promotion box. It should then recognise that the subscription has been validated and your good to go. Or if you fcuk up ring Scorpion Customer Service and they are very helpful.

Just the same for me, went smoothly, no issues.
Needed to ring Scorpion customer care to discuss setting up the alerts.
The default is that it alerts you by email when going outside the geo-fence you have set, in my case the boundary of the property more or less. I know that is what this level of security is about, but this even occurs when you ride the bike away with the Tracker fob your pocket. Useful journey tracker, with the option of logging speed every 15 seconds, I disabled that.

Overall very good as a freebee, but not sure I would pay £300+ for it to be fitted or the £109 year 2 onwards subscription.

I'm up and running now as the system kicked in with the PDI ride..

I was talking to a dealer last week and the tracker came up. He said BMW were binning the trackers from next year. Not sure why or if he was talking rubbish :)

I suspect there's not a great advantage for them and for sure I wouldn't have paid extra for it.. May be of use in the future so will be open minded about it.

Insurance isn't affected so little point IMHO.

Who actually fits the Datatool Tracking? Is it fitted before the dealer gets the bike, or is it fitted by the dealer, or do they sub it out to an approved datatool agent?

I’ve got if fitted. Followed the instructions, including putting in the code. Payment taken from my account immediately. Called customer services, no problem refunded, in 5-10 days :eek:

I’ve got if fitted. Followed the instructions, including putting in the code. Payment taken from my account immediately. Called customer services, no problem refunded, in 5-10 days :eek:

Me too. Two weeks after I’d paid I realised my error. They refunded on the spot.

It’s dealer fit.

My dealer told me in an email today that it's 'fitted before its gets to us', presumably ex-works? But then, always take with a pinch of salt what a dealer tells you :)

Question please for experienced tracker owners.
Am I right in assuming that if the key & fob remain next to bike (or in the SatNav key position) with the ignition OFF, the bike can be moved around WITHOUT triggering the tracker activation?

Secondly, to deactivate activations whilst the bike is being transported and/or having the battery unplugged you go to MODES (see image) and select ON against the relevant option?

Attachments

• C5B0E54B-B068-4FF6-844F-4B7583205D41.jpg
    C5B0E54B-B068-4FF6-844F-4B7583205D41.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 450
Question please for experienced tracker owners.
Am I right in assuming that if the key & fob remain next to bike (or in the SatNav key position) with the ignition OFF, the bike can be moved around WITHOUT triggering the tracker activation?

Secondly, to deactivate activations whilst the bike is being transported and/or having the battery unplugged you go to MODES (see image) and select ON against the relevant option?

Yes, but if you call the contact centre, they will disarm for a set time window. I do this when using ferries, so know the travel time and when I arrive, no faff with the app.

Yes, but if you call the contact centre, they will disarm for a set time window. I do this when using ferries, so know the travel time and when I arrive, no faff with the app.

When you activate it in the app it will allow for you to set a start and end time. No alerts mode, itself does the same as the transport and garage modes together. I do it when I disconnect the battery too.

Back
Top Bottom