Datatool Tracker - worth it or not?

GSMarky

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Folks.

What's the general consensus on the Datatool tracker new bikes have?

I have only just been made aware there's an annual subscription, so before I cough up is it worth it?

For me the insurance isn't any different (or not that I can tell on the comparison sites), so maybe there are other benefits to the tracker that I'm oblivious to?

Appreciate any experiences and thoughts.

Thx

First year is free, and its thatcham approved

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

First year is free, and its thatcham approved

Interesting and that is actually what I thought would be the case.. When I tried to register I couldn't go further without payment.

Will ask the dealer and/or Datatool

Many Thanks

Hi,
Yes, i did the same even with the code they give you.
It took £99 off my card, i called datatool and they sorted it immediately.
Good service from even when i called to swap my registration over on the same bike.
Tracker is very good with the app (lots of info sbout your rides etc that it tracks).
When mine is up for renewal i will defo renew.

Hi,
Yes, i did the same even with the code they give you.
It took £99 off my card, i called datatool and they sorted it immediately.
Good service from even when i called to swap my registration over on the same bike.
Tracker is very good with the app (lots of info sbout your rides etc that it tracks).
When mine is up for renewal i will defo renew.

Not so sure I want my rides & speeds tracking..

I figure it's simply a tracker if the bike is stolen so you can see it's journey to Eastern Europe...

Interesting and that is actually what I thought would be the case.. When I tried to register I couldn't go further without payment.

Will ask the dealer and/or Datatool

Many Thanks

You need to copy and paste (not type in) the code in the green box, into the promotion code box and it will accept it.

I didn't copy and paste, just typed it in?

You need to copy and paste (not type in) the code in the green box, into the promotion code box and it will accept it.

What green box? I haven't got the bike yet so maybe it's in the paperwork?

It's all done on the web, have you a email saying your datatool has been installed and activated?

What green box? I haven't got the bike yet so maybe it's in the paperwork?

BMW dealer will register the tracker. You will get an email from Scorpion giving you a web link. On the first page (i think) there is a Green box with a code in it. This is the code that says BMW have paid the first year. write it down, or copy, as apparently you can't go back to it. Follow the on screen instructions and past the code into the Promotion box. It should then recognise that the subscription has been validated and your good to go. Or if you fcuk up ring Scorpion Customer Service and they are very helpful.

Great so far...

I had one of these already fitted to my new bike. My dealer said to make sure it was on a charger between trips. They are supposed to consume very little power but better safe than sorry I guess.

I cocked up my subscription to the tracker but a quick call to the customer services at Scorpion soon sorted that out for me. Really nice bloke who refunded me the first year I had paid by mistake.

BMW Assist took the bike to the dealers in a van (suspect oil leak which turned out to be spilt oil during PDI) and I got a call from the tracking company to make sure the bike hadn't been nicked. Very impressive.

My wife now tracks my journey via the app on her phone (don't know if this is good or bad lol) and has the garage door open and the kettle on when I get home. :okay

I would never think to specify one but as it was on the bike anyway...it is proving to be a good bit of kit.

The Insurance company didn't give me a huge discount though, only 10% ..so renewal time I will shop around for a better price.

It's all done on the web, have you a email saying your datatool has been installed and activated?

I have one saying my account has been activated and another saying the dealer is installing the hardware and it needs an annual subscription to activate - that's as far as I've got. Will assume there's something in the new bike papers regards the first year and when year 2 is due I should have my own opinion about it then.

BMW dealer will register the tracker. You will get an email from Scorpion giving you a web link. On the first page (i think) there is a Green box with a code in it. This is the code that says BMW have paid the first year. write it down, or copy, as apparently you can't go back to it. Follow the on screen instructions and past the code into the Promotion box. It should then recognise that the subscription has been validated and your good to go. Or if you fcuk up ring Scorpion Customer Service and they are very helpful.

OK - I can expect to be making that call then!!

I had one of these already fitted to my new bike. My dealer said to make sure it was on a charger between trips. They are supposed to consume very little power but better safe than sorry I guess.

I cocked up my subscription to the tracker but a quick call to the customer services at Scorpion soon sorted that out for me. Really nice bloke who refunded me the first year I had paid by mistake.

BMW Assist took the bike to the dealers in a van (suspect oil leak which turned out to be spilt oil during PDI) and I got a call from the tracking company to make sure the bike hadn't been nicked. Very impressive.

My wife now tracks my journey via the app on her phone (don't know if this is good or bad lol) and has the garage door open and the kettle on when I get home. :okay

I would never think to specify one but as it was on the bike anyway...it is proving to be a good bit of kit.

The Insurance company didn't give me a huge discount though, only 10% ..so renewal time I will shop around for a better price.

Thanks for that - it's one of those things I guess that until you use it the value isn't clear..

It must happen a lot, I cocked it up too and paid. It was refunded straight away. I’ll renew it next time. It’s a deterrent for the scrotes that want to nick yr bike. 96% recovery rate apparently.

Alerts can be disabled in given time frame when it goes in the garage, to prevent calls.

I quite like the journey tracker app too.

Other than perhaps a sticker what's the visible deterrent?

Once they know that all BMW bikes have trackers........

Back
Top Bottom