TIGER SPORT HOT STARTING

Too hot

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I know this is not GS related but I was wondering if any of you clever guys out there have heard of this problem.

Here is the fault that appears to be known or ongoing issue with 1050 Triumphs.
A few months ago I bought privately a secondhand 2016 Tiger Sport 1050 with 2300 miles on the clock.
Now as far as I can tell the bike runs faultlessly. Until the other day. At a set of traffic lights I made a schoolboy error and stalled the bike (this was after an hour of riding so the bike was fully warmed up)
I immediately tried to restart it and the bike cranked over slowly as if it’s battery was flat it wouldn’t catch.
I tried a couple more times but it was worse on each time getting to the stage it appeared totally dead.
I switched it off and waited to try to figure out what to do,after about ten fifteen minutes I tried it again
and it started.I managed to keep it running and made it home ! Now a few days later and after some research it appears to be a known fault with the 1050 triples. Now the remedy seems to be switch it off and let it cool for ten minutes which is what happened to me. Started after 10 mins cooling off.
Yesterday I tried to recreate the same conditions at home. Tested the battery ,switched on ,off ,running, battery seems fine and charging normally. So I kept the bike running got it really hot to bring on the fan,then switched it off.Immediately tried to start it again and the battery seemed to drag like it was flat,tried it a couple of times and sure enough appeared dead.However let it sit for ten minutes and hey presto restarts no problem as if the battery was fully charged (which it was) Left the bike overnight went out to shed tried it and started no problem no indication of charging fault.I have owned an 07 plate Tiger1050 never had a problem also had a 1050 Speedy no problems.This I taking the shine off my new steed and makes me wonder if Triumph is an unreliable brand to tour on ? Question is does anyone have a guaranteed "fix" for this problem?

Google it. Triumph tiger 800
Same problem I had on my travels in hot 30° weather in Spain .
Hard to start after turning off. As if the battery was low . 3rd turn of the key it started.
If I can remember something to do with solenoid/ starter .

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Early , high mileage Tiger 800s had this issue, was with the starter motor not being quite up to the job or motor brushes being worn.

Don't know if it's the same with 1050 engines though..

Early , high mileage Tiger 800s had this issue, was with the starter motor not being quite up to the job or motor brushes being worn.

Having done a bit of research on the old inter web it seems the starter motor is at fault,but Triumph won’t admit it !

That's interesting. I had a Speed Triple 1050 for a couple of years and 8k miles and didn't come across this problem, but your research seems to identify it as more than a one-off. I did have a similar issue on a BMW K1300S and it was a common fault. The BMW fix was to uprate a bit of the wiring (to the starter, I think) which cured it. Shame to hear that Triumph aren't sorting it.

My bike was a new when I bought it 2017 .
When it started to give me the starting problems starting when it was hot.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It’s a bit of a pita when you now know that it’s a common fault that triumph are trying to ignore!
Looking on the internet it’s full of stories and videos of causes and possible cures.
I’m going to look into contacting Triumph customer services see what reaction I get from them!
I bought this bike on the strength of my old 07 plate Tiger 1050,it was great and never let me down !

friend of mine had the same fault as yours,, we fitted a higher output ( cold cranking amps) cca battery and replaced both the earth lead and the posative lead from the battery with thicker grade cables ( from halfords if i remember correctly) ,, never had a problem again in over 22k miles,,,, worth a try as its easy to do ,,

friend of mine had the same fault as yours,, we fitted a higher output ( cold cranking amps) cca battery and replaced both the earth lead and the posative lead from the battery with thicker grade cables ( from halfords if i remember correctly) ,, never had a problem again in over 22k miles,,,, worth a try as its easy to do ,,

Excellent I had heard that the earth cables were suspect on the 1050,I will give this a try thanks

Back
Top Bottom