Bavaria

shready

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking at planning a tour next Summer, having missed out this year due to the pandemic.

Fancy a trip in SE Germany, Bavaria area. Probably 7 days, plus to and from the area.
Any suggestions or advice, please? Never ventured into Germany before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to spend some time getting there head directly over to Saxony then take the scenic route down the border with the Czech Republic as far as the Bayerische Wald before doing the tourist bits of Bavaria.

If you keep off the main north-south route it’ll be slow but the roads are great fun and you’ll be able to book hotels on a day by day basis because it’s quiet compared to the more popular areas.

I can recommend the beer.

Germany is good.

Unlike us, they have got over the last war.

Here are some nice routes to the south and east of Munich

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xl47le3oyrcl95n/KarteOberbayern.pdf?dl=0

This book has 33 two and three day routes, radiating south from Munich. I think I may have a copy at home, if so I’ll do my best to dig it out.

8406.jpg

This hotel has four or five jaunts out, each of between three to five hours in duration:

https://www.chiemgau-wanderhotel-gabriele.de/motorradtouren-in-bayern-am-chiemssee.htm

On this website, zoom in on the map to sort of near enough Munich. Then tap around on the little purple pointer things and ‘Zur tour’ on each. You can’t break it:

https://www.tourenfahrer.de/tour-datenbank/

I have got some more for the Allgau.....

Getting there / back, roughly along these lines:

1. Calais > Vianden > Karlsruhe > Ulm > Munich

2. Munich > Colmar > Troyes > Reims > St Quentin > Calais

If you want to take up Andy’s good and interesting idea, head across from Calais to roughly Leipzig / Cottbus, then follow roughly this, down southwards and across, westwards towards Munich. I near enough did this on my lap of Germany, coming south from Stralsund on the Baltic, via Berlin, Dresden, Passau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Munich:

af5df38327f79635d8a0afdd98209592.plist

At the time UKGSer was full of stories about herds of migrants clogging the roads and rendering it unsafe for a white man to even think of going anywhere near the borders. Passau was apparently cut off and a war zone. It wasn’t, of course.

PS We didn’t stay in Garmisch, not least as it has little to commend it beyond Germany’s only alpine peak *. If it weren’t for that and BMW’s rally thing (which I have no desire to go to) nobody would even know the place existed. There are much nicer towns and villages to chose from.

* The Germans like to pretend that they are all Heidi, but that honour belongs to the Austrians and Swiss. I think the Austrians gave the Germans their one mountain to stop them crying and invading again. Before that, the Hun spent all their time looking for witches in the Harz.

I have this book and it has a route that takes 8 days, I'll map it out and add in some recommendations from on here, thanks. Some of the days are quite short so could easily merge days together.

Day 1 - Lindau to Fussen 67miles
Day 2 - Fussen to Garmisch-Partenkirchen 53miles
Day 3 - Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Tegernsee 50miles
Day 4 - Tegernsee to Salzburg 113miles
Day 5 - Salzburg to Hallstatt 115miles
Day 6 - Hallstatt to Kitzbuhel 114miles
Day 7 - Kitzbuhel to Reutte 146miles
Day 8 - Reutte to Lindau 58 miles

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-07 at 11.28.45.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-10-07 at 11.28.45.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 328
PS We didn’t stay in Garmisch, not least as it has little to commend it beyond Germany’s only alpine peak *. If it weren’t for that and BMW’s rally thing (which I have no desire to go to) nobody would even know the place existed. There are much nicer towns and villages to chose from.

* The Germans like to pretend that they are all Heidi, but that honour belongs to the Austrians and Swiss. I think the Austrians gave the Germans their one mountain to stop them crying and invading again. Before that, the Hun spent all their time looking for witches in the Harz.

Given the choice between Garmisch and Fussen which is only a few miles away I’d always choose Fussen because it’s just a much nicer place to spend a day or two. My wife shocked one of the local bar owners by asking for large glasses of dunkelbier because apparently Brits on tour don’t normally like dark beers :nenau

Lindsey, fit’s in well with Wessie’s suggestion of Kempten, for sure. Kempten, fits in well with suggestions in the posts above.

As regards:

Day 1 - Lindau to Fussen 67miles
Day 2 - Fussen to Garmisch-Partenkirchen 53miles
Day 3 - Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Tegernsee 50miles
Day 4 - Tegernsee to Salzburg 113miles

That is near enough the east to west line in the map in post # 7 and as suggested by Andy, as it is pretty much all in Germany, near enough the Deutsche Alpenstraße. The return loop Salzburg to Lindau, is chiefly in Austria. Either way, it’s pretty good and the suggested daily mileages definitely geared to the bimble / flower pressing end of the spectrum.

Given the choice between Garmisch and Fussen which is only a few miles away I’d always choose Fussen because it’s just a much nicer place to spend a day or two. My wife shocked one of the local bar owners by asking for large glasses of dunkelbier because apparently Brits on tour don’t normally like dark beers :nenau

Dark beers are gifts from the gods themselves.

I really enjoyed doing the Romantic road.

I wouldn't advice anyone to go from the BF to Lindau alongside Konstance, possibly the worst decision I've made abroad.

The castles in Bavaria are quite something, the one on Schangau really is quite amazing.

Berstgardten and the Eagles nest of also recommend though I'm not sure if I'd stay in that area for 7 days, three or four possibly.

17 posts before the Eagle’s Nest is mentioned. Austria’s answer to the Millau bridge, is bound to appear, I thought.

He might get a shock if he had a visit from me, Scraggy & Salad Dodger on one of the UKRM OAP tours.

Back
Top Bottom