Portsoy 10 to 12 September 2021

I have no doubts at all about the good quality of the bunkhouse.

Thing is, we haven't been anywhere for ages and thought, to hell with it, let's do the hotel thing.

That was my thoughts too (but I am a hotel person, anyway)

See you in there PW

Looking forward to it, I making into a week/ten days away.

Staying in Moffat on the way up then follow Cabby’s route with an excertion to see the Falkirk wheel on the way.
Heading up to North coast after the weekend then down the west coast and back to Moffat-Chester then home to S-Wales.

I have no doubts at all about the good quality of the bunkhouse. Thing is, we haven't been anywhere for ages and thought, to hell with it, let's do the hotel thing.

I'm sure it's really nice Alistair but, see above. I will be emailing the site today. I will, no doubt be visiting again in the future now it's on my radar and will likely give the bunkhouse a go :thumb2

All good, I'm sure you'll enjoy Portsoy :thumb2

Staying in Moffat on the way up then follow Cabby’s route with an excertion to see the Falkirk wheel on the way.
Heading up to North coast after the weekend then down the west coast and back to Moffat-Chester then home to S-Wales.

It'll be well worth it. Quite a thing is that wheel :thumb2

I've been playing around with Myrouteapp and had a go at knocking up some routes to familiarise myself with it. Thought I'd have a go at a route from Falkirk via the David Sterling Memorial near Dunblane to Portsoy plus a couple more very nice locations / roads en route. Just a bit of fun. Use, amend or discard at your leisure. :thumb2

:
https://www.myrouteapp.com/en/social/route/4641221?mode=share

I've been playing around with Myrouteapp and had a go at knocking up some routes to familiarise myself with it. Thought I'd have a go at a route from Falkirk via the David Sterling Memorial near Dunblane to Portsoy plus a couple more very nice locations / roads en route. Just a bit of fun. Use, amend or discard at your leisure. :thumb2

:
https://www.myrouteapp.com/en/social/route/4641221?mode=share

Looks good Pete, will use bits of that.

I'm just trying to work out whether to stay at Dent on the way up,

( they do a nice brekky in the cafe by the site) , but they dont open till 10:00 if i recall which means set off much later than i want

Can anyone suggest or recommend a campsite about an hour north of Dent, but fairly close to the M6 / A74 ? that may be of interest?

I've booked into the station as well, so if you can remove me from camping list ta :beerjug:

@ Santa-2512 Moffat too far North for you? Could meet you there and drive up with you:nenau

I've booked into the station as well, so if you can remove me from camping list ta :beerjug:

@ Santa-2512 Moffat too far North for you? Could meet you there and drive up with you:nenau

Moffat is on the way for me so to speak Id planned to do

A74m out of Dent

M73 / M80 to Perth,

and then a detour via one of the routes on here through the cairngorms

Dont know whether my pedestrian pace would suit you though ;)

Plan is

Home to Dent on the Thursday

Dent - Portsoy on the Friday

And then in reverse on the Monday

Dent is roughly half way for me lol

Moffat is on the way for me so to speak Id planned to do

A74m out of Dent

M73 / M80 to Perth,

and then a detour via one of the routes on here through the cairngorms

Dont know whether my pedestrian pace would suit you though ;)

Plan is

Home to Dent on the Thursday

Dent - Portsoy on the Friday

And then in reverse on the Monday

Dent is roughly half way for me lol

No worries fella :okay
I'll probably keep off the motorway from Moffat then take A roads most of the way up through the Cairngorms etc.

No worries fella :okay
I'll probably keep off the motorway from Moffat then take A roads most of the way up through the Cairngorms etc.

I'll be in touch closer to the date - i'm not averse to A roads -

I'm already planning for 2022. I'll be in Southern Spain when this is on, canyon carving on a blue and white 1150 gs hopefully. I was seriously thinking of going to scotland this year but family comes first and foreign travel is loaded with complications!

Is this still on for 10-12 Sept or has the date changed (or even year!) sorry but 16 pages is a lot to read through :D

if its still 10th till 12th 2021 i will join in.
my diary for bike trips is free for September so this would be just the job, nice ride up from the Manchester area too.
if anyone wants to pair up for the trip PM me.

Is this still on for 10-12 Sept or has the date changed (or even year!) sorry but 16 pages is a lot to read through :D

my diary for bike trips is free for September so this would be just the job, nice ride up from the Manchester area too.

Not seen anything to the contrary so, it's still on :thumb2

Cheers Tony, count me in then :D

ill come up on my own, but this week im going with the wife on an 8 day trip, the bike loaded up looks ridiculous!!!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qPFAkNkRlu1z5BZ3c1Dknbacxc-iE3Fs/view?usp=sharing

Never done 2 up camping, the inability to put stuff accross the back seat is an issue :/
might have to put stuff from top box into bag and leave top box at home, my worry is the height is going to make it top heavy
I will go out for a test run later today.

Anyway i digress, see you all in September at Portsoy :rob

If that bag is heavy it'll feel really ponderous solo but with the Mrs. on board, i guess the extra weight lower down will make it feel better. Can you not strap
the bag on top of one of the panniers? It's what i do but i do have the ally top loaders. I split the load between two Lomos and have one on each pannier.

Anyway, see you there :thumb2

I've decided to remove the box.
It only had clothes in was half empty to keep weight down
However the bag had the tent, 2 sleeping bags, 2 mats, 2 cushions and 2 tripod seats.

Altogether now, looks much better.

With the weight as it was, if I had a wobble at slow speed it could end badly being so top heavy.

One pannier has emergency stuff, tyre repair etc and waterproofs.
The other cooking gear mainly

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

I've decided to remove the box.
It only had clothes in was half empty to keep weight down
However the bag had the tent, 2 sleeping bags, 2 mats, 2 cushions and 2 tripod seats.

Altogether now, looks much better.

With the weight as it was, if I had a wobble at slow speed it could end badly being so top heavy.

One pannier has emergency stuff, tyre repair etc and waterproofs.
The other cooking gear mainly

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

I was going to suggest removing the box but thought your wife wouldn't want to lose her backrest :D

Yup, still on. I'll add you to the camping list

Back
Top Bottom