GPX - The German 'Motorcycle route'

I agree, Lee. Similarly, I agree that the difference in the two distances is nothing too worrying.

I have been looking at this some more and dropping in just a few ‘Must see / must do’ places of which (not unsurprisingly) there are loads. Can you ever do all the sites? No, of course not; unless that is you are German and lived there all your life. I also spoke to a German girl in the office, who confirmed that you’d see more of Germany than many Germans see in a lifetime, which I guess is not really that surprising. All in all, it’s all doable and the plan to ride the lot at an average of 150 miles a day for X number of days remains real. It has though got me wondering, how many bods on bikes have ever ridden the lot? Not that many, I guess? How many have ridden the lot in one go? Even less, I guess, too?

I have been looking at this some more and dropping in just a few ‘Must see / must do’ places of which (not unsurprisingly) there are loads. Can you ever do all the sites? No, of course not; unless that is you are German and lived there all your life. I also spoke to a German girl in the office, who confirmed that you’d see more of Germany than many Germans see in a lifetime, which I guess is not really that surprising. All in all, it’s all doable and the plan to ride the lot at an average of 150 miles a day for X number of days remains real. It has though got me wondering, how many bods on bikes have ever ridden the lot? Not that many, I guess? How many have ridden the lot in one go? Even less, I guess, too?

did you say in an earlier post that you had completed the western route, if so some feedback on the roads would be good, im looking at a combination of west/south or west /north this summer.

Done most of those routes except Leipzig/Dresden area and as you say the average German probably hasn't seen most of their own country same as most people here have seen very little of the UK.

I remember talking to some Germans from Beilefeld in a Wirsthaus in Munich and they were surprised at how much of Germany we had travelled compared with themselves

The German 'Motorcycle route' - GPX files

I have now cut these from BaseCamp into MyRoute and made them public. This was as much for practice, as anything else.

<iframe style="border:none;overflow:hidden" width="100%" height="562" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allow="geolocation" src="https://www.myrouteapp.com/embed/map?folder=7696342&lang=en&user=25131&fitmarkers=true&origin=routes&unit=mi"></iframe>

Note:

1. I created them originally by sticking together lots of individual track sections from the ‘German Motorcycle Route’ website.

2. As with many tracks, whoever created them originally sometimes goes a little ‘off route’ either because they made a mistake or because they specifically went to see or do something. Another possibility is that the GPS device lost its signal briefly or it is some other bug or simple small error.

Here’s three simple examples:

b05198da3d7ba98c65b5736c36f39450.png

65cefe9d375fabe9892e041a00f543e4.png

02565cf3b0827ba4f2c715f164c5dda7.png

I haven’t made any attempt to edit these out. I don’t think there are too many of them. You can only spot them if you zoom right in.

3. There are four routes in all, all centred (ie they all start and end in the same place) on the town of Schotten. Of the four, one (the south route) is somehow corrupted and won’t load into MyRoute properly. I’ll have to investigate why. The north, east and west routes seem to load OK.

4. Like any route, always check it before you leave home.

5. As each route is well over 1,000 miles, it’s pretty doubtful if anyone woukd actually ever load it as one route into their GPS device or phone. Anyone with any sense would break each route up into sensible bite sized chunks.

God willing, I still have a plan to ride the German Motorcycle Route, either in four separate parts (ie four visits to Germany) or maybe something as extreme as riding the whole 7,000 miles in one trip. The advantage of the latter is that I’d save three return Channel crossings. Due to assorted events this year getting in the way, it’ll probably have to be 2024.

I have done some digging around and discovered that Germany has no less than 46 UNESCO World Heritage Sites. This got me thinking that some must be somewhere near at least parts of the route, so why not go to see some of those that are.

The Rough Guide travel book people have made a free downloadable guide to the sites. It will now require me doing nothing more than locating the individual sites’ positions and marking them on my MapSource route map. Then working which ones I can go to see, without interfering too much with the aspiration of riding the Motorcycle Route. Similarly, as I plan to spend a lot of the trip camping, simply to hold down the costs, I plan on marking the most logical campsites to try to stay in.

https://go.roughguides.com/germanys...4.1222901131.1678387652-1404926458.1678387643

The e-book downloads really well into iBooks on my iPad.

I can then bolster this free book with Michelin’s Green Guide and anything else I can pick up (preferably free) on the internet.

6992341a2a5386dbe2ce80a190fc19e4.png

9b6b928b73edb076af3dec3e25d07b2f.png

Helpfully, the book has a simple map, which you can zoom in on, to make identifying the various sites’ locations easier:

0be0f9eb80223f26fdfb2298e1e22821.png

3cff4ec7d3a441e352b133996c04c284.png

Who knows, by the time I get back I may be able to do a bit more than count to ten and say “Hello” in German.

God willing, I still have a plan to ride the German Motorcycle Route, either in four separate parts (ie four visits to Germany) or maybe something as extreme as riding the whole 7,000 miles in one trip. The advantage of the latter is that I’d save three return Channel crossings. Due to assorted events this year getting in the way, it’ll probably have to be 2024.

I have done some digging around and discovered that Germany has no less than 46 UNESCO World Heritage Sites. This got me thinking that some must be somewhere near at least parts of the route, so why not go to see some of those that are.

The Rough Guide travel book people have made a free downloadable guide to the sites. It will now require me doing nothing more than locating the individual sites’ positions and marking them on my MapSource route map. Then working which ones I can go to see, without interfering too much with the aspiration of riding the Motorcycle Route. Similarly, as I plan to spend a lot of the trip camping, simply to hold down the costs, I plan on marking the most logical campsites to try to stay in.

https://go.roughguides.com/germanys...4.1222901131.1678387652-1404926458.1678387643

The e-book downloads really well into iBooks on my iPad.

I can then bolster this free book with Michelin’s Green Guide and anything else I can pick up (preferably free) on the internet.

6992341a2a5386dbe2ce80a190fc19e4.png

9b6b928b73edb076af3dec3e25d07b2f.png

Helpfully, the book has a simple map, which you can zoom in on, to make identifying the various sites’ locations easier:

0be0f9eb80223f26fdfb2298e1e22821.png

3cff4ec7d3a441e352b133996c04c284.png

Who knows, by the time I get back I may be able to do a bit more than count to ten and say “Hello” in German.

Do let me know if you’d like some company!

It is funny how just flicking through an ebook can trigger something else.

A week or so ago, I posted a cutting from one of the German motorcycle touring magazines, telling of a suggested tour along the old Roman / Germania dividing line.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/598772-GPX-The-German-Limes-Straße-across-to-Passau

I had never heard of this ‘Limes’ thing but, here it is in the Rough Guide guide to the German UNESCO sites:

b391245c6e8c5b95f8a717c99dee66f6.png

2cab7938e04435862aae6df32d8e0de0.png

06f4fe10544d9de48ea2921dfab2cede.png

I quite like history and often look at maps they put up on building sites in the City of London, showing the works and, quite often, the outline of the old Roman roads. Seeing this site in Germany might be worth a detour, as Michelin says.

Welcome.

I have read elsewhere that the ‘owners’ or ‘guardians’ of the German Motorcycle Route are enhancing the main routes with what I guess are additional bolt-on’s.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...cycle-Road-Hesse’-Kassel-Frankfurt-Wiesbaden…

Germany is really good at creating these ‘Roads’, all be it more and more are becoming dedicated to ‘Green’ activities. I have noticed a definite switch on websites from regions and hotels (particularly in France and Germany) which used to often mention ‘Motorbikes’ and ‘Motorcycling’ activities have now deleted these references, replacing them with ‘Bicycling’ and ‘Walking’. In a way this is no bad thing, I guess. Not least as in many regions we have become our own worse enemy, ripping around with extremely noisy exhausts and blazing lights. Eventually it pisses enough people off and they clamp down.

There is an article in one of the latest German magazines about the new restrictions coming into place. I can’t read it, so it might be just a rehash of old news. But, whichever it is, the writing is clearly on the wall.

Back
Top Bottom