Multistrada 950

longdog

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone on here either own or have owned a Multistrada 950 either S or standard? If so, what are they like? What’s your experience of owning one? All contributions welcomed ;)

I have not owned on but I have ridden one when mine was being serviced

My view FWIW

It is actually all the bike you could ever need it rides well handles well and for a Ducati isn't priced too eye wateringly

Of course this now has a health warning

That engine in reality is getting a bit long in the tooth and is probably ready or nearing upgrade. The bike is quite heavy for the engine for the bike to be considered "Whoa that's quick"

It obviously does not have all the tricky bits like single sided swing arm as the 1260 and is in comparison a bit budget

The 1260 ( especially the Pikes peak ) makes you feel a bit special the 950 makes you feel content and that isn't a bad thing

My opinion is that if you are considering a new 950 then look at a year old 1260

Thank you sir, that is pretty much the impression that I had. I really need to get a few test rides in if only I could find a half decent stealer around here.

I have owne one and found it very inspiring and all the bike i could ever need.

I owned a 1200 DVT for a few years and have ridden both the 1260 and 950.
In my opinion they all 'suffer' from the same issues and those are mainly to do with the engine/s and or fuelling / gearing - too lumpy at low revs and speed, necessitating lots of clutch feathering; in addition they are top heavy and with quite high seats (even in low position) - they are not ideal bikes to ride around a busy town although great out on the open road.
While it lacks the grunt of the others, the 950 doesn't weigh appreciably less than the larger engined versions.
Finally, I found the lean angle on the side stand was quite extreme and could make it a struggle to get the bike off the stand.

I've got one, a 950s. Had it over a year now. Personally I think it's a brilliant bit of kit. Had a LC GSA before and decided at my time of life I needed something smaller and easier to move around. It's quick, agile and handles well. Surprisingly economical to run as well. Biggest drawback for me is the windscreen, it's noisy and too small. However I'm 6'4" so it may not be too bad for somebody who's vertically challenged.
I love it.

Another test ride opinion before I made the jump from sportsbike to mid sized adventure bike. Front is boingy, screen was crap (I’m 5’11”). Other than that a nice bit of kit.

I couldnt cope with the screen (was the same on he 1260) and eventually settled on a Tiger 900 as that worked better for me.

RBW

I've got one, a 950s. Had it over a year now. Personally I think it's a brilliant bit of kit. Had a LC GSA before and decided at my time of life I needed something smaller and easier to move around. It's quick, agile and handles well. Surprisingly economical to run as well. Biggest drawback for me is the windscreen, it's noisy and too small. However I'm 6'4" so it may not be too bad for somebody who's vertically challenged.
I love it.

Mike, it looks as if you have one for the same reasons that I am considering getting one. I am 6’2” but I could easily change the screen to suit.

Another test ride opinion before I made the jump from sportsbike to mid sized adventure bike. Front is boingy, screen was crap (I’m 5’11”). Other than that a nice bit of kit.

I couldnt cope with the screen (was the same on he 1260) and eventually settled on a Tiger 900 as that worked better for me.

RBW

The suspension is adjustable, if you owned the bike, then you could set it up to your likening surely? I know you can get Skyhook on Ducatis but I feel for the riding that I do, solo, then the standard bike would fit my needs.

can someone tell me is the 1260s a good bike and other than carbon bits wheels and pipes re pikes peak which is the best all rounder dare i say like a bmw gs1250

can someone tell me is the 1260s a good bike and other than carbon bits wheels and pipes re pikes peak which is the best all rounder dare i say like a bmw gs1250

Tough question to answer on the 1260 Vs The BMW 1250 they are similar but very different. The Ducati feels sportier , IMO is comfier has 17 inch front wheel so handles as such. Personally and it is just personally i prefer the Ducati even though i will still say the GS is probably the best all round bike money can buy in the same way that Vanilla Ice cream is probably the best and safest choice - I happen to like rum and raisin more ...

As to the pikes peak it has the full TTX36 Ohlins suspension front and back which, once set up is just sublime

After a succession of GS &GSA I test rode both a 1260S and 950S Multistrada back to back, I enjoyed both and felt that both motors delivered a broad spread of power and in a similar manner up to a point, the 1260 obviously has more shove but the 950 has more than enough, I feel I can use more of the 950S power more of the time than was the case with the 1260, the 1260 motor does dominate the experience with the bike and it feels very long legged, many owners drop a couple of teeth on the rear sprocket.
The 950S has all the trick bits the 1260 has including skyhook (brilliant) and quickshifter up and down (light years better than my 1200LC) keyless, cornering abs,LED lights etc.
As Mike has said above the Multi feels lighter and quicker steering than my previous Rallye, it brakes,steers and handles well and the induction roar from the motor is quite addictive, bottom line for me was however good the 1260S is (and it is good) it’s not £4K better than the 950S

Tough question to answer on the 1260 Vs The BMW 1250 they are similar but very different. The Ducati feels sportier , IMO is comfier has 17 inch front wheel so handles as such. Personally and it is just personally i prefer the Ducati even though i will still say the GS is probably the best all round bike money can buy in the same way that Vanilla Ice cream is probably the best and safest choice - I happen to like rum and raisin more ...

As to the pikes peak it has the full TTX36 Ohlins suspension front and back which, once set up is just sublime

Love that quote i like vanilla but i like salted caramel best does that put me as a pikes peak. no what im saying i like the look of the pikes but dont want it to br bumpy and thrash's want the power to be thee but smith. id that the case with the 1250s or is there not much noticeable difference eng power delivery wise ? if yo order one with less tooth rear sprocket does that make it better ?and will there be a new model 2021 or is it v4...... also where the food do you get a demo ride

Love that quote i like vanilla but i like salted caramel best does that put me as a pikes peak. no what im saying i like the look of the pikes but dont want it to br bumpy and thrash's want the power to be thee but smith. id that the case with the 1250s or is there not much noticeable difference eng power delivery wise ? if yo order one with less tooth rear sprocket does that make it better ?and will there be a new model 2021 or is it v4...... also where the food do you get a demo ride

Power is the same be it the S or the Pikes peak the PP also has forged wheels so all in all comes in about 6KG lighter than the S which in the grand scheme of things isn't much I grant My Mate has the S and there is little if anything in it performance wise

The Skyhook suspension on the S is fantastic but the Ohlins once set up properly is IMO sublime with so much feel and feedback but with the down side of it being manually adjustable as opposed to pressing a button.

My man maths when buying worked out that a PP with heated grips and £5K of Ohlins on it was not that much more than an S with heated grips and a termi end can and again with man maths and think ahead re sale would be better ( fingers crossed)

I adore it and it makes you feel special

I am special with odd needs

....the 1260 motor does dominate the experience with the bike and it feels very long legged, many owners drop a couple of teeth on the rear sprocket.

.... if yo order one with less tooth rear sprocket does that make it better ?

To improve the gearing (i.e. lower it) you need a smaller (one tooth) front sprocket or a larger (two teeth) rear.

To improve the gearing (i.e. lower it) you need a smaller (one tooth) front sprocket or a larger (two teeth) rear.

Quite a few seem to do this

I actually dont see the point as mine is just fine
It ends no more acceleration and although 6th gear is quite tall as is its fine for me

Quite a few seem to do this

I actually dont see the point as mine is just fine
It ends no more acceleration and although 6th gear is quite tall as is its fine for me

I put a smaller front socket on mine to help make slow riding in and around town easier...and it did make 6th more useable.

Back
Top Bottom