Problems at http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl

Berin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The website http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl has been a good source of OSM maps, as they have historically been available by selecting tiles for the maps needed, installable easily into Basecamp, and also with a .img file for installation direct onto a device.

They were updated frequently and were routable and the maps were pretty much worldwide

Since summer, the maps have been downloadable only via country, and they haven't been updated since June. Over on the openstreetmap forum the general feeling is that the owner is no longer updating the site, and isn't responding to messages.

The consensus therefore is to look for a different map provider, several are listed one the OSM Wiki.

The other providers may not have maps available for your country, or be basecamp installable, or may either not be routable or be routable against an activity like hiking or mountain biking.

I've noticed in any case that some of the routing on OSM maps (vs.garmin maps routing) is weird, and I'm not sure I'd want to trust it on the road, but you makes yer choice, I guess.

The website http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl has been a good source of OSM maps, as they have historically been available by selecting tiles for the maps needed, installable easily into Basecamp, and also with a .img file for installation direct onto a device.

They were updated frequently and were routable and the maps were pretty much worldwide

Since summer, the maps have been downloadable only via country, and they haven't been updated since June. Over on the openstreetmap forum the general feeling is that the owner is no longer updating the site, and isn't responding to messages.

The consensus therefore is to look for a different map provider, several are listed one the OSM Wiki.

The other providers may not have maps available for your country, or be basecamp installable, or may either not be routable or be routable against an activity like hiking or mountain biking.

I've noticed in any case that some of the routing on OSM maps (vs.garmin maps routing) is weird, and I'm not sure I'd want to trust it on the road, but you makes yer choice, I guess.

Ta for this. I always found the NL site easy to use, maybe out of sheer familiarity! Can anyone recommend an alternative that's as user friendly and with mapping by tiles and country as per the NL site.

The NL site was excellent. The problem started more than a year ago, when the bods apparently had trouble with their server. I guess that the real problem lay in that there is no such thing as a free lunch. Unless bods were prepared to chip in a few quid (or the site could generate advertising revenue) it was a busted flush. Good though whilst it lasted.

Right. So I've downloaded maps from the German site. I saved them as a downlaod on the laptop AND direct onto the card in my Zumo 550. As Gmapsupp.img files. Problem 1: Mapsource (yup I'm that old!) cannot open the file. Likewise, the Zumo does not show the maps in MAP INFO. I tried Basecamp and sure enough, the file is there in Maps but apparently there's no data therein, although I can see the maps on Basecamp and can drill down to the highest level of detail. ???

It must be me! Probably my ignorance of Basecamp. I assume I have to convert the file from a gmapsup.img file but how?

Pete - If you can see the downloaded OSM maps in the dropdownable box in basecamp - city navigator is usually top un
put say OSM UK in box then go to "Maps" - install maps - a mapinstall box appears - highlight your selection then load/send to yer SD card
I then open my pc select the sd card and change name of the loaded map in the garmin folder to - GBgmapsupp.img with double pp !!!!!!!
I have most of ESP and Fr in one selectable map and UK on tuther - they both loaded to same sd card and seem to work if one is selected and in my case old Garmin maps are deselected
HTHY

Back
Top Bottom