Der Motorradtraum im Winter (Andalusia)

Wapping

Reaction score
Perhaps no good for this winter of Covid infestation, I guess, but maybe something for the future.

Four suggested jaunts out from Malaga on the south coast, for some winter sunshine. Lifted straight from a German touring magazine and downloadable by putting the tour codes into Kurviger. I think the BMW place labled, does bike hire.

c5b5b803f98815afa2f2723d19e34935.png

7611f8cace0202f9bb22f31f2078fad8.png

PS You could of course ride them in any other of the year’s three seasons.

Andalusian roads

A winter trip to Andalusia should be compulsory to every UK biker. I have a place in Mojacar, the roads and scenery are just amazing, with almost perfect tarmac where ever you go, I was impressed with the picos mountains, but here is way better, and the temperatures are unreal with 320 days a year sunshine. Fantastic out here and if you have the time there are also about 6-8 race circuits in addition.:(

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't overlook the roads a bit further west of Ronda/Marbella. The A-377 from Manilva on the coast up to Gaucin is fantastic now that is has been resurfaced. El Hacho cafe in Gaucin is a great stop for coffee & breakfast with wonderful views south from the terrace towards Gibraltar. Then carry on beyond Gaucin towards Ronda and cut off on the MA-8305 towards Jubrique and take even more twisty roads through the hills back to the coast at Estepona. Many more great roads around that area in the national parks.

Good tips, thank you.

No probs. I only got back yesterday a.m. from my last trip down there. Left our home in the southern tip of Spain 6am Saturday then 1300 miles on the road back to NE Scotland with Brittany Ferries Santander-Portsmouth in between. I was impressed with their covid stay safe arrangements and good to see a fair few bikes on the ferry too.

No rain for the first 1000 miles until I hit Preston and it was the most comfortable trip ever coming back with my old 1150GS, no numb bum or aches & pains even with 5 hours between stops. I suppose the fact that it was on a Motolug trailer probably helped :roll

Now I've got 14 days stuck at home to give the bike a bit of tlc ready for an MOT and prep for our lovely soon to be salt covered roads!

Route 4 takes you right past Timolgra's world famous Buggery Bend

:D

Attachments

• Buggery Bend.jpg
    Buggery Bend.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 318
As Richard says its a brilliant area for biking, roads and weather are superb all year round. We went last November as a friend of mine Graham Swan has a business called GS motorcycle Tours based just along the coast from Malaga. We were collected from the airport and taken to his guesthouse accommodation where we picked the bikes we wanted to use, good choice mainly GS’s but he also has a partner that runs similar trips using Royal Enfield bikes. We did the 7 Day Andalucian Countryside Tour, everything is arranged and all you need to add is flight, petrol, beer and evening meals. Have a look at his website if its something you fancy without the hassle of a long trek down from the UK. Www.gsmotorcycletours.com Mention my name and you may get a discount? I intend to go back again when things settle and hopefully do his trip Morocco Tour. If you want a self guided or to use your own bike he does that too.

No rain for the first 1000 miles until I hit Preston and it was the most comfortable trip ever coming back with my old 1150GS, no numb bum or aches & pains even with 5 hours between stops. I suppose the fact that it was on a Motolug trailer probably helped :roll

That made me laugh!

Redtread - off road centre in Nerja. Use Yamaha dirt bikes and provided guided ride outs on some fantastic off road tracks. Stayed 3 nights in Feb 2017 before a heading to Granada for few more days. Temp was upper teens / low 20's - very pleasant for riding. A hire car at Marbella airport was only only about 100euro for the week.
https://www.redtread.com/

Don't overlook the roads a bit further west of Ronda/Marbella. The A-377 from Manilva on the coast up to Gaucin is fantastic now that is has been resurfaced. El Hacho cafe in Gaucin is a great stop for coffee & breakfast with wonderful views south from the terrace towards Gibraltar. Then carry on beyond Gaucin towards Ronda and cut off on the MA-8305 towards Jubrique and take even more twisty roads through the hills back to the coast at Estepona. Many more great roads around that area in the national parks.

I’ve only just spotted this tread, I’d missed it for some reason. You’re spot on Dan, the road up from Manilva to Gaucin is my go to road to get into the mountains. The views from the terrace at the El Hecho cafe are stunning, on a really clear day you can see right into the mountains of Morocco.

...... the roads and scenery are just amazing, with almost perfect tarmac where ever you go.............. but here is way better, and the temperatures are unreal.......:(

Certainly preferable to The Picos in winter but neither the roads, the tarmac, the food nor the scenery are comparable; from the coast to the mountains, to the people to the extremes of temperatures. :nenau

Certainly preferable to The Picos in winter but neither the roads, the tarmac, the food nor the scenery are comparable; from the coast to the mountains, to the people to the extremes of temperatures. :nenau

Aha, the old north south divide. All counties are the same and east to west division, too.

Aha, the old north south divide. All counties are the same and east to west division, too.

I guess there is an element of that. I don't wish to diss the south, it has many qualities, no question. I just thought it was a bold statement to say it's better......

East-west...now that's something I'd be hard pushed to comment on because although it's on my "to ride" list, I really don't know enough about Extremadura to make a comparison. The last time I transitted that area was over 25 years ago in a car. However, if pushed, I think I'd have to say that Extremadura is likely to be a much nicer place to ride than where I live in the East outside of the three scorching summer months. I say this from the POV of density of traffic and unspoiled, more rural, surroundings.

Back
Top Bottom