Austria, Historic Cities Tour

Wapping

Reaction score
There is no dedicated Austrian section, as I guess bods only want to ‘do the alps’, so I’ll put it here.

I tripped over this site whilst just surfing around in another another site I had picked up from a German touring magazine. The blurb, when run through Google translate, tells me:

Motorcycle tours through the Small Historic Cities

You may be able to travel around the world in 80 days - you only need 15 days to discover the most beautiful (motorcycle) routes through Austria. Whether in one piece or in stages as a day or weekend tour, the 3,500-kilometer Austria Classic Tour leads through all nine federal states, past world-famous but also little-known (natural) beauties of Austria and with inexpensive accommodation in biker hotels in the 16 Small Historic Cities of Austria. Special parking spaces are available in most motorcycle accommodations.

The information is clearly summarized in the 90-page tour book “Austria Classic Tour - Traumstraßen durch Österreich” (Verlag Schubert & Franzke, available from the Small Historic Cities at a price of 10.90 euros excluding postage), Tel. +43 7252/52290, E -Mail: info@khs.info). When purchasing the brochure, electronic gpx files for navigation devices are also available for download.

You can also download the tours from the website and, I assume, stitch them together yourself. I might have a go at creating it at some point. For 10 euro the book might be worth taking a punt on, even if you can’t read German, as I bet it has some pictures.

Here’s the website. They do it in German and Italian but, somewhat foolishly perhaps, not in English. But Google translate can sort it out.

https://www.khs.info/

I also did a little surfing around in Google using the words, ‘Motorradtouren durch die Kleinen Historischen Städte‘. To do this I simply highlighted the words on the Austrian webpage and pasted them into Google. This brought me to an Alpentourer magazine article, which a Google translation of their blurb, said:

The motorcycle dream road through Austria - an idea of ​​the Small Historic Cities

"Why wander into the distance when the good is so close?" This quote is given to all bikers on their way. Because many dream of Route 66 and don't even know that something comparable great can also be found in Austria - namely the Austria Classic Tour.

The Austria Classic Tour includes the 3,500 most beautiful motorcycle kilometers between the Boden and Neusiedlersee, the Mühlviertler Hügelland and the Carinthian lakes. Curvy panorama routes over the Großglockner or the Sölkpass are just as much a part of it as romantic paths through the Salzkammergut or through the Styrian vineyards. The tour was selected by ambitious bikers, the ÖAMTC has checked it and recommends it as the motorcycle route through Austria.

The tour is divided into 12 daily stages, each of which ends in one of the 18 Small Historic Cities. In the cities there are more than 20 motorcycle-friendly hotels with their own parking spaces, drying rooms, tools, ... - in short, the heart beats for bikers.

Every city has a tip for a half- and full-day tour that the local motorcycle freaks have given away. If the motorcyclist particularly likes somewhere and there are no ideas for new tours, contact is certainly quickly made with the biker regulars, where there is always talk of the trade and the best insider tips are passed on in the hand.

The Austria Classic Tour is designed as a circular route, so bikers can get on and off anywhere. It is best to book the hotels for the exit directly before departure. All biker hotels can be found on the Internet at www.khs.info or in the catalog of the small historic towns. If you want to book your tour completely in advance, contact Salzkammergut Touristik, which acts as the booking partner for the small historic towns and has contract hotels in all towns. Tel. 0043 (0) 6132 24000, info@salzkammergut.co.at

There is a unique road book for the Austria Classic Tour published by Schubert & Franzke. The booklet comprises 100 pages, a detailed cartography of the 3,500 kilometer tour route with the respective half-day and full-day tours of the 18 cities. The whole route is divided into 10 daily stages, whereby the individual stages are clearly presented in table format with details of street names, directional signs, pass heights, etc. The complete route description contains numerous tips about sights along the way that invite you to take a break. Very important for the spring tours - all telephone numbers of the pass roads are given so that the biker can really inquire himself whether the road is already open or not. Of course, there is also information about tolls and biker hotels! The tour guide is available in German and Italian at a price of € 13.50 (including postage) from the Little Historic Town office.

But the Austria Classic Tour should not only be reserved for motorcyclists. Why not take a wonderful trip to the most beautiful parts of Austria by car? Whether just for the weekend or for a longer period - choose your personal dream route of the Austria Classic Tour and enjoy.

Anyway, it might be of interest to anyone who wants a jaunt around Austria. They’ll even book your hotels for you, so all you have to do is rock-up on your bike and ride away.

Have fun.

PS If you put the words ‘ small historic cities austria tour’ into Google, it throws up lots of webpages where guff on the nicest towns and cities are. It’s worth a look around, I think.

Update:

With a little fiddling around on my iPad and guessing what the German says, I managed to download the a brochure and convert to a pdf. Again, it’s in foreign (the swine) but you can pick up the towns and other stuff. Page 12 is interesting, if nothing else.

c1a00334a99c67113ec54eb555ca3b36.plist

I saved the pdf to Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8jcj6fx2cj1he8u/Document (9).pdf?dl=0

I have cut the 15 separate contiguous segments together into BaseCamp, in two files:

1. Each of the 15 segments, each coloured separately, alternating green to blue to green to blue...

6464d6652e600c366e8390a46aaf5d11.jpg

2. All 15 joined together into one continuous route. As this version is one continuous route, it has to lose the different colouring of each section unfortunately. The whole round trip is 2,127 miles door-to-door.

It looks OK and as a lap of Austria (I like lapping countries) it would make a great jaunt.

Here's the Dropbox file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lu9d53uwgjav3t8/small historic towns - motorcycle tour.gpx?dl=0

Back
Top Bottom