Ideal van to cary motorbikes

Coops18

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have been wanting to buy a van be my daily whilst still carry the family and also my bikes and motorbikes. I have tried hiring a van with a ramp and it is very tricky to handle GS into the back..

Just found these Mobility Vans look more than ideal and tick all the boxes...low ramp and even and electric winch.

https://www.alliedmobility.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Independence_168x240_Apr19.pdf

Does anyone already use one of these to carry motorbikes etc?

I used an ex motability vehicle ie car derived people carrier/van (Peugeot Expert in my case with wheelchair ramp) No Vat to pay. Car tax and insurance rates . Perfect for part day van conversion too

ps car speed limits also apply

:beerjug:

Agree with Lo-IQ.

I loaded my GS in a long wheel base transit a couple of time and it's a bit uncomfortable with the standard ramp (compared to loading/unloading other bikes):
3048-single-aluminium-folding-loading-ramp-motor-x-bike-scooter.jpg

Also the lwb Transit is generally higher at the back, so makes it worse.
IE: I wouldn't load it myself without someone watching the other side.

Just get a longer/larger ramp. That will do the trick without costing a million.
Any standard transit or VW T4 will do nicely.

I wouldn't transport regularly humans in a vehicle I use for bikes though. They tend to smell a bit after a while.
Which ones (the bikes or the humans) I'll leave it to your personal preference.

Agree with all your points.....kombi vans don't have all these features like you have pointed out. Car speed limits the big one!

A pal of mine had a toyota Hilux van mobility conversion, with wheelchair ramp (his wife had bad MS). It was our go to vehicle for moving bikes around, but some had to have windscreens removed.

I used an ex motability vehicle ie car derived people carrier/van (Peugeot Expert in my case with wheelchair ramp) No Vat to pay. Car tax and insurance rates . Perfect for part day van conversion too

ps car speed limits also apply

:beerjug:

Agree with all your points.....kombi vans don't have all these features like you have pointed out. Car speed limits the big one!

You need to remove the screen on a 1200/1250 to fit it in anything with a standard height roof. Vivaro/Trafic/Transit/etc.
Goes in easy though.
Long wheelbase needed unless you fancy squashing the beak and plate with it diagonal

This might help some folks with the dilemma of getting a big lump of bike into a van.

I’ve been looking at portable winches.
These latch onto a mounting point (inside the van) and are quite small for their pulling power. A lot are remote controlled and some are even wireless controlled.

They start as cheap as chips but I presume that you get what you pay for

Here’s an example from Fleabay

Attachments

• FCA66733-2347-4453-B71E-AAF7AE5BF2F5.jpg
    FCA66733-2347-4453-B71E-AAF7AE5BF2F5.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 378
Tiger 800 and GS800 fits in a std height transit custom without removing the screen, I have a fold up wheelchair ramp which is about 2ft wide which means you can walk up beside the bike, I'd guess it's about 5ft long, high roof transit is better though as you can stand up inside it

You mention 'carry the family'. How many is that? Are you looking at a crew cab or a standard van with 2/3 seats ?

actually just thinking about the mechanics of lifting the floor and all the stuff.... how much carrying capacity will be left when you that lot is in there..?

someone I know is disabled and her little car/ van thing does that and it's pretty much overloaded straight off the bat... and handles like a bag of shit...! there's two leisure batteries in the back that control all that up and downy thing...!

I used to have an older Renault Master converted for wheelchair access.
I stupidly sold it a few years ago and trying to find a replacement now is proving a little tricky as they tend to come with a wheelchair lift and not a lowered floor.
I guess a lift works out cheaper than the cost of lowering the floor.
But the lifts aren't long enough to take a bike.

Please see the attached pictures.

This all looks very neat and you can even get a golf buggy in too!!:beerjug:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-28 at 10.38.22.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-10-28 at 10.38.22.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 236
  • Screenshot 2020-10-28 at 10.37.57.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-10-28 at 10.37.57.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 211

Back
Top Bottom