Phone as GPS. Power in the rain

Nemo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Yesterday I used my Samsung S10+ as a GPS. Worked OK with Google Driving. However I was thinking - what if I need to use it in the rain. I have a USB lead from the bottom of the phone to a USB socket in the "cockpit", but is it a no-no to use this in the rain. Any thoughts?

I have used my Samsung S8 mounted with quadlock as a satnav on the GSA all over europe for a few yers now in some epic rain.
I mounted a USB socket up in the side of the cockpit which gets wet - never had a problem.
Just need the poncho screen cover on to stop the big water droplets changing the phone app/screen whilst riding !

I use one of these, charges wirelessly.

85eb5e498c6443a2cc0f10f2331e7586.jpg

Yesterday I used my Samsung S10+ as a GPS. Worked OK with Google Driving. However I was thinking - what if I need to use it in the rain. I have a USB lead from the bottom of the phone to a USB socket in the "cockpit", but is it a no-no to use this in the rain. Any thoughts?

From another thread:

My S10 has put up with some full on monsoons without trouble. Got caught in a thunderstorm for 15km in Austria a few weeks ago and it was fine, and was charging at the time......

I went with the SP Connect wireless charging system and anti-vibration mount, permanently wired to switched live. Will charge slower than directly connected to a USB adaptor in a socket but still fine.

Waterproof; the USB adaptor internals can shake to bits and corrode if it gets wet.

From another thread:

I should clarify, I do try and avoid having it charging while riding in the rain. It was just that, on this occasion I couldn't be arsed stopping to unplug it. The S10 is waterproof and I never have had an issue with water triggering the screen. I suspect that poncho would just fog up making it illegible?

I used a nexus 7 in a pouch type bag - no issues with charging or operation

I have a tab 8 active now

It cam be charged either from the the std plug on the bottom, or a mag plug on the lower edge / side

depending on what you using it for you may not need to charge it i daily use, just whack it on a power bank at the end of the day

I used one of these with my iPhone 11 Pro Max for a 12 day tour of the Alps this year:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000638307731.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5f274c4dmpsbLo

Worked beautifully with a short USB fly lead however on the very last day we saw rain, LOTS of rain. Initially I had an issue with the phone reporting moisture in the charging port but then on the ride back from Portsmouth to Warrington the rain was so bad I was getting false touches on the screen due to the water.

It doesn't solve the touch issue but I'm tempted by one of these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...8.0&pvid=126f9e04-155b-4a16-884f-4530601aa55e

Honestly, never had that false touch issue on my Samsung S7 or the S10 I have now...and I've rode in lots of rain with both.

Thanks everyone. Some top tips. As long as the USB connection doesn't fry my phone or the bike in the rain that's fine :)

Back
Top Bottom