Ebike conversion - is 250W enough?

bakerlonglegs

Relative numpty
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m planning on converting my hard tail MTB to a mid drive ebike. My bike is one of these, a Specialized Chisel. It will be used for gravel cycle routes and bridle ways, strung together with B roads when needed. I need (want!) electric assistance as my knees are knackered and I want to ride further, not necessarily faster.

The gearing on the bike means that I often spin out on downhill road sections between lanes. This is fine, as again I’m not that fast.

So ebikers - is just 250W a real handicap for that kind of riding or plenty to be useful? Thanks :beerjug:

I have access to several "converted" bicycles and have one of my own.
For what you want I think 250w will be fine, whether pedal assist or with a throttle.
Have a look at this thread.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/542033-eBike-build-here-is-my-story

If you like, and are near enough, pop along to my workshop (Tekmotive in Hatfield) and introduce yourself to my brother Geoff.
He has a converted bicycle and you can chat options, pitfalls and power and have a go on one too.

I have access to several "converted" bicycles and have one of my own.
For what you want I think 250w will be fine, whether pedal assist or with a throttle.
Have a look at this thread.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/542033-eBike-build-here-is-my-story

If you like, and are near enough, pop along to my workshop (Tekmotive in Hatfield) and introduce yourself to my brother Geoff.
He has a converted bicycle and you can chat options, pitfalls and power and have a go on one too.

Hello, thanks very much for the offer and the advice! I know Tekmotive - Welham Green right? Great place, I’ve had motorbikes serviced there some years back when I worked in Potters Bar. New tyres fitted too. I’ve had a GS, a ZRX1200S and a Fazer 600 looked after by your place. I remember the racing pictures all over the walls.

I’m recovering from an operation at the moment and because of that having to self isolate too. Once I’m healed and allowed back out in public I’ll pop round. Cheers again!

Back
Top Bottom