Handle bar grip replacement advice please

Robbi

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

i'm looking to replace the heated handlebar grips on my 2002 R1150GSA

never having replaced heated grips before, does anyone have a link to a youtube video as my google-fu has failed, failing that, any advice on how to do it would be appreciated. as well as the best place to buy them ( doesn't need to be OEM parts ) ( i presume i need the grips with the 1" hole. )

thanks in advance

Robbi

I did it on a 2005 1200GS previously.

Gotta be real careful removing the existing rubbers as the heating wire is directly underneath the rubber and it's easy to damage. I used wd40 squirted in at the ends of the grips and compressed air using a 'gun' that came with my compressor. Lifted up the grips fairly easily.

The replacement grips were quite specific - can't recall which ones I bought. If I can find a link to them I will.

I have some pics somewhere of the grips removed showing the heating element wire underneath. I'll post them later

Throttle side
0858589161c95ceedad7b28f1eece35c.jpg

Sorry but I can't find details of the grips I bought. As far as I recall, the grip rubbers on the 1150s are different to the 1200s.

Surely someone else on here has that answer

Looks like some gentle cutting is required, appreciate your help. I now understand how heated grips work which always makes things a bit easier.

What a great tutorial, many thanks indeed.

( now have to order a second set of grips! It's the tips like this that half the frustration levels when you only buy one set!!)

Got a pair from a company called Brooks Barn, both grips are the same size and fitted straight on, no need to buy a second pair... Lucky result 😊

Thanks for the input

Robbi

Back
Top Bottom