GSA TO S1000XR

Pablo1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Im on my 3rd GSA after having 2 GS's prior and a k1300s before that, I really like the GSA but while in dealership the other week I saw the S1000Xr in TE spec and must admit was impressed with the style and high up seating similar to GSA.
At 17k otr plus luggage however its more than I expected, I'm 62 now and thought my 2017 GSA would see me through my remaining biking days but Im going to test ride this and see how it feels.

Anyone else gone from GSA ? Any advice ? Its a long time since I had a chain driven bike is Scottoiler still a thing ? Any other downsides ?

10 yrs of GSAs and changed to an XR.

For a few years, I was looking for something lighter, smoother, faster, nimbler - and the XR fits those requirements perfectly.

Now done 18,000 miles in 4yrs on the XR and wouldn't go back.

Get a S/H 2018/2019 model and some aftermarket luggage - I think you will be happy.

10 yrs of GSAs and changed to an XR.

For a few years, I was looking for something lighter, smoother, faster, nimbler - and the XR fits those requirements perfectly.

Now done 18,000 miles in 4yrs on the XR and wouldn't go back.

Get a S/H 2018/2019 model and some aftermarket luggage - I think you will be happy.

Thanks for that just looked up a 2019 Sport SE with a banging spec including luggage at 13495 less than 2k miles, is the 2020 TE spec worth the extra bucks do you think.

There are 'nice touches' to the 2020..........

TFT display
narrower bars
cubbyhole in front of tank.

All depends on whether you have £13,500 or have £350/month

I'd still have a good S/H 1st series with approved warranty.

There are 'nice touches' to the 2020..........

TFT display
narrower bars
cubbyhole in front of tank.

All depends on whether you have £13,500 or have £350/month

I'd still have a good S/H 1st series with approved warranty.
Not bothered about TFT or cubbyhole (dont use one on my GSA) have read a few reviews on here of the older model and the showstoppers for me would be

1. Looking for similar leg position to the gs ie I dont wont sportsbike style knees bent high up etc.
2. Harsh suspension ??
3. Buzzing through bars was mentioned.

Whats your take on these ? btw am I mistaken or does it come with engine oiler ?

Ideally I need to test ride the older one.

I find the pegs as comfortable a position as the GSAs
Vibration? some have a slight buzzing, but the GSA ain't smooth by any means
Harsh suspension? It doesn't soak up bumps like a GS for sure - but it works well on the road

Not sure what an engine oiler is.

I find the pegs as comfortable a position as the GSAs
Vibration? some have a slight buzzing, but the GSA ain't smooth by any means
Harsh suspension? It doesn't soak up bumps like a GS for sure - but it works well on the road

Not sure what an engine oiler is.

sorry chain oiler it should say, just realised they do an F900 XR which is a twin so I might look at that also

No standard chain oiler - spray lub or scottoiler or similar are the ways to go

Had 2 first Gen XR's just moved to a 2020 TE.

Gen 1 bikes
Manic, feels like you ride with the devil looking down from your shoulder
Very fast
Suspension in Road mode can be harsh especially on roads across the moors or the dales
Glorious intake roar and popping in Dynamic on overrun
Very light vibes around 4,800rpm but the band is only 200rpm or so so ride through it. My GS LC had more vibes
All in all though a brilliant bike

2020 TE
Feels more civilised, probably due to Euro 5
Still blindingly fast
Suspension in Road mode is more like the GS, in Dynamic its nice and stiff
TFT is excellent
No vibes at all
More torque low down and 5th & 6th are higher geared

Too much is made of lubing the chain, its a 15 min job. All my bikes have chains

IMHO the 2020 bike is better but may not be worth the full price hit unless you can get a good deal which luckily I managed.

OEM luggage is eyewateringly expensive. I use SW Motech Blaze saddle bags and an SW Motech rear rack bag but for 90% of my riding I just use a SW Motech Evo tank bag. Can't stand the look of XR's with a top box

Maybe hang on till next April when the s/h 2020 bikes start to appear.

Had 2 first Gen XR's just moved to a 2020 TE.

Gen 1 bikes
Manic, feels like you ride with the devil looking down from your shoulder
Very fast
Suspension in Road mode can be harsh especially on roads across the moors or the dales
Glorious intake roar and popping in Dynamic on overrun
Very light vibes around 4,800rpm but the band is only 200rpm or so so ride through it. My GS LC had more vibes
All in all though a brilliant bike

2020 TE
Feels more civilised, probably due to Euro 5
Still blindingly fast
Suspension in Road mode is more like the GS, in Dynamic its nice and stiff
TFT is excellent
No vibes at all
More torque low down and 5th & 6th are higher geared

Too much is made of lubing the chain, its a 15 min job. All my bikes have chains

IMHO the 2020 bike is better but may not be worth the full price hit unless you can get a good deal which luckily I managed.

OEM luggage is eyewateringly expensive. I use SW Motech Blaze saddle bags and an SW Motech rear rack bag but for 90% of my riding I just use a SW Motech Evo tank bag. Can't stand the look of XR's with a top box

Maybe hang on till next April when the s/h 2020 bikes start to appear.

Thank you for taking the time to respond much appreciated.

Pablo you have to ride the XR as they are completely different bikes...
Chain vs shaft;but BMW has no a maintenance free chain that is supposed to last 20K miles without lubing made by REGINA.
High revving / high hp 4 cylinder vs more powerful as in TORQUE up to 8000 rpm 1250 shift-cam Boxertwin.
Divvy getting hard on brakes Fork vs Telelever that does not dive and always stays compliant.
Side vs Top loading boxes.
20 vs 30 liter tank.
230 vs 280 kilos weight.
Too bad we still can't have it all...;)

I made the change and went back after 89 miles :D

2017 Rallye to 2019 XR Sport SE and back to a 2020 1250 Rallye (GS x 2, nit GSA)

If I'd gone from sports bike to XR I'd probably still have it, but it just reinforced the fact the GS is the bike for me. I didn't feel the XR was as 'relaxing', but that's great when you wind the throttle and the vibration was a pita, but different for many.

We are all different, so please arrange a good test ride - a day at least and cover some miles.

I also rode the 2019 and 2020 XR on the same day...The 1250 GS is the better bike for me as also the XR has over the GS is more top-end power...But the 1250 is no slouch either...:thumb
I'll wait for the M1300GS or the S1200XR with 200 hp....:D
The 2020 XR needs a pipe as it is too quiet and does not back fire anymore like the 2015/16 XRs did !

As above why not try the 1250 GS TE too while you're there as an alternative to the XR. Better to try them both then pick which you prefer than wonder if you've made the right choice for you later on?

I had a 2019 XR, 5K miles later I was back on a 2019 GSA 1250. Never gelled with the bike. Long rides were tiring, and it just made me want to speed everywhere. Those overrun pops and bangs were addictive. You need to use the gearbox a lot more. On a 400 mile I could see myself making 1200-1300 gear changes. It could also drink a tank of fuel in a hundred miles :jager

Bloody brilliant bike mind, just wasn't for me.

If you like comfort, don't get the previous XR. It's a phenomenal bike, but for long trips away is not comfortable.

The new 2020 bike is meant to be much better, I've not ridden one yet, but it still won't ever be as comfortable as a GS.

If you want a comfortable 160bhp bike, get a Multistrada, as that's more comfortable than any of my GS's were. :D

I did 6k miles in 6 months,bit like stew made me want to speed everywhere I went round Spain on it like I was on a track day. Vibes was a non issue with heavy bar end weights. Not as good a tourer as a GS as approx 10mpg down and the headLight was quite poor. Comfort similar to GS legs a bit tighter.

I should have kept the 2014 GS I had before it. Felt lighter than a GSA WC I ended up with and a fair bit sportier and more fun.

If you like comfort, don't get the previous XR. It's a phenomenal bike, but for long trips away is not comfortable.

The new 2020 bike is meant to be much better, I've not ridden one yet, but it still won't ever be as comfortable as a GS.

If you want a comfortable 160bhp bike, get a Multistrada, as that's more comfortable than any of my GS's were. :D

I guess comfort is pretty subjective. I did 3,500miles on this year's holiday and find it fine - for anything between 500m autoroute days to 220m around the alps.

That said - To go along with those who moved GS to XR, there are several who went back to the GS.

Back
Top Bottom