cylinder ticking noise

Its in the big ends, the mains, the small ends, the bores, valves, all the other bearings, its in the grearbox, clutch.. and all over the place. Would you want to keep this engine after this had happened? May as well just put grinding paste in it :blast

That’s not really the way it works with surface wear as the particles are microscopic. Cam wear has been an issue on many cars and bike engines historically ( Ducati 9 series and Honda vf’s for example )and it never had a knock on affect on the engine as a whole. Component break up, as in a gear tooth, sprag failure, spun shell etc is what does the damage as the particles are big enough to damage the surface elsewhere.

Back in the days of Fords Ohc engines which suffered spray bar issues, most engines would go through several cam failures in their lifetime without issue.

That’s not really the way it works with surface wear as the particles are microscopic. Cam wear has been an issue on many cars and bike engines historically ( Ducati 9 series and Honda vf’s for example )and it never had a knock on affect on the engine as a whole. Component break up, as in a gear tooth, sprag failure, spun shell etc is what does the damage as the particles are big enough to damage the surface elsewhere.

Back in the days of Fords Ohc engines which suffered spray bar issues, most engines would go through several cam failures in their lifetime without issue.
I'd agree with that; I've caught it quite early on too. Repair properly and carry on. If it fails again, then that's a whole different matter.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I'm new to BMWs and find their aftersales patchy at best.

I had my 1250 back to Bowkers in Preston and they told me it was the valve decompressor.
It taps once it's warm or if I rev it above five or six thou which suggests to me it isn't the valve decompressor, problem is they don't seem interested.....

I'm new to BMWs and find their aftersales patchy at best.

I had my 1250 back to Bowkers in Preston and they told me it was the valve decompressor.
It taps once it's warm or if I rev it above five or six thou which suggests to me it isn't the valve decompressor, problem is they don't seem interested.....

Great, mines the same and i was going to take it back to Bowkers, I might just ride it till it breaks and see what they say then.

Great, mines the same and i was going to take it back to Bowkers, I might just ride it till it breaks and see what they say then.

I've not had brilliant service from them to be honest, they said there was nothing wrong with it, then there was, then there wasn't.

I was promised a copy of the report from BMW when they decided there was something wrong with it and never heard a thing. The workshop manager was arrogant and quite rude when I mentioned this and told me "he wasn't here to debate that" to which I replied "well find me some one who is"...

To top that off, it came back last time from them with a massive and deep scratch across the tank paintwork.

I'll go to Williams in Manc, they seem to be much better from what I've read elsewhere.

Me and the wife love the bike but the aftersales has been piss poor so in a year or two I'll be looking at a Verys thou more than likely.....

Try Lloyds Carlisle Motorrad good service for the last five years I've been using them......

I’d talk direct to BMW UK, they seem very keen to sort stuff out, particularly where a dealer is being unhelpful.

Helped me with my noisy tyres, which were changed very quickly after the 600 miles service.

Atb
Simon

BMW UK were very keen to demonstrate to me that the ticking from the LHS is "normal", so much so they sent a senior tech up from Reading to Manchester on an identical bike to prove as such.

Is anyone boy here who has buy the new 2021 model to tell us if existing the ticking noise also in the newest models?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my 2019 gs rallye is quiet when cold, then as it warms up, some noise/clatter from left hand cylinder its done 7k miles
this (reading the thread) seems commonplace- whats the consensus? cam wear or decompressor??
only had the bike a month (2 years warranty)
would like it quieter!
will be phoning bahnstormer in the morning....wouldnt mind some advice on how to resolve it

Well my GS1250 has now covered 22k and is still ticking like hell on the left hand pot, it has got no worse (louder) and in all honesty sounds a lot better than most 1200LCs on start up.
Going to try a 2021 in a couple of weeks as we may trade early next year.

Just completed your poll, yes my 2019 ticks. Would be good to gather more info and have a solution from Mr BMW.

As above my 5k miles 2020 1250 exclusive sounds like a diesel tractor on tick over when hot on left cylinder,noise goes above 2.5k revs,not been to dealer YET!

update, spoke to my local service manager the other day and it looks like they (BMW) acknowledge the problem. There is a revised cam chain tensioner and guides. Will be interesting to see how willing BMW will be to modify the existing bikes. not sure if it's been rolled out to the dealers yet

Back
Top Bottom