cylinder ticking noise

update, spoke to my local service manager the other day and it looks like they (BMW) acknowledge the problem. There is a revised cam chain tensioner and guides. Will be interesting to see how willing BMW will be to modify the existing bikes. not sure if it's been rolled out to the dealers yet

Good morning buddy, hope you're well and a happy new year to you.

Did you get any further with this issue on your bike?
Was a new cam chain tensioner and guide fitted resolving the issue?

No I haven't had the bike in since I last spoke to them. I will be raising the question at service time.
My bike will be 3 in September so want this sorted under warranty.
I had actually raised the noise (not specifically tapping) prior to its first annual service.

My 2019 1250 pinks under load 2 up.Tried two different dealers and they are just not interested.Persued it numerous times and took it up with BMW UK.Waste of breath.Looking for alternative bikes but apart from the pinking,its perfect for me.

My 2019 1250 pinks under load 2 up.Tried two different dealers and they are just not interested.Persued it numerous times and took it up with BMW UK.Waste of breath.Looking for alternative bikes but apart from the pinking,its perfect for me.

Just out of interest, what fuel do you primarily use in the bike?

Have experimented with different fuels.Mostly use Shell VPower.But it pinks on all octane ratings.

That’s not really the way it works with surface wear as the particles are microscopic. Cam wear has been an issue on many cars and bike engines historically ( Ducati 9 series and Honda vf’s for example )and it never had a knock on affect on the engine as a whole. Component break up, as in a gear tooth, sprag failure, spun shell etc is what does the damage as the particles are big enough to damage the surface elsewhere.

Back in the days of Fords Ohc engines which suffered spray bar issues, most engines would go through several cam failures in their lifetime without issue.

You think going from zero noise to sounding like a machine gun in 80 miles did he say, is from Microscopic particles? Don'd think so, its through the hard surface and that will be coming off in bigger bits than just sludge.
Mine did the same, from nothing much to machine gun in 150 miles. Had the cams done, 12m on and a new engine.
Also over that time the gearbox became rough as the 'bits' got into the small roller bearings in there.
I'd not be accepting cams as the fix.

Has anyone seen an update from BMW on this issue? It seemed like they acknowledged it and were planning to do something about it this year, but I haven’t seen anything definitive so far.

ticking noise

I must be lucky 22 gsa 1250 i cant hear any ticking noise for the bloody noise coming off the anakee tyres what a racket you would think BMW testers would pick up on this racket only does it at 60mph to 65mph,luckily i have a new set of cta 3 the ones with 8mm of tread not like the w with six mm there is always a catch in the uk lmao

I must be lucky 22 gsa 1250 i cant hear any ticking noise for the bloody noise coming off the anakee tyres what a racket you would think BMW testers would pick up on this racket only does it at 60mph to 65mph,luckily i have a new set of cta 3 the ones with 8mm of tread not like the w with six mm there is always a catch in the uk lmao

Sorry to burst your bubble but the CTA3s “sing” too :nenau

You would hear this LHS ‘cylinder ticking’ noise at idle while the bike is stationary.

Has anyone seen an update from BMW on this issue? It seemed like they acknowledged it and were planning to do something about it this year, but I haven’t seen anything definitive so far.

I was told in mid-January that parts would take a ‘couple of months’ to come in as per the PUMA reference for this known issue (dealer was surprised I knew more about it than them when I took it in initially).

They also acknowledged that it would be fine for me to continue to use the bike in the meantime as I specifically enquired regarding this for the record.

Still waiting for the call.

There's a video on You Tube by a guy named Saficom, search for
BMW 1250 GS Left Cylinder Noise Update from 1 year ago. Lots of comments.. 99 in total, this is a screen shot of 1 of the comments.
a414f4dc87a11dbf6f4aedec80ca6b59.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom