Long distance rides through Spain.

Good tips, Simon, thank you. Great that the forum can create advice like this, to fine tune bod’s holidays. Great also that Davisonstuff had created a lot of his own work, too.

Te section through the Valdepeñas region is very flat and boring. I don't know the region well but my instinct would take be south along the road you can see there, roughly from Elche to Almaden and I'd be very tempted to continue to Mérida, which was one of two Roman capital cities back in the day - I have a home in the other one, Tarragona, and have always wanted to make the pair!

Well worth it in my view, Extramadura is one of our favourite parts of Spain. Merida, Caceres and Trujillo are all UNESCO heritage cities and form a small triangle. Inside this triangle is a granite land of iron oaks and it’s very atmospheric - it also produces the world’s finest ham. :beerjug:

Te section through the Valdepeñas region is very flat and boring. I don't know the region well but my instinct would take be south along the road you can see there, roughly from Elche to Almaden and I'd be very tempted to continue to Mérida, which was one of two Roman capital cities back in the day - I have a home in the other one, Tarragona, and have always wanted to make the pair!

This summer I had a great back-road ride up to the Pyrenees from a friends house north-west of Madrid on the CM-1001 which continues east from the M-102/CM-1002 from Torrelaguna. If you aim to get there from the west you ride through the Sierra de Gradarrama region, where you canpt go wr9mg for scenery/roads ...

Thanks Simon, much appreciated. Been a busy day so not had a chance to look at in detail but will let you know wat I come up with.

Well worth it in my view, Extramadura is one of our favourite parts of Spain. Merida, Caceres and Trujillo are all UNESCO heritage cities and form a small triangle. Inside this triangle is a granite land of iron oaks and it’s very atmospheric - it also produces the world’s finest ham. :beerjug:

The more I look at it the more I like the area. I think I'm leaning towards cutting across from Alicante to Guadalupe/Caceres etc to spend more time discovering Extremadura. Does this mean I have to read the book (DQ) :)

Simon - you posted a pic a while back of you and your bike with the backdrop of a statue and windmill. Was that in Extremadura? If so, exactly where?

Extremadura is the only part of Spain I haven't ridden in. Would have been there this year in different circumstances. The only slight drawback for me is a friend who rode there a few years ago and spent all day at 45 degrees, desperately looking for shade. That sounds like no fun at all.

Extremadura is the only part of Spain I haven't ridden in. Would have been there this year in different circumstances. The only slight drawback for me is a friend who rode there a few years ago and spent all day at 45 degrees, desperately looking for shade. That sounds like no fun at all.

Your friend probably went at the height of summer. Don’t be like your friend.

The more I look at it the more I like the area. I think I'm leaning towards cutting across from Alicante to Guadalupe/Caceres etc to spend more time discovering Extremadura. Does this mean I have to read the book (DQ) :)

Simon - you posted a pic a while back of you and your bike with the backdrop of a statue and windmill. Was that in Extremadura? If so, exactly where?

No, not in Extremadura. As it's Don Quixote it has ti be in 'La Mancha', Mota del Cuervo, Cuenca to be exact :)

Looking back at the map I see that the route I suggested passes through Yeste and the several natural parks there: Rio Mundo, Rio Seguro and the Sierra de Cazorla. I spent several days there staying at Riopar and found lots of amazing riding and fantastic scenery ...

Casares is famously beautiful and more famous lateky as some of Game of Thrones was filmed there ...

Your friend probably went at the height of summer. Don’t be like your friend.

Yeah, 45 degrees would not be good ��. I was thinking of going early June. The thinking is that it will afford a good balance of avoiding the heat of high summer but still possibly allow me to see some remnants of Spring. I’d go in May if I thought I could get away with it but from what I read there’s a much higher chance of rain. Any thoughts anyone?

No, not in Extremadura. As it's Don Quixote it has ti be in 'La Mancha', Mota del Cuervo, Cuenca to be exact :)

Looking back at the map I see that the route I suggested passes through Yeste and the several natural parks there: Rio Mundo, Rio Seguro and the Sierra de Cazorla. I spent several days there staying at Riopar and found lots of amazing riding and fantastic scenery ...

Casares is famously beautiful and more famous lateky as some of Game of Thrones was filmed there ...

Thanks Simon. I must have sounded like Del Boy there. The good thing is though that I’ll be going through Cuenca as well so it still applies, just not for the right reasons. ��

The route takes me right by Yeste and through Riopar. The roads there look great and the country amazing. Looking forward to it.

I’m definitely going to extend route slightly to include Caceres. Looks beautiful. Thanks for the tips.

Don Quixote is indeed the man from La Mancha.

Look forward to seeing Davidsonstuff’s final route.

Yeah, 45 degrees would not be good ��. I was thinking of going early June. The thinking is that it will afford a good balance of avoiding the heat of high summer but still possibly allow me to see some remnants of Spring. I’d go in May if I thought I could get away with it but from what I read there’s a much higher chance of rain. Any thoughts anyone?

Any part of inland Spain could be very hot in July/August, unless you’re high up in the mountains.
We camped at the end of September, beginning of October and the weather was perfect - we originally planned to stay for 2 nights but ended up staying 5 and chasing the ferry. We’ve also been there in March and it was cold.
I’m not sure Extramadura would be for everyone but we found it magical.

Simon mentioned another of our favourite places - Cuenca and specifically, for us, the Cuenca mountains.
Lots of unofficial off-road, wild swimming and wooded mountains as far as the eye can see - there’s also bears there.

That’s the trouble with Spain - you need time in each place to discover the hidden gems.

Simon mentioned another of our favourite places - Cuenca and specifically, for us, the Cuenca mountains.
Lots of unofficial off-road, wild swimming and wooded mountains as far as the eye can see - there’s also bears there.

That’s the trouble with Spain - you need time in each place to discover the hidden gems.

The route takes me through Cuenca and Valdecabras and onto Albarracin from there. It looks an amazing place and the road is fantastic. I have an official campsite in Albarracin in mind so that should be good in terms of bears. Definitely don't want any of that :)

I'd love to spend a couple of months riding it rather then the 2 week flying visit it'll be, but you know how it is.

The route takes me through Cuenca and Valdecabras and onto Albarracin from there. It looks an amazing place and the road is fantastic. I have an official campsite in Albarracin in mind so that should be good in terms of bears. Definitely don't want any of that :)

I'd love to spend a couple of months riding it rather then the 2 week flying visit it'll be, but you know how it is.

We usually go for 3 or 4 weeks and it’s never enough.
I suspect you already know about this place: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciudad_Encantada
as it’s on your route - worth a stop I think.

The route is fantastic, I assume you’re going over the top on the 9161 :okay

There is a lovely campsite just outside Las Majadas : http://www.campinglasmajadas.net/ it’s a great road up there and you’re truly getting into wilderness. The roads from there heading into the mountains are amazing and many are unpaved - although that was changing last time we were there - before the economic crisis so hopefully that’s come to a halt.

We had a 3.5 week trip planned to that area this year :(. This thread is making me want To go next year instead of our planned trip to Greece and the Balkans.

PS Simon100 is the man for campsite advice around Albarracin - well all advice about Spain really ��

Back
Top Bottom