Long distance rides through Spain.

There's always a Youtube of the best routes, but this is the only one I0ve found, the rider is a bit laid back - as is the music! - but you get the drift. As you can see the roads in this regiin are narow, and visibility poor, as I said this is one of the better ones!

Simon - That looks like a really nice road though you can see how narrow it is at 3:05 when the car passes. Taken at half speed I'm sure it would be a lovely ride. I've amended the route to accommodate this and your recommended 7402 just after Porrera. The goal is to get from Gandesa to Vimbodi (via Vilanova de Prades). Time is not a concern which is why I've routed via Asco rather than getting to Falset directly via the N-420 and Mora. What do you think? I bow to your experience so feel free to suggest an alternative. Thanks.

https://goo.gl/maps/N2qWj7S4SURmA5qr7

One of my favourite ever rides was from Tortosa to (in no particular order that I can remember) Bisbal de Falset, Capafonts, Pratdip, Mora d'Ebre and back to Tortosa. Perfectly surfaced roads that had been used for the Catalan WRC round a few weeks before - indeed it was seeing the road of a previous WRC on the telly that gave me the idea to go there. To my mind, they were roads that were made for a GS (I was on a R1200GS). They weren't the widest roads in the world and visibility was limited by the twists and the elevation changes. I doubt these roads would appear on any "must do" lists but they were truly fantastic. Don't always feel the need to do what someone else recommends - not least because they will have recommended them to others as well.

(I believe I have mentioned before my fantastic heroic riding challenge between Flix and Bisbal: I was on my perfectly prepared GS, with Road Attack tyres on that gave fantastic steering response, aftermarket exhaust to release a few extra BHP. It was a sunny May morning. I was well rested, fed and watered in the hotel in Tortosa. I was truly on top of my game, riding like a hero, carving perfect lines....

Up ahead in the distance I spotted a couple of other bikes. Determined to show them what a heroic Son of Albion could do on a well-prepped GS, I settled down to attacking riding, second and third gears for ages, daredevil late braking, squirming tyres and laying darkies on the exits. Making the most of my £600 vented textile suit, racing boots, kangaroo skin gloves. Blah blah blah. I could see I was slowly reeling them in but bugger me, it was hard work. Intense concentration, sweat running into my eyes. I was not going to give up; there was pride at stake here. I wasn't going to let a couple of Johnny Foreigner types beat me on their power ranger bikes.

After about 30 minutes, I caught up with the first bike but couldn't squeeze by for a while. This let the lead bike widen the gap at a particularly twisty bit so I didn't see if for a few minutes. When I passed the rear bike, I redoubled my efforts to close down the leader. Eventually I caught up and passed him. An old bloke in t-shirt, shorts and flip flops on a scooter. And I was videoing the ride as well...)

(I believe I have mentioned before my fantastic heroic riding challenge between Flix and Bisbal: I was on my perfectly prepared GS, with Road Attack tyres on that gave fantastic steering response, aftermarket exhaust to release a few extra BHP. It was a sunny May morning. I was well rested, fed and watered in the hotel in Tortosa. I was truly on top of my game, riding like a hero, carving perfect lines....

Up ahead in the distance I spotted a couple of other bikes. Determined to show them what a heroic Son of Albion could do on a well-prepped GS, I settled down to attacking riding, second and third gears for ages, daredevil late braking, squirming tyres and laying darkies on the exits. Making the most of my £600 vented textile suit, racing boots, kangaroo skin gloves. Blah blah blah. I could see I was slowly reeling them in but bugger me, it was hard work. Intense concentration, sweat running into my eyes. I was not going to give up; there was pride at stake here. I wasn't going to let a couple of Johnny Foreigner types beat me on their power ranger bikes.

After about 30 minutes, I caught up with the first bike but couldn't squeeze by for a while. This let the lead bike widen the gap at a particularly twisty bit so I didn't see if for a few minutes. When I passed the rear bike, I redoubled my efforts to close down the leader. Eventually I caught up and passed him. An old bloke in t-shirt, shorts and flip flops on a scooter. And I was videoing the ride as well...)

That made me laugh, not least because it's a tale that I can also relate to. Strangely enough these experiences have increased as the years have gone by. Funny that.

One of my favourite ever rides was from Tortosa to (in no particular order that I can remember) Bisbal de Falset, Capafonts, Pratdip, Mora d'Ebre and back to Tortosa. Perfectly surfaced roads that had been used for the Catalan WRC round a few weeks before - indeed it was seeing the road of a previous WRC on the telly that gave me the idea to go there. To my mind, they were roads that were made for a GS (I was on a R1200GS). They weren't the widest roads in the world and visibility was limited by the twists and the elevation changes. I doubt these roads would appear on any "must do" lists but they were truly fantastic. Don't always feel the need to do what someone else recommends - not least because they will have recommended them to others as well.

Probably wearing is granddaughter's contacts as well! :)

Simon - That looks like a really nice road though you can see how narrow it is at 3:05 when the car passes. Taken at half speed I'm sure it would be a lovely ride. I've amended the route to accommodate this and your recommended 7402 just after Porrera. The goal is to get from Gandesa to Vimbodi (via Vilanova de Prades). Time is not a concern which is why I've routed via Asco rather than getting to Falset directly via the N-420 and Mora. What do you think? I bow to your experience so feel free to suggest an alternative. Thanks.

https://goo.gl/maps/N2qWj7S4SURmA5qr7

Your better route o to Gandesa would be via Pinel de Brai

Central Spain - Summer 2022

Hi all,
I eventually settled on a route and spent 2 weeks in Spain from June 15. I had a fantastic time. Thanks to all who contributed to the discussion which helped form my overall route.

The route ridden was:
Santander / Covarrubias / Mora de Rubielos / Albarracin / Madrid / Candelario / Pola de Somiedo / Potes / St-Jean-Pied-de-Port

Just like I did with my Spanish Pyrenees trip in 2020 I'd like to share some of my favourite roads for your own databases. See below

Here's a link to a ride report. Lots of self-indulgent guff but you can skip all that and have a browse of the pics - https://sdtravelogue.blogspot.com/2022/08/spain-summer-2022.html?view=magazine

Bets of the Best Roads ...
BU-901 / BU-910 - Cuevas de San Clemente/Covarrubias/Santo Domingo de Silos
A-1702 (Silent Route) - Gargallo to Fortanete
A-1701 - Rubielos de Mora to Vilafranca
A-226 - Bordon to Embalse de Santolea
CV-14 - Aguaviva/Zorita del Maestrazgo/Ortells
CV-195 - Puerto de Arenillas - between Montanejos and Cuadiel
CV-20 - Onda/Montanejos/Olba
CV-190 - Cortes de Arenoso to Zucaina
CV-170 - Atzeneta del Maestrat/Port del Collao/Vistabella del Maestrazgo (THE road of the trip)
CM-2106 - Beteta to Tragacete
AV-900 - Avila to Navalmoral
AV-905 - Navalmoral to Hoyocasero
OU-122 - La Bana to Sobradero
LE-715 - Fresnedo to Sobreda del Sil
AS-227 - Piedrafita de Babia to Belmonte
CA-274 - Ruerrero to Puerto Carrales
NA-718 - A1 to Artavia
NA-700 - Zabal to Etxauri
NA-135 - Pamplona to St-Jean-Pied-De-Port

Would be keen to hear the thoughts of other who have ridden some of these roads/areas
Steve

the only one I have ridden is the AS227 through the Somiedo National Park and it was one of the highlights of my time in Asturias in 2018.

The N135 is one of my options to get from Santander into France but I am favouring the Puerto de Larrau at the moment. It will be mid September so I will decide based on local weather on the day.

I've overlaid all the suggested routes in this thread and, bugger me, there's no roads left to avoid. So all the roads in Spain are excellent, right? It doesn't matter where you go, they are all fantastic?

the only one I have ridden is the AS227 through the Somiedo National Park and it was one of the highlights of my time in Asturias in 2018.

The N135 is one of my options to get from Santander into France but I am favouring the Puerto de Larrau at the moment. It will be mid September so I will decide based on local weather on the day.

Puerto de Larrau is brilliant. The camping at Ochagavia is a great base to explore the region

Puerto de Larrau is brilliant. The camping at Ochagavia is a great base to explore the region

thanks, I have booked a Logis hotel in Montory. Then plan to make my way over the lovely Col de Marie Blanque and hopefully go over Aubisque & Tourmalet without riding in thick cloud like 2019. Then settle in Vielha for a couple of days in Hotel Eth Pomer.

Don't forget the Irati route!

what's the road no? I asked Google maps and it was not very precise, sticking me in the middle of a forest. If time allows, I will do the D19/D18 to St Jean then loop back to Montory via Col d'Osquich. Only starting at the Parador in Argomaniz so no huge mileage.

If you see a tall chap on a slightly care worn 1150 GSA and a short chap on an even more care worn Honda 500X - say hi..

Will be in that area around the same time!

what's the road no? I asked Google maps and it was not very precise, sticking me in the middle of a forest. If time allows, I will do the D19/D18 to St Jean then loop back to Montory via Col d'Osquich. Only starting at the Parador in Argomaniz so no huge mileage.

Irati is the name of a forest that span's the frontier, the Irati Run is a famous feature of Le Tour but our litttle moto bikies get a look in too!

Hi all,
I eventually settled on a route and spent 2 weeks in Spain from June 15. I had a fantastic time. Thanks to all who contributed to the discussion which helped form my overall route.

The route ridden was:
Santander / Covarrubias / Mora de Rubielos / Albarracin / Madrid / Candelario / Pola de Somiedo / Potes / St-Jean-Pied-de-Port

Just like I did with my Spanish Pyrenees trip in 2020 I'd like to share some of my favourite roads for your own databases. See below

Here's a link to a ride report. Lots of self-indulgent guff but you can skip all that and have a browse of the pics - https://sdtravelogue.blogspot.com/2022/08/spain-summer-2022.html?view=magazine

Bets of the Best Roads ...
BU-901 / BU-910 - Cuevas de San Clemente/Covarrubias/Santo Domingo de Silos
A-1702 (Silent Route) - Gargallo to Fortanete
A-1701 - Rubielos de Mora to Vilafranca
A-226 - Bordon to Embalse de Santolea
CV-14 - Aguaviva/Zorita del Maestrazgo/Ortells
CV-195 - Puerto de Arenillas - between Montanejos and Cuadiel
CV-20 - Onda/Montanejos/Olba
CV-190 - Cortes de Arenoso to Zucaina
CV-170 - Atzeneta del Maestrat/Port del Collao/Vistabella del Maestrazgo (THE road of the trip)
CM-2106 - Beteta to Tragacete
AV-900 - Avila to Navalmoral
AV-905 - Navalmoral to Hoyocasero
OU-122 - La Bana to Sobradero
LE-715 - Fresnedo to Sobreda del Sil
AS-227 - Piedrafita de Babia to Belmonte
CA-274 - Ruerrero to Puerto Carrales
NA-718 - A1 to Artavia
NA-700 - Zabal to Etxauri
NA-135 - Pamplona to St-Jean-Pied-De-Port

Would be keen to hear the thoughts of other who have ridden some of these roads/areas
Steve

These have certainly been filed for future use on my next foray into mainland Spain, thanks for taking the time to list and post.
Also enjoyed the report of your trip. :thumb2

Irati is the name of a forest that span's the frontier, the Irati Run is a famous feature of Le Tour but our litttle moto bikies get a look in too!

just realised the route I have in mind goes through a village called Iraty, where the D19 becomes the D18. There's a hotel there I looked at booking but a bit far west for the start of the next day. Seems there are various spellings, Irati, Iraty, Itatiko, Ilarrita showing on Google maps.

Your video showed sections of the D18.

Back
Top Bottom