Long distance rides through Spain.

just realised the route I have in mind goes through a village called Iraty, where the D19 becomes the D18. There's a hotel there I looked at booking but a bit far west for the start of the next day. Seems there are various spellings, Irati, Iraty, Itatiko, Ilarrita showing on Google maps.

Your video showed sections of the D18.

Spanish, French and Basque

thanks, I have booked a Logis hotel in Montory. Then plan to make my way over the lovely Col de Marie Blanque and hopefully go over Aubisque & Tourmalet without riding in thick cloud like 2019. Then settle in Vielha for a couple of days in Hotel Eth Pomer.

It's worth consdering staying on the southern side of the Pyrenees as fog on the north is very typical and you can be stuck all morning waiting for it to clear while over in Spain - yes I know Vielha is in Spain! :) - i will have been bright and sunny since dawn. Without starting a Spain vs France debate you also have longer evenings to ride or play before supper - and the grub's better IMHO :)

ifog1.jpg

Here's your Puerto de Larrau take on fine day in June 2012. I greatlty regretted riding up there as I once in the fog I was sy¡tuck on the narrow road for about twenty kms before I could findf a place to turn around as there was no marking on the verge on the vertiginous road - it's a bit better now ...

Back
Top Bottom