Operation Emerald Escape

S N69 done and roll into Limerick, again a pretty place but slightly odd in so much as its dine out only so a bit of a pain........

We luckily find a fabulous place with and outdoor heated dining area and parking for bike right outside.....

At this point we encounter our first bit of rain on this side of the water, it rains a bit whilst we have coffee and lunch, but then happily stops in time for our departure.

As well roll out of Limerick headed for Galway, the roads dry out after about 2 miles and its 14 deg and blue skies again, cashback. :okay

Yeah, we all try & do that :D

The Shannon tunnel is a help but still a bit close for comfort, the Tarbert ferry is a safer bet :aidan

But to fair, there are some nice places even in the city and can be interesting place to walk around and eat.

Not Donkey Fordes Chipper though in my opinion !

But to fair, there are some nice places even in the city and can be interesting place to walk around and eat.
You're right Pat. Like lots of places the old / central part is ok but the suburbs aren't. It didn't get the "Stab City" moniker for nothing :augie

True. But I'm still waiting for your suggestion for a better FishDash destination :p

**Thread hijack over, more please S92GS :tumbleweed

Pleasant hijacking always welcome :)

Hospital tomorrow.

I’ll pick it up after that again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, Donkey Fords although legendary can be a bit hit and miss but you won't beat it for value. Fish meal deal: fresh whiting and chip and can of club orange for €6... had it yesterday and enjoyed it. They have been feeding Limerick folk for generations, family run and one of the lads claim to fame is he can peel a potato with one hand.

True. But I'm still waiting for your suggestion for a better FishDash destination :p

The place you are looking for in Limerick is Luigis opposite the railway station.

The "Stab City" moniker has blighted Limerick for decades but that was before the ready availability of the Glock 9mm and stabbing someone to death has since become somewhat out of vogue. In fairness the Gardai have done some good work and Dublin has had a much higher murder rate per capita in the last decade.

That said if folk were thinking of following this route there is a recommended opportunity at Tarbert to take the Tarbert Ferry across and continue through the Clare countryside and along the coast to Galway, passing one of our well known tourist spots the Cliffs of Moher. Alternatively as the OP said N69 towards Limerick is quite a nice biking road.

"Limerick City is almost 1,100 years old. It has been a Viking settlement, a medieval walled town, a Georgian city and is now a modern, vibrant metropolitan area with a rich and historic hinterland. Limerick was founded by the Vikings around 922 AD"

Hi,

All good I’m happy to report, weight off my mind, now...... that Limerick thing.....

Have done pretty much the same trip, only the other way round. We had ‘bike security’ in Dublin. He was a very big chap but quite a local character. €10 seemed a bargain. The B and B in Tralee was a strange one.. all very modern and nicely painted on the outside..... stepping back 40 years on the inside ..and a collection of budgeriegars that didn’t shut up.

Good stuff.

I’ll pick this up again soon I promise. :)

Much more fun and photos to come ......

Glad you enjoyed your trip

Hi,

All good I’m happy to report, weight off my mind, now...... that Limerick thing.....

Hmm.. stab city... we were going to go there but after wife’s cousins recoiled at the mention of a visit and the when we were having tea at Father Teds house and two other people said don’t bother, we didn’t go .

Stayed in Killarney for a couple of days. Enjoyed that place.

It’s really odd.

I had no idea of it’s reputation before reading posts on here.

I think sub consciously because it sound a jolly place that’s what I had pictured.

To be fair it was a quick stop and head off again, but what we saw looked ok, although there was one dodgy looking local woman sans teeth and IQ

Have a read of Angela’s Ashes :eek:
Enjoying the RR - thanks

Where was I..........

Coming out of Limerick.

One last rhyme enters my brain.....

"Roads twist as I gun up the bike,

Speed Cams can go take a hike,

Ive got a 1.2 litre,

Panniers full of Bel Vita,

Its sunny still, what's not to like."

Ill stick to the day job......

So its onwards towards Sligo via Loch Conn.

Weather holds and its dry and sunny.

Fab roads and zero traffic.

In cafe in Limerick I noticed that the Wild Atlantic Highway is probably on the menu for tomorrow.

Shall have a bone up. on that tonight.

On coffee break I book a beautiful hotel online. It looks amazing......... too good to be true ??

Will it be open, will I get stuck on a remote hill somewhere as it goes dark......

Come on Booking . com. you fucked me over before, not now please........

The hamlet of Ballysadare comes up and Mr Garmin sent me along a very small road towards this hotel...........

Im not feeling particularly confident but then, presto, it appears :okay

117c62a74858fd7c52bacc59602dcdf5.jpg

Kerching.

45 quid.

Obviously I tell Tracy it was a fortune , but hey you’re worth it

Keep it dirty side down troops.....

ccc7e2a4e5b5b5c4469c1e791b9618bf.jpg

Highly recommended

We amble out for a walk round, bit of map study and chill in a lovely room.

I’m very much looking forward to the WAH tomorrow.

Great trip so far......

Keep it dirty side down troops.....

Day 6

This starts with a breakfast that would kill a Gazelle pilot.

On peeking out the window............its dry and sunny again.

This is going to be a fucking great day..............

Back
Top Bottom