Seized Oil Filter R1200RT (2007)

NeilH

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
When I did the bike service the last thing that remained was to do an oil change. So the last service agent has clearly over tightened the filter or failed to apply grease or oil as part of the seal.

Before I totally go and burr or misshape the filter using the filter wrench, what have you done to overcome this. The oil filter is recessed and very little opportunity to do much.

I could drill 4 holes in the head of the oil filter wrench and try and put some self tapping screws in to secure it, there doesn't seem to be any space or very little access on the side to get a screws in.

Thoughts?

one of these

41gBmS9EVzL.jpg

I actually do have one of those but is just tends to slip, I could put some double sided tape (Just thought about that) around the filter then try again!~ I would rather do that first than attempt drilling holes.

You could try,

Attachments

• CC7F54E2-2B05-4521-B056-FA8141273EDE.jpeg
    CC7F54E2-2B05-4521-B056-FA8141273EDE.jpeg
    12.9 KB · Views: 489
drill 2 holes in your filter tool opposite each other , get 2 THICK 2in self-tapping bolts , fit tool , hit bolts through holes , undo.

I actually do have one of those but is just tends to slip, I could put some double sided tape (Just thought about that) around the filter then try again!~ I would rather do that first than attempt drilling holes.

Deffo . Get it as tight as possible and decrease the filter before trying

Filter tool Drill holes in from the top NOT The sides and screw in decent self tappers and give that a blast

Be thankful its not a 1200 Oilhead

Be prepared if its a cheap as schite Hi Flo to have the cylinder of the filter spin on the rolled joint of the flange!

Is there enough clearance to use this on the RT? Will the leg actually fit between the filter and engine casing?

I doubt it!!

The other thing you can do is get a half sheet of W&D sandpaper trim it to about the diameter of the filter + an inch in a circle

And set it into the filter tool and tap it on to the filter

Nice and Tight and then try to spin the filter off

With 1200 Hex heads the tightening instructions are on the filter but translated from french makes most sense

Tighten by hand until tight and then 3/4 of a turn more

Plus 3/4 turn sounds more than plenty.
I've usually found the recommended torque setting only adds about 15-20° after its seated on its seal

Plus 3/4 turn sounds more than plenty.
I've usually found the recommended torque setting only adds about 15-20° after its seated on its seal

It is written in the instructions onthe filter by the manufacturer!

Tighten by hand and then a further 3/4s of a turn

It is written in the instructions onthe filter by the manufacturer!

Tighten by hand and then a further 3/4s of a turn

And therin lies a problem,

A lubricated seal will tighten by hand more than an unlubricated seal

however your or my hand tight, will be way way less than my wifes hand tight.

Ive seen lads tighten a filter so tight, that the lip of the filter is touching the sump ! hand tight ;)

Back
Top Bottom