Balkans - Multi-country tour

Wapping

Reaction score
This from Tourenfahrer magagazine 12 / 20 might be of some interest.

3,556 km (2,222 miles) with GPS downloads available from the magazine’s website.

0f58f44c6250b0ee1104b7b185603ff1.jpg

https://www.tourenfahrer.de/tour-datenbank/tour/balkan-imbiss-981/detail/

Along with ideas on places to visit. Yes, it’s in foreign but you’d be pretty dumb if you couldn’t get even a basic idea of what the author was in about.

f37dd362d262b78b406cbf46bceb6f03.png

They both look like being good routes, I’ve taken one very similar to Lee’s one from Dresden to Constanta and one from Sebes to Zagrebvia via Timisoara along roughly the same lines as the Tourenfahrer one and my only comment on that one is that in torrential rain the tramlines criss crossing Timisoara make it a bit precarious at times :eek:

Once you get into Romania expectations regarding distances that can be covered in a day go right in the bin so I’d never try to book hotels in advance unless I was being very conservative about them. You’ll get a mixture of excellent roads that have been resurfaced in the last 5 years, mile after mile of roadworks and ones that’ll shake the bike to pieces but that just adds to the entertainment :beerjug:

I can highly recommend the Trans Alpina, way better than the Tranfurgarrassan in my opinion.

N to S then into Bulgaria.

A fabulous few hundred miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can highly recommend the Trans Alpina, way better than the Tranfurgarrassan in my opinion.

N to S then into Bulgaria.

A fabulous few hundred miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d say yes and no regarding the Transalpina. Taken on its own the part that’s recognised as the Transalpina is a high pass but I thought it lacked variety but if you start from Sebes so you include the wider, more sweeping bends as you head up past the dam and the lakes before dropping down to the 7A before setting off up all the hairpins then yes, it’s a better road.

Either way it’s worth the miles from the UK to ride it :thumb2

I have only ridden once in Romania. As Andy said, sometimes billiard table smooth roads, then suddenly a massive hole for no apparent reason, all surrounded by some great scenery. Horse drawn carts, mixing with brand new 7 series BMW cars.

I have only ridden once in Romania. As Andy said, sometimes billiard table smooth roads, then suddenly a massive hole for no apparent reason, all surrounded by some great scenery. Horse drawn carts, mixing with brand new 7 series BMW cars.

Yeap . Don't ride a night in the Balkans

Since I noticed the beautiful Greek route you chose to pass, I came up with an advise: Avoid riding at night, as many users said! There are extremely dangerous routes in many parts of highways. No lights, abandoned roads and inapropriate environment for bikes. Additionally, you will enjoy it much more riding at day.

Back
Top Bottom