Loose spokes.....

Got the call that the Urban was ready for collection so when i arrived i asked why they couldn't have simply tightened up the spokes. I was told that the guidance from BMW is that if up to 3 spokes are loose they can be tightened up but any more than 3 and it's new wheels. This is due to 3 or more loose spokes will have an affect on the alignment of the wheel and the dealerships don't have the specific tools needed to confirm the wheels are true.
Mine had 9 loose on the rear and all of the front ones were below tolerance, hence x2 new wheels...

That is typical of the dealer/BMW technician methods, it make you wonder where the all the mechanics/skilled technician with abilities to true wheels have gone? Just look in the "airhead" section there are quite a few companies and even owners who can rebuild cross spoke wheels they, have been in use since the 1980's. I wonder how a few hundred pound of truing compares with new wheels. There must be a lot of almost new wheels at BMW dealers looking for new homes.

Back
Top Bottom