Chernobyl

Scroot

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Intending if not locked down to do a trip to Chernobyl. Any advice out there? Apart from don't go.!!

If you go with someone, make sure that you don't fallout. :D :D

Intending if not locked down to do a trip to Chernobyl. Any advice out there? Apart from don't go.!!

Went last Summer (2019). Side trip from a bike trip loop through Russia. Used Solo East and the three of us hired a guide and got a mini bus and tour all to ourselves.
Was a very good day out and it all went without a hitch. Mini bus turned up as promised outside out hotel in Kiev. It's over an hour to travel to Chernobyl from there but the mini bus had video screens and showed some pretty interesting stuff on the way there. The authorities are pretty serious about getting in and out there so I don't see how you can just have a look yourself these days. Cost $546; all in, including the hire of three geiger counters at $8 each. Don't go without geiger counters; it's intersting looking for hot spots with them.

Why shouldn’t you go to the Ukraine with your flies undone?

Because..... Cher knob’ll fall out.

Going by bike? If so, see if you can get permission to travel through to Belarus.

Look here for a few more interesting places to visit on your way there and back.

Do go!
It’s an amazing experience. We rode over there in 2018, and had prebooked with Chernobyl tours. The guides are usually youngsters who speak perfect English, and were good fun, and quite happy to talk about anything (there is a lot of walking around, so plenty of opportunity to chat)
Do as you are told though, the group we were in had a couple of folks that insisted in getting the Geiger counters right up to the hotspots, which is a no-no.
Kiev it’s self is a fantastic city. Probably one of the safest places I’ve been at night. The females are also VERY easy on the eye!

I did a Facebook blog, which you can view if you search “Don’t come back”

Cheers
Dave

Do go!
It’s an amazing experience. We rode over there in 2018, and had prebooked with Chernobyl tours. The guides are usually youngsters who speak perfect English, and were good fun, and quite happy to talk about anything (there is a lot of walking around, so plenty of opportunity to chat)
Do as you are told though, the group we were in had a couple of folks that insisted in getting the Geiger counters right up to the hotspots, which is a no-no.
Kiev it’s self is a fantastic city. Probably one of the safest places I’ve been at night. The females are also VERY easy on the eye!

Having a read of that blog, thanks!

Going by bike? If so, see if you can get permission to travel through to Belarus.

Look here for a few more interesting places to visit on your way there and back.

Belarus is a lovely country, amazing people :thumb

:beerjug:

Kiev is a fantastic city i lived there for about 6 months while working in Eastern Europe - the place is buzzing hot spot and comes alive at night - the nice hotels are a little bit of a hot spot for the working girls but the lower quality hotels often get locals drinking in the bars and the Kiev people are very friendly and will want to show you their city.

Rik

If you didn't catch the TV series Chernobyl, that is well worth watching. Very good indeed. :thumb2

Do go!

Cheers
Dave

Did you have any issues on the polish/Ukraine border? Been reading about huge queues thanks

Did you have any issues on the polish/Ukraine border? Been reading about huge queues thanks

There are queues, miles and miles of trucks, and a sizeable queue of cars, but being on a bike, we got basically waved to the front by car drivers, and one old couple with a sidecar told us to follow them to the front. The theory being that a bike takes 20 mins to check passports and luggage. A car takes much longer. The big border control on the Krakow to Lviv road was a breeze, all told we were through in about an hour. On the way back we came through at Uzhhorod on the Slovakian border, it took much longer as it was quite small, and took a while to filter through the traffic
Cheers
Dave

I went there for a visit in 2019 (not on the bike unfortunately) and it is truly an amazing experience.
Be aware though that you cant just turn up and go in for a nosey, you have to go as part of a guided tour (we did ours from Kiev about two hours away) and you have to go via organized transport (cant take your bike in). There is a hotel in the exclusion zone you can stay in as well!
Really worth the trip but dont underestimate the size of Ukraine, its huge with lots of 'nothing' in between towns/ cities

Back
Top Bottom