Ex police rt 1200 tc

hairysteve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm considering the purchase of a late model rt1200 tc ex police bike. Was wondering what spec these tend to be. This is the single seat model with small panniers and storage box where rear seat should be. Do they have heated seat/grips, cruise control, esa and so on or do they tend to be a basic no frills machine. Anyone with experience of these, would value input.....

I'm considering the purchase of a late model rt1200 tc ex police bike. Was wondering what spec these tend to be. This is the single seat model with small panniers and storage box where rear seat should be. Do they have heated seat/grips, cruise control, esa and so on or do they tend to be a basic no frills machine. Anyone with experience of these, would value input.....

How much are you looking to spend?

They will be high mileage , But should come with a comprehensive service history .... but they may require work when you buy one (service / brakes / clutch etc)

they usually are POV spec, so the bare minimum, and will be missing all the parts for pillion use (rear pegs, hangers , rack etc)

do a search on here, many threads detailing the pro's and cons

I may be wrong, but i think they have a different gearbox & Fd ratios

personally i'd look elsewhere for a non plod unit .... but at the end of the day it's your call

:)

Bike I'm considering is a 2014 '63' plate model. Apparently has full history print out, around 38k showing and £4400. It's a cheap rt compared to many...

Bike I'm considering is a 2014 '63' plate model. Apparently has full history print out, around 38k showing and £4400. It's a cheap rt compared to many...

Here's another cheap one - much better spec than an ex police bike and the mileage is backed up by BMW dealer service. I was looking at this and asked them for the registration to check its MOT History (FD12NKP). I've bought a different bike but this could be good if you're on a budget and were prepared to live with higher mileage.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202010285539011?price-from=4000&sort=price-asc&include-delivery-option=on&radius=1500&make=BMW&postcode=ld15np&price-to=5000&model=R1200RT&advertising-location=at_bikes&page=1

How much are you looking to spend?

They will be high mileage ,

Not necessarily so. Depends which force it's from.
I once bought a police bike from auction with only 4k genuine miles from the North Wales police, and quite a few others with less than 10K.
Cumbria used to have low mileage bikes as they only used them in summer.

I bought a 2012 RT-P for a winter hack, 40k on the clock. Gave it a full service and ran it for a year. It never missed a beat.

Loved the slim panniers, and engine bars but be sure you don’t want to take a pillion as conversation is expensive imho.

But great bike, caused me to upgrade to LC version! Was mega for the 400mile weekly commute to keep the miles & salt off my GSA.

Good lick, great bikes

Not necessarily so. Depends which force it's from.
I once bought a police bike from auction with only 4k genuine miles from the North Wales police, and quite a few others with less than 10K.
Cumbria used to have low mileage bikes as they only used them in summer.

Why is it?
When I see xxxx genuine miles, I think........... and 50k none-genuine ones?

Why is it?
When I see xxxx genuine miles, I think........... and 50k none-genuine ones?

Police budgets are complicated things! Each department may well have its own budget and will spend that as it sees fit.

Just once in a while you might get a quirk like say, a crash investigation department buying a motorbike. They might use it to reconstruct accidents (what speed can I safely take this bend at, what can I see on the road at different points in the reconstruction, etc) they might even wangle with the budget bosses that they need a bike to nip off and take statements on ....

Special constables have a huge budget!! Its all government subsidised! They may well 'buy' a bike.

When this sort of thing happens, that bike is that departments bike. Yes, if you go cap in hand and ask to borrow it for the day then they'll lend it out to another department, but by and large, only they will use it.

Thats the sort of scenario where you get a low milage bike.

Worthy of note, is that most 'response' vehicles are fucking hammered !! I wouldn't buy one !! They may well have been serviced regularly, but fuck .... they don't half get abused!

If you know the history of something (above scenario) then yeah - great buy. But a marked RT of a traffic / interceptor / bike team department ?? Its probably had a pretty hard life !!

Also worthy of note is that peepes think that we get super dooper bikes that are 'special'. yeah we do - they're below the bottom rung of the ladder !!

My marked bike has no electronic suspension, non adjustable front, and a spring on the rear and thats it! They are made to a budget, and are not fancy bits of kit by any stretch of the imagination.

They'd make a good courier bike, or a DSA instructing bike or the like, but if you want pride and joy and all that guff, you're probably better off buying private with a bit more spec and one thats not been thrashed !

:thumb2

Police budgets are complicated things! Each department may well have its own budget and will spend that as it sees fit.

Just once in a while you might get a quirk like say, a crash investigation department buying a motorbike. They might use it to reconstruct accidents (what speed can I safely take this bend at, what can I see on the road at different points in the reconstruction, etc) they might even wangle with the budget bosses that they need a bike to nip off and take statements on ....

Special constables have a huge budget!! Its all government subsidised! They may well 'buy' a bike.

When this sort of thing happens, that bike is that departments bike. Yes, if you go cap in hand and ask to borrow it for the day then they'll lend it out to another department, but by and large, only they will use it.

Thats the sort of scenario where you get a low milage bike.

Worthy of note, is that most 'response' vehicles are fucking hammered !! I wouldn't buy one !! They may well have been serviced regularly, but fuck .... they don't half get abused!

If you know the history of something (above scenario) then yeah - great buy. But a marked RT of a traffic / interceptor / bike team department ?? Its probably had a pretty hard life !!

Also worthy of note is that peepes think that we get super dooper bikes that are 'special'. yeah we do - they're below the bottom rung of the ladder !!

My marked bike has no electronic suspension, non adjustable front, and a spring on the rear and thats it! They are made to a budget, and are not fancy bits of kit by any stretch of the imagination.

They'd make a good courier bike, or a DSA instructing bike or the like, but if you want pride and joy and all that guff, you're probably better off buying private with a bit more spec and one thats not been thrashed !

:thumb2

Good to have your wisdom back in the forum now that your due date is approaching. I've missed your contributions. Thanks ps, not the photos

Harsh Don .... Harsh ...... :D

They probably clocked it :D

I bought three police bikes at the auction, and i only had a two bike trailer. They were so stupidly cheap i had no choice.

As i was loading the 4k miler onto the trailer and pondering on the wisdom of buying the third bike and the prospect a long drive back in a couple of days to collect it, a man asked if i'd sell the low mileage bike, he'd been held up and missed the auction.

How's your luck.... problem solved, i took a £500 profit there and then.

So basically i got paid £500 not to drive back to North Wales. :D

I was keen 30 years ago and would travel all over the country buying police bikes at auction.

Back
Top Bottom