Recommended tyres for 'adventure' riding

Lee Frost

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm going to swap the Tourances on my G310 in the New Year for something more knobbly that I can use for riding the back lanes, but also trails as well.
I've had Mitas tyres on numerous bikes before (DRZ400s, KTMs), and also had TKC80s on an XT600 years ago. Not sure if the TKCs would be better as they're slightly more road orientated, though I did ride my KTM640 Adv from Surrey to Mid-Wales on Mitas tyres, spent the weekend trail riding and camping, then rode back to Surrey straight off the trails and they coped well. E09 rear and C19 front if I remember correctly.
Advice/opinions appreciated.

I've used the Mitas combo on my old Husky. I liked them on road a lot and off road they were great in everything over than mud. My problem with them is the blocks are not very deep when new so soon get to a point where, although not badly worn they start to struggle for grip off road.

My go to off road tyre with good road manners is still Pirelli's good ol' MT21, I've used them for years and just seem to get on with them really well.

I think though they only do a 21" front, your bike is 19" isn't it?

Andres

lot a people seem to like the Motz tyres, I think adventure spec do them, might be tempted to try those especially as the tread is supposed to be deeper from the get go than any other make

Having done a bit of research since starting this thread, it seems my options are maybe limited. I have the tubed Rally Raid spoked wheels - 19in front and 17in rear. Most of the more aggressive tyres are tubeless. What's the situation with putting tubeless tyres on tubed rims and sticking a tube in? That's what I've got at the moment. I just checked and the Tourances on my rims are clearly marked 'Tubeless' (they came off the original tubeless BMW cast alloys that were in my bike), but it says on the tyre wall 'On tubed tyre rim fit a tube'. Does the same apply to most/all tubeless tyres?

Michelin Trackers.
Happy right up to the axles on a 690 Enduro R as well as choice of Si Hewitt and Neil Hawker on their Rally bikes.
On a 310 I’d put mousses in as well and enjoy loads of grip and no punctures.
Issue might be the lack of a 21” front though.
Nonissue putting tubes in though

Michelin Trackers.
Happy right up to the axles on a 690 Enduro R as well as choice of Si Hewitt and Neil Hawker on their Rally bikes.
On a 310 I’d put mousses in as well and enjoy loads of grip and no punctures.
Issue might be the lack of a 21” front though.
Nonissue putting tubes in though

Thanks. Unfortunately, they're not available in the sizes I need (150/70 17 and 110/80 19)

Tyres

+1 for Wilds. Very good on road if you can get past the initial twitch as it tips into a corner:eek:
Good off road but clog up with mud if it's very wet/sticky.
Did c.3000 miles on mine ,still loads of life in them.
Depends on your intended usage but they're certainly a good compromise if you are doing a fair bit of road work to get to the trails.

pm sent wilds ax41 or mitas just change sizes go a bit smaller co2 would be good off road

Have a look at the Motoz tyres.

I'd have used them but they don't do a narrow enough rear for my bike.

Adventure-Spec sell them.

e o9 but since put the annakee wild front back on . seems more stable

My go to off road tyre with good road manners is still Pirelli's good ol' MT21, I've used them for years and just seem to get on with them really well.

Saving this for when my Mitas EF07 (a bit too much for me) adn C19 run their course.

Herd immunity ....

Sorry ... wrong thread ....

Back
Top Bottom