New Scrambler XC owner has slow cooking right thigh

AndyT

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ive just bought a 1200XC Scrambler as decided to stay in Thailand longer based on the mess the UK is in right now and the first thing ive noticed is the heat from the Catalytic Convetor is very intrusive and the ambient temp which is around 27-30c will be around 38-40C in a few months so looking at options. Ive seen the TEC pipe which they suggest to keep the Cat but fit their tail piece and Ive seen other companies offering a Y-Pice to decat the bike.

Anyone tried these and can recomend one or the other. Also what are the options of luggage (rear box or soft bag as dont want pannier frames on this).

Loving the bike so far. it reminds me so much of My R1200 GS HP2e

Attachments

• 125962536_1715224031986901_127268005769639745_n.jpg
    125962536_1715224031986901_127268005769639745_n.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 578
Thanks for that. I saw their video for their 2 into 1 pipe but it would be to expensive to have it sent here as customs will slap on an outragious fee so this is a good compromise:okay

Ive just bought a 1200XC Scrambler as decided to stay in Thailand longer based on the mess the UK is in right now and the first thing ive noticed is the heat from the Catalytic Convetor is very intrusive and the ambient temp which is around 27-30c will be around 38-40C in a few months so looking at options. Ive seen the TEC pipe which they suggest to keep the Cat but fit their tail piece and Ive seen other companies offering a Y-Pice to decat the bike.

Anyone tried these and can recomend one or the other. Also what are the options of luggage (rear box or soft bag as dont want pannier frames on this).

Loving the bike so far. it reminds me so much of My R1200 GS HP2e

I bought a new one when they came out, I cut the out the middle section of the system, where the cat resides, removed it, and welded it back up again, you couldn’t tell with a casual glance, and it’s hidden behind the side panel anyway. Result was a a much cooler running system, with no difference to sound or performance. If you’re not an angle grinder/welder type of guy any little fabrication shop would be able to do it, probably between one and two hours work if you take the exhaust off.

exhaust

Hi

Apparently there is a company in Thailand called Mototrio who do a decat, have a look on Adv Rider, there is a section specific to the exhausts.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/scrambler-1200-exhaust.1447571/page-4

It is quite funny because all summer I have thought the heat is a bit unbearable at times in my jeans (not Gore-tex pants) but went out for a ride last Sunday in Yorkshire and I was really happy with the extra heat on my calf. ;) I don't suppose you will need to worry about the cold.

Great looking colour and photo

I fitted the Zard Decat which solved the cooking leg problem perfectly. Now it’s a bit chilly I’m missing the heat !

I'm going to wrap part of my exhaust on my 1200XE with a heat proof bandage and have put some thoughts here on the Triumph Forum (post 5 and 6)

https://www.triumphtalk.com/threads/hot-pipes.53454/

It's a cheap fix if it works but won't have any definitive results till next spring/summer

Hope this helps

Mike

DO NOT PUT EXHAUST WRAP ON YOUR BIKE ,

it smokes like fuck til it has cured ,

and this is the killer ....

it will ruin the finish of you pipes when you take it off,

you might think your pipe is stainless .... it isn't.

Having just read this I've done a bit of research

I didn't realise what damage the wrap could do..........thanks for the warning...........I'll put this down as one of my poorer ideas

Mike

Well I bought a decat for the 1200 and its cooler but still hot and ive a fresh burn blister on my leg to go with the others...... still looking at options to cool it down a bit more. Loving the sound with standard tail pipes and the decat.....

There is a low system available,possibly by Zard?
Iv seen a photo but can't remember where sorry.

I'll check it out as that will give options for side bags on too if required.

One quick question none exhaust related is I've just had a centre stand fitted on my Xc and I for the life of me can't get it on the stand and it required 2 of us pulling on it whilst I was struggling with the stand. My GSA SE 1150 was a doddle compared to this. I'm tempted to think they may have put an XE stand on by mistake as that has longer travel suspension. Anyone got an XC with centre stand and how easy is it to put it on the stand??

I'll check it out as that will give options for side bags on too if required.

One quick question none exhaust related is I've just had a centre stand fitted on my Xc and I for the life of me can't get it on the stand and it required 2 of us pulling on it whilst I was struggling with the stand. My GSA SE 1150 was a doddle compared to this. I'm tempted to think they may have put an XE stand on by mistake as that has longer travel suspension. Anyone got an XC with centre stand and how easy is it to put it on the stand??

Triumph don't offer a main stand for the XE

I took the main stand off my XC and sold it to a Mexican :thumb2

Andy, did you ever sort the heat out and the centre stand?

Yes, I got used to the centre stand. It's still not the easiest but doable. The heat is still an issue here in Thailand where ambient temps are 30-35c and round town its a furnace but okay on the open road.

Back
Top Bottom