New Tracer 9 and 9 GT for 2021

Interesting to see how you feel after you have had the bike a while especially 2-up. To my mind the panniers seem too small for touring just like the NT1100, what do you think?

Enjoy your new bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s obviously personal taste but I think the new bike looks more integrated :

Old

04437b50cee13e24af909faf49b628d2.jpg

New

6d4d2941f98bc372e3eb20a1db00e867.jpg

ce41f9fcda6dc590c4b8f83452eeba41.jpg

I’ve come to (my) conclusion that the new bike is fugly and much prefer the previous incarnation. I just know I’d walk out of my garage and not look back before I closed the door.

I really, really wanted a Tracer 9/9 GT, but then I discovered it had a stupid wheel thingy on the R/H bar controls. I lost my right thumb 17 years ago, (pictures are still on this Forum somewhere), and although I had reconstructive surgery, my “new” right thumb is immobile and merely acts as a post, so I can grip and I can brake. I currently ride a 2017 Super Tenere and that has a nice simple control layout, why oh why did Yamaha mess it up?

By the way, I’m with Davy F and think the previous Tracer 900/900 GT was a better looking bike.

I don't disagree, not the best looking bike, but it seemed to tick all the other boxes.

The panniers seem OK, they are an odd shape so might be a sod to pack, time will tell on that one.

My came with quite a few additional bits, all from the previous owner.

Controls are a bit fiddly but I am getting my head round them, but yes if you have issues with your right thumb it will be difficult if you want to adjust things on the fly.

That said all mode adjustment is done with the left hand.

Heated comfort seat (not tested as yet)
Touring screen
Gille leavers (not sure about these, I need to pop to dealer and collect the standard ones).
Fender extenders front and back
Inner bags for the panniers and top box
R n G crash bungs

So the last owner spent a bit of cash on it.

I might pick up bar risers and the larger top box, little else left to get!

I had a Tracer 900 and it didn’t stir the blood looking at it in the garage, but it certainly did whenever I rode it!

I also have recently purchased a Tracer 9GT. Done about 500 miles on it so far, both solo and two up. I also had a decent demo ride before purchase on a brand new one. The wife states that it’s the most comfortable that she’s been on a bike. Mine has the large top box.
The suspension, one or two up, is a little firm, but still compliant and it handles very well. Though other than the two preset settings, A1 and A2, only has preload available.
The screen, as per most reviews, even for my meagre 5’09” height is poor. Lots of wind noise hitting the top of my Shoei NXR lid, in either the low or high position. I’ve bought a Puig flip up replacement but not yet fitted it.
Quickshifter, like soo many others I’ve tried, is inconsistent in its smoothness. Same as my previous GS LCs / MT10. Some times it’s like a knife through butter, then the next time, at close enough the same revs and gear, it either bulks, or clunks and feels a little agricultural. To my mind, if I have to think too much about where I am in the Rev range / what gear I’m in etc, to try and make it smooth, then it’s not worth the bother, I might as well use the clutch. Thankfully, that is very slick in its operation, giving nice quiet smooth changes. The biting point is a long way out though, both on mine and the low mileage demo that I rode. Odd this though, as all of the reviews I watched or read said that it was excellent. It could possibly be me and get better with practice.
Brakes are excellent and progressive. So far, I seem to be getting mid 50’s mpg with some spirited riding.
I might end up investing in the comfort seat at some point. Done a few two hour rides and I do find the standard seat a little on the firm side.
With regard to the little wheel for adjusting settings, I have to say that even with all of my digits and good finger / thumb dexterity, it’s a pita to use. You scroll the wheel to get to the part that you want to select and change and then press the wheel in to enter. Most of the time, when I try to do this whilst riding, I end up inadvertently scrolling on to the next item. Easier to do it when stationary. Most of the time, the thing I’m most likely going to want to change will be the trip counter after filling up. Easier to do it stationary. The other time that it will be a pita is when you want to turn on or adjust the heated grip settings. That will frustrate you, trying to change it on the move.
Generally, having ridden the old GT version, imho, this is a big improvement. Particularly in the areas of suspension / handling / throttle response / power / luggage and total weight capacity. I’d have to agree though that the aesthetics leave a little to be desired.
Last thing………….. on the left clock pod, where all of the important / more useful info is, the font on some of the digits are small and difficult to read if you have less than perfect eyesight. It would also be nice if Yamaha brought out a software update at some point, so that you could have a little more choice of what you could have displayed on the right clock pod. Currently, some of the available options are duplicates of the info already displayed on the left pod. For example, it would be nice for those of us without perfect eyesight, to have the larger font on the right side, to be able to see what setting the heated grips are on.
I went for the Tracer because I didn’t fancy waiting months for any of the other bikes I was interested in. Suzuki GSXSGT / NT11 / MT09SP. It was also, second hand with low mileage, considerably cheaper. I also wanted to try something different to my long run of GS12’s.
Time will tell but thus far, I’m quite happy with it. Significantly lighter and easier to man handle than my GS, handles just as well and has plenty enough get up and go at 117bhp odd and 220k wet.

Same here, 600 mile service done today. Agree with most of your points. Regarding the screen, I’ve gone shorter after reading a few owner reviews. The Ermax sport is a real improvement over OEM and eliminates the buffeting - particularly with a cheap ‘eBay’ spoiler added (genuine MRA spoiler is too wide) I’ve added the comfort seat which is a slight improvement (and very expensive). Traded my FJR for the lighter weight but retaining two-up capability and I’m very happy.

Same here, 600 mile service done today. Agree with most of your points. Regarding the screen, I’ve gone shorter after reading a few owner reviews. The Ermax sport is a real improvement over OEM and eliminates the buffeting - particularly with a cheap ‘eBay’ spoiler added (genuine MRA spoiler is too wide) I’ve added the comfort seat which is a slight improvement (and very expensive). Traded my FJR for the lighter weight but retaining two-up capability and I’m very happy.

Hi Mort,
That’s interesting to know. I have considered trying it with the screen off, but if you’ve had good results with your Ermax, that sounds like it might be the way to go. Shame I’ve already bought the Puig flip up. :blast If you’ve got a link to your cheap eBay flip up, that would be useful please?
Would you say that the riders “comfort” seat is £167 more comfortable? I.e would you buy it again after having tried it for a few miles? :beerjug:

Here’s a link to the spoiler - it’s a direct copy of the MRA fixing system but at a fraction of the cost. I’ve got a genuine MRA and this is just as effective.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234519072745?hash=item369a6d0fe9:g:XiEAAOSw2ONiYRwB

Someone has listed a used Ermax sport today as well if you search.

I would buy the comfort seat again, mainly because it will be easy to re sell when I change bike in the future - just stick the oem back on and sell the seat for £120 on EBay…. ;)

Are you on Facebook? There is a good owners group for the new model, that’s where I got the tip about the Ermax from. I’ve posted a couple of pics on there of my screen setup.

A friend trundled up yesterday on his new GT. Before reading here I thought the seat was hard and could I do the same hours in the saddle on this as I did on the GSA?

I doubt it.

Or have I been spoilt. :D

Thanks for the additional info Mort. I’ll take a look on the bay.
No I’m not on Facebook.

There’s a mod to the seat mounting that raises the front and gives a more upright riding position. Some people find it a big help, it was an ok mod for me but didn’t solve the basic problem of a hard seat. If I still had my Tracer I’d have had the seat re-upholstered (Sussex Motorcycles get good reviews). It’s cheaper than a new seat- much cheaper than Sargent or similar. The seat mod kits are a home brewed job 3-D printed by someone on the Tracer Facebook page and sold on EBay.

Cheers Greenman14. I don’t notice the forward slope particularly, more the firmness of the seat. I’ll give it a while and see how I get on. ��

Picked one up yesterday, only rode home in rain 😭 so far and yes seat is firm and will put in the higher position today which takes out the forward slope. Screen wasn't too bad but all reviews say it's shite, will try my spoiler first then maybe a MRA. Planning a long run tomorrow to get the running in underway. Had the original and liked it so fingers crossed.

If you’re after a tall screen I found the Ermax Touring worked well, and even better with a cheap Chinese deflector fitted. Fugly though! Not being much of a winter rider I found the Ermax Sport (lower than standard) worked well: quiet, no buffeting and just enough wind protection. I also removed the handguards, which are IMHO a pointless and ineffective styling exercise.

Thanks for the info all, did a 300m round trip on Thursday. I can confirm the screen is really bad even with an extender attached, also found I could not move it at 70mph it would not budge ! Had a cheap seat pad on , honeycomb type, did not help as my arse was killing after a couple of hrs, some of this is because my arse is not bike fit as I did not ride much in last year or so. Just fitted a tucano Urbano padded cover so will see how that goes. The standard seat is extremely hard , odd on this type of bike and my original 900 tracer seat was fine. I'm 6ft so got it on high setting. Early days.

Givi topbox plate fitted along with a MRA screen and shock protection flap thingy. Test run tomorrow

I’ve got mine booked in for a service on the 28th Den. I’ve also ordered the comfort seats, which hopefully will be in stock for service day as well.
It’ll let you know how I find them, but Mort77uk rates his over the standard.
I have also found that when performing downshifts with the quickshifter, it is MUCH smoother if you literally roll the throttle forward, as if you’re disengaging the cruise control. Super slick then. Made a big difference for me. Up changes with it are becoming much slicker too, as long as I keep the chain nicely oiled. Getting decent economy as well, 60-65mpg. I don’t tear about too much these days.
I’ve fitted the Puig flip screen now and done a few hundred miles with it. It is better than the standard, but even in the high position, I am still getting the wind hitting the top of my lid, just above the visor and causing noise / buffeting.
If I crouch down with an exaggerated slouch, I can get in a nice pocket of quiet still air. Clearly though that’s not sustainable for any period of time unless I want a bad back.
Next up……….I’ll be fitting the Ermax sport screen that I bought off eBay after a recommendation above. Without the flip up lip initially. I’ll report back in due course.

Interesting stuff skid , MRA has sorted it for me, unfortunately the 3d printed nav mount I ordered off eblag does not fit with an MRA but few adaptions later it does. Also fitted the shock guard, basically pyramid rubber flap, another disappointing bit of kit as the design doesn't take into account the OEM hugger has a raised area on one side. My patience with badly designed and badly fitting kit is exhausted.

Morning Den. Oh dear, I’ve also got one of those “Printed Parts” Nav mounts still to fit. I got as far as offering it up but lost interest when I started to think about what I’d have to remove to run the power under the tank to the battery. I’ll wait and see which screen I finally settle with before fitting it.
Be good to know in due course where you end up taking your power feed from for the sat nav?
I’ve a Nav 5 / Garmin 660 mount to fit when I get around to it. It’s currently in a locking Touratech (I think) cradle. I can’t see that fitting behind the screen either though, so may need to use just the mount. Did look at maybe using the switched live that is hidden away under the screen mounting / raising mechanism, but I’d probably need to cut back my Nav wiring to do so. I’m reluctant to do that though, as it might compromise future switching of the mount between bikes. So I’ll probably just run it straight to the battery. I never leave the Nav on the bike anyway for security.
Ive tried to plug in a few things into the accessory power socket on the left side of the clocks, via a couple of different adaptors. Thus far without success / power. So I’ll need to get that checked out at service time as well.
All nit packs really, still fabulous value up against an equivalent 2016 12GS TE from a dealer with, more than likely, no luggage at the same price point. And some 20kg lighter :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom