New Tracer 9 and 9 GT for 2021

Morning Den. Oh dear, I’ve also got one of those “Printed Parts” Nav mounts still to fit. I got as far as offering it up but lost interest when I started to think about what I’d have to remove to run the power under the tank to the battery. I’ll wait and see which screen I finally settle with before fitting it.
Be good to know in due course where you end up taking your power feed from for the sat nav?
I’ve a Nav 5 / Garmin 660 mount to fit when I get around to it. It’s currently in a locking Touratech (I think) cradle. I can’t see that fitting behind the screen either though, so may need to use just the mount. Did look at maybe using the switched live that is hidden away under the screen mounting / raising mechanism, but I’d probably need to cut back my Nav wiring to do so. I’m reluctant to do that though, as it might compromise future switching of the mount between bikes. So I’ll probably just run it straight to the battery. I never leave the Nav on the bike anyway for security.
Ive tried to plug in a few things into the accessory power socket on the left side of the clocks, via a couple of different adaptors. Thus far without success / power. So I’ll need to get that checked out at service time as well.
All nit packs really, still fabulous value up against an equivalent 2016 12GS TE from a dealer with, more than likely, no luggage at the same price point. And some 20kg lighter :thumb2

There is a spare live plug behind the side panel.R/H side looking from the front.You'll need the proper 2 pin plug available on Ebay.

Okay so a bit of an ownership update. Having just done a 2200 mile trip up and around Scotland in about
nine days, I’m now in a better position to comment……….

Screen - Puig with flip up lip is still not great. Clearly better than the original but far from perfect. I wasn’t
brave enough to use the Ermax Sport screen on such a long trip, not knowing what the weather
was going to throw at me. Now I’m back though, I’ll be swapping them out.
I always have to have the screen in the highest position to minimise the turbulence / noise. I’m
only 5’09”. Beginning to think it might actually be better with no screen at all?

Speedo - Wildly optimistic. I reckon it over reads by up to about 7mph at 60mph real. I’ve thought this
for a while. When I’ve had my sat nav with me, that has always read significantly less. But it
was reinforced in Scotland when I was fortunate enough to have to follow a traffic car for a few
miles in a 60mph limit. I was also able to compare it to my mates 2021 model Kawasaki, which
also seemed to confirm the above figures.
It maybe a small issue, but I can’t quite bring myself to pass a speed camera with 67mph
showing on the speedo in a 60 limit.

Seat - I have now fitted the “Comfort” seats and whilst I’d say that they are an improvement over the
standard, I’m not sure it’s a £167 improvement. But I guess, as stated earlier in this thread, if
you sell them on again for £100 seperately, I’d definately say that they were worth the
additional £67 cost.
For that reason, I made sure I bought some padded cycling shorts before the recent trip and
they made a big difference.

Economy - Difficult to say really when your speedo AND trip meter overread by such a large amount. I
“thought” I was getting between 60 -64mpg, taking it steady. But I guess now, with an easy
10% inaccuracy, I’m looking at 54 -57.5mpg. Still not bad to be fair.

Issues - I couldn’t get the accessory plug to work so asked them to check it at the service. They
replaced a fuse and said that it was fine. However when I tried to use it, still no joy. So I
checked all of the other fuses and found an additional fuse was blown. Replaced this and hey
presto, it worked. Sort of….

Knowing that I had an accessory socket to power my Nav5 by, I didn’t bother wiring up a
powered mount. Alas, when I turned the Nav5 on, plugged into the accessory socket to charge
it, the Nav went into some sort of automatic power save mode. It would only allow a maximum
of 30% brightness on the screen, which, frankly, was unreadable. This “may” be an issue with
the Nav itself, ive still to investigate further, so I’ll reserve judgement at this stage.

Warm starting - it seems to quite regularly stall, moments after starting the engine when it’s hot (after
filling up for example). . It only ever happens once and restarts immediately, so I’ve not
bothered taking it back as yet. I believe that there was a recall for a similar issue with the new
MT09 model so I’m surprised that I haven’t had any info from Yamaha as yet.

Luggage - whilst the panniers are an odd shape, I bought a cheap pair of pannier liners for my trip and
found them to be great. The panniers do wobble about a bit but remain completely secure, are
easy to open and close and remove. The Yamaha top box, when full, can be a little more
awkward in operation to close, but it has, thus far, remained waterproof.

Overall - This is a tough one. If I compared myself to a stick of rock, I’d have GS running through the middle of me. I’ve had soo many of them over the years 11** / 1200’s (no 1250 though).

IMHO the 9GT does pretty much all of the things that “I” would do on a 12GS. I would also say that it does them at least as well and in some cases better.
Clearly what it won’t do is go off road or allow you to drop it without sustaining any damage,like a GS with crash bars would.

I love the handling and slow speed balance of the 9GT particularly. The lower height and 30kg less weight, make a big difference to me confidence wise when slow manoeuvring, with or without a pillion.

I began to find with age, that the 12GS TE was becoming quite top heavy two up. Once the ESA had adjusted for the pillion, it left me on the balls of my feet, robbing me of confidence at off camber junctions / u turns etc. The 9GT gives me back this confidence.

However, as good as the GT is, I still can’t quite bond with it in quite the same way that I have over the years with the GS’s. It can’t be an aesthetics thing either because, well, frankly, neither a GS or the 9GT are a thing of beauty are they?

I can see myself with another 12GS in the not too distant future. 🙄 For now though, I’m saving up for a new pair of tyres.

Okay so a bit of an ownership update

[big snip]

I can see myself with another 12GS in the not too distant future. �� For now though, I’m saving up for a new pair of tyres.

Try an R12x0RS. I have had a Tracer and various adventure bikes. Like you, I found the adventure bikes top heavy and the 2015 Tracer was lacking in many areas as it was built to a low price point. The RS has a low centre of gravity and more suited to the short of stature.

Hi Wessie, I have tried a couple out for size in the showroom, though I’ve never ridden one. I’m not sure that the riding position (bars / seat / pegs) would work for me. I do really like the 1200 / 1250R Sport model though, which is a bit more of an upright take on the same theme. Maybe I need to try both and find out?
The 9GT is a much improved version of the earlier Tracer 900GT imho, with the electronic suspension and other updates. Trouble is, compare the Tracer 9GT on a value for money basis with pretty much anything similar from the BMW stable. It’s hard to argue against it on that level.

Updated for 2023 with new TFT and radar guided cruise

5c2402ac6b55c22a13ba099799ebded9.jpg

Hi Wessie, I have tried a couple out for size in the showroom, though I’ve never ridden one. I’m not sure that the riding position (bars / seat / pegs) would work for me. I do really like the 1200 / 1250R Sport model though, which is a bit more of an upright take on the same theme. Maybe I need to try both and find out?
The 9GT is a much improved version of the earlier Tracer 900GT imho, with the electronic suspension and other updates. Trouble is, compare the Tracer 9GT on a value for money basis with pretty much anything similar from the BMW stable. It’s hard to argue against it on that level.

I tried the 1200RS when I was looking to change from my GS, I found the bars a bit too low and narrow and the bike I rode had a low seat and it felt a bit cramped knee bend wise, I tried the tried the 1250R and felt much more comfortable with the wider flatter bars but the legs bend was still a bit tight for me as I have had surgery on both Knees, I couldn’t justify £10-12k for the 1250 so ended up with a low mileage 1200, I have lowered the pegs 25mm and fitted a high seat and found it to be just about right for me and glad I made the change from the GS.

Al.

Back
Top Bottom