Ireland to the Sahara

Al-1150

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've booked a ferry from Ireland to Bilbao Spain end of Sept 2021, I've 3 weeks solo on a 1150GSA

Rough plan.
Gara Medouar.
Tizi n' Test.
Plage Blanche.
Dakhla.
And further down to St Louis Senegal if possible.

Is this feasible in 3 weeks, or more importantly there and back.
To be honest I assume not but would like someone who's been out there to tell me that.

I arrive early in Spain so plan on riding through the day.

Is there one ferry crossing that "better" than the others for any reason? Assume tickets can be purchased when you arrive and don't need to be prebooked.

Has anyone passed through Mauritania recently? Be interested to hear how it went, what are the road conditions like, how long to cross.
Any safety concerns experienced?

Its 10 months away so I know things can change but looking forward to planning the trip.

Many thanks
Al.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Hiya,

I put a RR on that section a couple of years ago.

Some of it may be of use re ferries etc:okay
RR? Recommended Route? Great thanks, where can I find that. Sorry, new to the forum.
Al.

Sorry mate.

Bad manners on my part.

If you want to message me personally give me a shout.

I’ll help you where I can.

For paperwork the Tim Cullis advice on here is absolutely brilliant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry mate.

Bad manners on my part.

If you want to message me personally give me a shout.

I’ll help you where I can.

For paperwork the Tim Cullis advice on here is absolutely brilliant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No problem at all.
Great, I will search for Chris and certainly will send you a message.
Many thanks
Al.

Search for Tim, not Chris...

Where in Ireland are you ? My mate here in Dublin did Dublin to Jo burg a few years ago. He’s happy to share info if you want.

Where in Ireland are you ? My mate here in Dublin did Dublin to Jo burg a few years ago. He’s happy to share info if you want.
Hi Luke I'm in Cork City.
That's some trip he did, would be great to touch base with him.
Thanks.

Just being nosey,
but why just in side the border for St Louis.. Senegal..

Just being nosey,
but why just in side the border for St Louis.. Senegal..
I have to stop somewhere. Originally I wanted to go to Dakar, but heard it's just another big dirty city and just think the extra few days travel would be too tight timewise, but St Louis I've heard good things about.
Nothing is set in stone or anything close. The only definite is the Ireland to Bilbao ferry dates as they are booked and paid for. I think now even St Louis is too ambitious for a 3 week trip.

All that aside, since a 30 year ceasefire with Polisario and Morroco has come to an end, I'm going to have to wait and see how that pans out in Western Sahara. As far as I can understand at the moment there is blockades stopping traffic in and out of Mauritania.

https://youtu.be/tGL74Gb4YFM

Dakar is a dump with little to recommend it other than an airport. The Mauritanian border is difficult at the best of times so probably best avoided with current tensions running high; you also need a visa before you get there and that’s more difficult than it sounds.

Back
Top Bottom