New rules, retrictions, etc. in Spain for 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon_100

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
One novelty that really does affect us bikers affects the little known rule that you can exceed the speed limit by 20 kph in order to overtake another vehicle, which is really handy of course but does beg the question as to why have speed limits ...

The Spanish transport ministry, DGT, has obviously come to the same conclusion so it's banned from the New Year :(

Most of the other changes are adding extra fines and points penalties for existing offenses, but another novelty is that local authorities can impose a 30 kph speed limit within their boundaries and it's a fair guess that a lot of the rural towns and villages that we all love to ride through will adopt these measures.

Another odd one that keeps cropping up, especially as with more people taking to cycling under Covid restrictions the more accidents are happening - you can overtake slow vehicles, tractors, diggers, etc. even horses and carts! - in a white line zone as long as it's going under 25 kph and it is safe to proceed. Many of us also use this rule to overtake cyclists - not forgetting to allow the minimum 1.5 meter safety distance as you pass - but bicycles do not appear of the 'definite' list of vehicles that you can overtake under this ruling and even the Guarda Civil admits that there's an anomaly here. So be discrete - NB a lot of cyclists keep videos of infractions but these are not admissible evidence as far as I know! -and remember that a 'pelotón' is considered as one vehicle, i.e. no filtering of cutting in, and if this is longer than a truck you can't go ...

My Spanish friends may have more details of the last paragraph, which may have also changed under this tranche of new rule - if so please post an update amigos!

Enjoy!

So be discrete - NB a lot of cyclists keep videos of infractions but these are not admissible evidence as far as I know! -and remember that a 'pelotón' is considered as one vehicle, i.e. no filtering of cutting in, and if this is longer than a truck you can't go ...

I wasn't aware of this, is there a definitive length for the truck that you can't overtake?

I wasn't aware of this, is there a definitive length for the truck that you can't overtake?

If there is, it’ll be expressed in metres and centimetres. This will render it useless to the average Brit, who “Does not do things in foreign, mate”.

fifteen years ago, bike trips in Spain were seen as an opportunity to go as fast as you like, wherever you want. Perhaps that was one of the reasons they seem to monitor and enforce much more now. In 2005 (I think) we noticed that almost every corner on main roads in Catalunya had a sign showing the speed for that corner. Once satisfied that they were reliable, they became a handy guide as to how fast you could safely do the corner, taking the marked limit in kph and taking the corner in mph. I'm not sure if those signs were advisory or compulsory limits, to be honest.

A couple of years later, a friend picked up three tickets - two in villages, one on the open road. In 2018 I picked up a ticket from a camera on the motorway, on a stretch where the limit changed over and over again from 130 to 110 to 90 and back again.

My days of wanting to ride everywhere like my hair's on fire are long gone so I'm happy to stick to marked limits these days, particularly through towns and villages. I think that's probably the best given the continued move towards harsher fines and more enforcement.

fifteen years ago, bike trips in Spain were seen as an opportunity to go as fast as you like, wherever you want. Perhaps that was one of the reasons they seem to monitor and enforce much more now. In 2005 (I think) we noticed that almost every corner on main roads in Catalunya had a sign showing the speed for that corner. Once satisfied that they were reliable, they became a handy guide as to how fast you could safely do the corner, taking the marked limit in kph and taking the corner in mph. I'm not sure if those signs were advisory or compulsory limits, to be honest.

My days of wanting to ride everywhere like my hair's on fire are long gone so I'm happy to stick to marked limits these days, particularly through towns and villages. I think that's probably the best given the continued move towards harsher fines and more enforcement.

I remember having the same thoughts about the corner speeds on the N120 heading west out of Leon, around 2000. Not enough cameras or police to make too much difference on what you did.

Like you I've calmed down, helps not having a Firestorm on which the straight open roads of Spain were wonderful, and into jail territory for some of the speeds I allegedly did. Having naked and / or 650 /700 adventure style bikes means the 0mph to ban takes much more effort and length of road. The 30kph / 20mph limits do stretch my patience at times

I went to a very amusing talk by the bods from Rapid Training, who ventured an opinion that the non-statutory signs that UK councils litter bends with, should be read as ‘minimum speeds’ to be obtained.

As the presenter explained, this was not necessarily the view of Thames Vale police per-se nor necessarily his own.....

One novelty that really does affect us bikers affects the little known rule that you can exceed the speed limit by 20 kph in order to overtake another vehicle, which is really handy of course but does beg the question as to why have speed limits ...

The Spanish transport ministry, DGT, has obviously come to the same conclusion so it's banned from the New Year :(

Most of the other changes are adding extra fines and points penalties for existing offenses, but another novelty is that local authorities can impose a 30 kph speed limit within their boundaries and it's a fair guess that a lot of the rural towns and villages that we all love to ride through will adopt these measures.

Another odd one that keeps cropping up, especially as with more people taking to cycling under Covid restrictions the more accidents are happening - you can overtake slow vehicles, tractors, diggers, etc. even horses and carts! - in a white line zone as long as it's going under 25 kph and it is safe to proceed. Many of us also use this rule to overtake cyclists - not forgetting to allow the minimum 1.5 meter safety distance as you pass - but bicycles do not appear of the 'definite' list of vehicles that you can overtake under this ruling and even the Guarda Civil admits that there's an anomaly here. So be discrete - NB a lot of cyclists keep videos of infractions but these are not admissible evidence as far as I know! -and remember that a 'pelotón' is considered as one vehicle, i.e. no filtering of cutting in, and if this is longer than a truck you can't go ...

My Spanish friends may have more details of the last paragraph, which may have also changed under this tranche of new rule - if so please post an update amigos!

Enjoy!

Enjoy;:D:D:D

A couple of years later, a friend picked up three tickets - two in villages, one on the open road. In 2018 I picked up a ticket from a camera on the motorway, on a stretch where the limit changed over and over again from 130 to 110 to 90 and back again.

Ha ha, the blue rectangular signs are indeed advisory - just like everywhere else in Europe? - and indeed I use them as a sort of 'minimum' speed guide ... :)

Like you I've calmed down, helps not having a Firestorm on which the straight open roads of Spain were wonderful, and into jail territory for some of the speeds I allegedly did. Having naked and / or 650 /700 adventure style bikes means the 0mph to ban takes much more effort and length of road. The 30kph / 20mph limits do stretch my patience at times

Me too, reminds me of passing my test back in '76, doing the emergency sop when the examiner stepped out onto the road and ten ridng up to him fast and doing it again in case he didn't see from such a long way away -I passed of course! :)

I did indeed, just back from a little 'jolly dow to the coast and back to celebrate some slackening of the restrictions, namely having a few beers and tapas in my favourite bar ...

If there is, it’ll be expressed in metres and centimetres. This will render it useless to the average Brit, who “Does not do things in foreign, mate”.

Someone said " being British is about driving in a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer . Grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on way home to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Chinese tv . Oh and skiing in France or buying a Spanish holiday home.

Personally do not believe a word of it.

Just a little clarification

Enjoy!

The 20 kph rule applies only in a 90 kph zone and NOT on a Autopistas 120 kph speed limit.
Bicycles can be overtaken keeping 1.5 meters safety distance and you can cross a solid white line to do so.

Ride safely

Bicycles can be overtaken keeping 1.5 meters safety distance and you can cross a solid white line to do so.

Ride safely

I'm sure you are absolutely correct...... but..... a few years ago my wife and I rode across Spain on restricted Tomos mopeds. We tried to keep off main roads as much as possible but when we had to we'd ride in the narrow 'lane' at the side of the road. One thing that surprised me and left me very impressed was not once did a car overtake us on solid centre lines, even though it was safe to do so and they would not have had to cross it :) When we were overtaken on broken centre lines they would wait until the road was completely clear and then cross completely into the opposite lane.

Compare that to riding the little bikes over here and your literally taking your life in your hands.

Andres

Not 100% sure but in some EU countries the fine stays with the vehicle regardless of any proof that the current keeper was the keeper at the time of the incident
Which was one of the reasons the UK didn't join the exchange system.

Ride safely

Well done Clive, you made me check the rules - for the first time in a few years! - and it's the other way around, cycles, moped, etc. are on the definitive list while tractors, diggers, etc. are not I hereby stand corrected as asked :)

But I'm still right about the best tapas bar in Sort, Bar Coyote by a furlong :)

See you one of these days _)

Not adding much I know but I like the coyote bar too and Simons right again
Also a Furlong is 201 metres (ish)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom