Wanting a 1150 but worried about ABS issues - enlighten me please

Nigel Thomas

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi again.

So I am narrowing my search to an 1150 but I keep seeing bikes being advertised with ABS disconnect/bypassed

I'd not ride a bike without ABS so I am wondering if someone could enlighten me regarding what models to avoid/what is the issue/cost of putting it right

Thanks

There’s always an early 1150gs with the non servo abs Easily identified with the solid abs ring on the front wheel A lot less troublesome .

Hi again.

So I am narrowing my search to an 1150 but I keep seeing bikes being advertised with ABS disconnect/bypassed

I'd not ride a bike without ABS so I am wondering if someone could enlighten me regarding what models to avoid/what is the issue/cost of putting it right

Thanks

I have one 1150 Adv with ABS & one 1150 Adv without ABS

Doesn’t bother me one jot

In reality I prefer the bike without ABS

I wouldn’t worry at all about a bike without ABS ....ride properly and you’ll never need it :thumb

I wouldn’t worry at all about a bike without ABS ....ride properly and you’ll never need it :thumb
Never heard such rubbish in all my life. Abs has saved many from a crash. Riding property won’t save you from a diesel spill. Abs is now mandatory on all bikes over 125 cc. 125s are exempt if the front and rear are linked. The one time abs activated on one of my bikes made it worthwhile. I’ve had abs on all my bikes in the last roughly 17 years. Or maybe I don’t ride probably. JJH

To quote Kenny Everett “ Don’t put fireworks in your pockets kids it will make your legs all crunchy “
Abs has saved the whole of me from going crunchy on several occasions in 45+ years of motorcycle road riding. Once was enough of a save to make me a convert .Im only human not a riding god like some on here .

Never heard such rubbish in all my life. Abs has saved many from a crash. Riding property won’t save you from a diesel spill. Abs is now mandatory on all bikes over 125 cc. 125s are exempt if the front and rear are linked. The one time abs activated on one of my bikes made it worthwhile. I’ve had abs on all my bikes in the last roughly 17 years. Or maybe I don’t ride probably. JJH

ABS is more use in a car with 4 wheels, than a bike with 2 wheels

I don’t care for it, it actually increases the time/distance to come to a halt on a bike (that has been proven in a lot of tests)

First thing I do on my T700 is turn off & deactivate the ABS on the dash, when going out on the road on it

Horses for courses but I don’t want it

BMW’s Servo ABS on 2003 onwards 1150 GS & early 1200’s is the worst abs system of all

I don’t care for it, it actually increases the time/distance to come to a halt on a bike (that has been proven in a lot of tests)

First thing I do on my T700 is turn off & deactivate the ABS on the dash, when going out on the road on it

Hate to say this, but: Your dickie is in the ashes.

BMW’s Servo ABS on 2003 onwards 1150 GS & early 1200’s is the worst abs system of all
We are not all riding gods. Yes I agree with you about longer braking distance with abs. That’s under controlled test conditions. When riding along and something unexpected and definitely not under any control rears it’s deadly head in your path and a handful of brake in front and 15 stone on the back without mentioning what’s happening the splinter muscle (no control there either) ABS will be your friend. The servo abs system is a total ball of shite and in that I would agree that your better off without. Even when working properly you can still end up with residual braking. I forget now the sequence you do to unknownley deactivate the servo but it happened to me once. Is it turn with front brake on? JJH

The only tests where ABS would fare worse than without would be on a high friction empty runway in good weather with an expert rider at the helm.

The real-life tests - predominantly carried out by the Germans magazines trying to prove that BMW ABS is the best in the world - where the braking test strip includes a long painted pedestrian crossing (or maybe a patch of loose gravel) and tackled in wet conditions prove conclusively that ABS will stop shorter than without.

I am sure that you will not be convinced otherwise, because your mind is made up.

However someone might listen to me.......?

No, I'm not going to try it myself. I'm getting old and don't bounce so well any more.

only time abs activated on a bike I was riding, it detected a difference between the front wheel and rear and took the brakes off as I was attempting to stop at a junction and I sailed right through it, ok was lucky as I was on blue lights and two tones at the time but never rode that bike again

modern systems of ABS are all pretty good, the older ones have issues, so if buying an older bike then possibly without ABS is just as good

We are not all riding gods. Yes I agree with you about longer braking distance with abs. That’s under controlled test conditions. When riding along and something unexpected and definitely not under any control rears it’s deadly head in your path and a handful of brake in front and 15 stone on the back without mentioning what’s happening the splinter muscle (no control there either) ABS will be your friend. The servo abs system is a total ball of shite and in that I would agree that your better off without. Even when working properly you can still end up with residual braking. I forget now the sequence you do to unknownley deactivate the servo but it happened to me once. Is it turn with front brake on? JJH

Feck me, on a dry road you can put a 1150 GS Adv on its nose, with the rear wheel 3' in the air - the brakes are that good on my non ABS one
Paul BHT has a pic of Ming doing just that

Anyway, most riders know that brakes are largely redundant on an oil head Boxer GS, just use the gearbox and it's like chucking a boat anchor out, when you go from 4th to 3rd or 3rd to 2nd

Feck me, on a dry road you can put a 1150 GS Adv on its nose, with the rear wheel 3' in the air - the brakes are that good on my non ABS one
Paul BHT has a pic of Ming doing just that

Anyway, most riders know that brakes are largely redundant on an oil head Boxer GS, just use the gearbox and it's like chucking a boat anchor out, when you go from 4th to 3rd or 3rd to 2nd

Yes. JJH

Back
Top Bottom