Guzzi V85TT. deals in Nov 2020

Re the warranty issue- I think that from late 2019 bikes had a 4year warranty as standard for a while then dealers cottoned onto the fact they could have a say in this and make extra money by limiting the warranty to the two years. The more honourable dealers passed the free warranty extension onto customers. Anyway, now the standard warranty is 2 years and this has been confirmed when I phoned Aprillia to ask the question.

That’s pretty bizarre is it not as the warranty is normally with the manufacturer, or more specifically the manufacturers appointed importer/distributor for that country , and not in any way at the discretion of the dealer?

True to some extent, but in the motor trade, the manufacturer gives a specific warranty period and the dealer network sometimes adds extra years. Some Volkswagen group products for example have a two year factory warranty, but for the UK there is a dealer extention of one year making the three in total that the consumer actually thinks is from the manufacturer. All the UK dealers are obliged to offer the extra warranty and have no discretion to remove it, so I guess you may as well say it is from the manufacturer.

In the case of Guzzi, I have been told that the 4 years warranty included a free upgrade of two years, which has now been withdrawn meaning the standard warranty is now two years again. It seems that different stories come from various sources, so who knows.

Rest assured, if I can get a four year warranty out of them I will do, so watch this space, will update when I get a definitve answer.

the 4 year warranty is purchased by........ YOU .......the dealer builds it into the price, plus........ you probably have to have MG dealer stamps rather than inde.

Just been on the phone to Moto Guzzi customer services and a couple of dealers, who all tell me that the standard warranty is tJust been on the phone to Moto Guzzi customer services es a couple of dealers, who all tell me that the standard warranty is two yearswo years at present, any extention being paid for by either the customer or dealer as a courtesy and at their discretion (very nice of them). Good to know some dealers do this as the two year extention is not cheap, just under £400 I think, but still a damn site less than the BMW one.

It's not bad is it?

Had a test ride today at my local Guzzi dealer and, despite the good things I've heard about the V85TT, I was prepared not to like it. I went on the GS so I could get a feel for them back to back and in truth I still like the GS a lot so I was expecting disappointment.

To my surprise after the first ten minutes when I was underwhelmed it grew on me quite quickly and after three or four hours on it I was loathe to give it back. The engine's a lovely thing, It's not as quick as the GS for obvious reasons, less power and a more lazy response for two, but it's not underpowered at all for it's engine size. As others have said you just have to use the gearbox properly. No issues overtaking, plenty of engine braking, and very decent handling on the back lanes.

It's also not as bad as expected on A roads and motorways. Plenty of power for cruising into the 90's, plus a bit to spare if you push it, and not too bad on the buffeting despite the fact the ugly touring screen on the travel edition is just at the wrong height for me.

It's a bit lighter than my beast, a bit lower, although the seat height isn't massively different from a GS seat on low setting and it's dead easy to manoeuvre. It's also pretty frugal, and the heated grips are fine in my view. Some dislike the switchgear but for me it's all in a good place and fairly simple. Also it does have some vibration but it's not bad vibration. I could certainly live with it. You can have either plastic or tin panniers, and although the metal ones probably look better, I quite like the side opening plastic ones, plus the pannier rails for them are less obtrusive.

Other than the screen, for which there are various after market options, including the Ermax screen that Steve likes, there's not that much wrong with it. The TFT is a bit annoying in that the very time you'd like to know what gear you're in it doesn't tell you unless the you let the clutch fully out, although it seems to happily pull away in any gear almost. The other thing is the big brother yellow and red lights that flash at you when you get anywhere near the top end of the rev. range. Apparently that can be adjusted and the salesman showed me how.

Overall I'm quite impressed. The stumbling block for me is that yer man only has the travel edition and the red block colour. The travel colour is about as bad as the colour on my old 800GSA which was best described as 'baby's first push' although the overall package on the travel is quite good, apart from the touring screen. The other colour he has is block red which is a bit meh. The deal I had been offered was a good one with the GS included as trade in but if I want the yellow one, which I do, he can't get one in before December, and the powers that be won't let him give the same discount after 30th November. Not the salesman's fault, he's been good, but bean counters further up the line.

I'm not in a rush so if he can't shift the blockage at his end I may wait until December and see what happens. If they've still got 2020 models to shift, which it seems they have, then there should be another offer in the pipeline, hopefully.

100% agree, just had to have one, which is why I hunted for the right deal. Waiting to see what happnes can be a good ploy, but bear in mind that several dealers told me that they have to shift the bikes in November or register them in the dealer name then they become a new but pre-registered machine. It seems there is some incentive from the importers, so unless this is sales talk I would think the deals won't be as keen into next month. There comes a time when you just have to bite the bullet so to speak.

100% agree, just had to have one, which is why I hunted for the right deal. Waiting to see what happnes can be a good ploy, but bear in mind that several dealers told me that they have to shift the bikes in November or register them in the dealer name then they become a new but pre-registered machine. It seems there is some incentive from the importers, so unless this is sales talk I would think the deals won't be as keen into next month. There comes a time when you just have to bite the bullet so to speak.

True but given the local dealer can order new bikes for December delivery in the colour I want it’s worth a punt.

Glad you enjoyed it Tony, as I said it's important to give them a good run. I turned the rev lights up to 7000 rpm as soon as I took delivery. They can be rather annoying.
I also thought the gear indicator was a bit pointless at first, but I've sort of got used to how it works and find it quite useful now.
I believe Givi now make the quick release pannier rails for the V85. I would have waited for these but they were not available early last year and I needed panniers for a trip.
Don't worry about the cost, it's only money. Not sure how far from me you are but if you get one you're welcome to come and try the EXMAX screen, after lockdown of course.

Glad you enjoyed it Tony, as I said it's important to give them a good run. I turned the rev lights up to 7000 rpm as soon as I took delivery. They can be rather annoying.
I also thought the gear indicator was a bit pointless at first, but I've sort of got used to how it works and find it quite useful now.
I believe Givi now make the quick release pannier rails for the V85. I would have waited for these but they were not available early last year and I needed panniers for a trip.
Don't worry about the cost, it's only money. Not sure how far from me you are but if you get one you're welcome to come and try the EXMAX screen, after lockdown of course.

Kind offer sir and thank you again for your advice. I’m not entirely sure how necessary my journey was yesterday but it felt good! I’ll come over one day when the situation changes and when I’ve got a bike.

Yes, Wheels in Peterborough do this on most of their new and used bikes with a few exceptions such as new Hondas for example. The main criteria is that Wheels service the bike for the warranty to be valid.

Mrs GSite says I am a bad influence as another Tosser I know has bought one following this post.
When we spoke on the phone I thought you sounded rather keen to view it at the dealer the same day.
Great price considering the top box and minimal miles.
Hope you enjoy it, let me know how you get on blinging it up and the ownership experience.
Best wishes

I saw that....it was a bargain ! Great buy with nice extras

Attachments

• 1D2B1B52-B42C-4886-8A7F-B997CBFDECF8.jpg
    1D2B1B52-B42C-4886-8A7F-B997CBFDECF8.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 587
Keep in touch guys re bling. I have engine bars and just having them powder coated same colour as frame, touring screen, Puig screen extender, ordered spotlights, ordered centre stand ....Motea do one for £94, and one or two other bits.

When I get the stand fitted I am going to convert the wheels to tubeless....watched how to do it on YouTube

Had mine 5 months and done 5k miles so far. The longer I have it the more I love it. Can’t say it is as beautiful from the front as other views but I love the Guzzi ownership.....just wish the clocks were more retro like the rest of the bike

I went over and had a look the day after we'd spoken, dealer all too conveniently located about 20 minutes away. In effect it's a pre-reg bike, albeit one that's doine 349 miles... Supplied by Arnolds, the original owner apparently decided pretty quickly it was too tall in the saddle for him. His loss. Condition is, as you'd expect, immaculate. Dealer seems to have a good reputation & looks like a decent workshop - must be doing something right as they've been there 70 odd years. Deal included first servce. Mulled it over for a couple of days, negotiated a set of Oxford heated grips and storage until I can collect (Feb/March) and put down a deposit with payment details to be finalised in the New Year. Gives me a bit of time to work out how I'm going to tell Mrs Vulpine...

First order of business appears to be a Caponord mudguard/Fenda Extenda. Also engine bars - the Moto Guzzi ones look good value and appear to add just enough scaffolding. Great tip about the centrestand from Motea - be interested to know how you get on with yours. Had a look on their website and they're offering an additional 20% off today - but, sods law, won't take any orders to the UK at the moment (Covid...). Probably just as well - I really ought to wait until I've actually got my hands on the bike!

Back
Top Bottom