Bmw offroad training

Rowle

Reaction score
Hi all.
Anyone been to the BMW offroad learning days in Wales ?
What did you think and got any tips etc ?

Booked in for the level one in May 2021 - covid permitting .......:nenau

I did one maybe 15 yrs ago. It was my first time on a motorbike off road and I loved it. Learned loads and the biggest plus for me was the low speed stuff does transfer to road riding (One of the warm up things we did was that we had to do a LH and RH circle riding within 4 cones on full lock, throttle/clutch and brake control)

IMHO it was well worth the money, kit, bike, tuition and lunch for 2 days, all I did was turn up and get bruised to buggery.

I did it last year (a birthday gift from my lovely wife!)

It was worth it, learned lots, even though I had done a little off road stuff before. I was quite surprised how capable the 1250GS is off road, but don’t think I will be taking my bike off road to the same extent. I did it in the rain, so learned how the bike behaves in less than favourable conditions off road..... if you can do it in the wet, it’s easier in the dry.

Go for it, and enjoy yourself.

Bubb

Did it last year and couldn’t recommend it highly enough. Excellent tuition, careful and extremely positive.

Thanks both,
Daft question - did you wear armour or was the falling off in mud/ slow speeds ?
I have a bit of offroad gear but might guy more suitable kit before i go.
I know you must wear proper mx boots.

Cheers.��

I didn't wear anything extra to the kit I borrowed from BMW...incl boots
If I did it now (In my 50s not late 30s) I'd be getting a bit of protection...no idea what tho :D
It was all slow speed stuff but one lad did break his ankle by riding too close to a sturdy sapling and bending his foot back (He carried on the day, stayed overnight and rode home the day after before getting it looked at)

I did level 1 in August thanks to a Christmas present from my lovely wife.
It’s a fantastic course can’t recommend it highly enough. I’m definitely going to book for next year I was a bit concerned on arrival as I thought it may be a bit “health n safety” due to COVID, they put in and reminded often about distances etc but far from it, very challenging, excellent instructors brilliant 4,000 acre training area! I hired everything other than lid & gloves, call them and book it. We stayed in a nearby by cottage which was also great. :

Thanks both,
Daft question - did you wear armour or was the falling off in mud/ slow speeds ?
I have a bit of offroad gear but might guy more suitable kit before i go.
I know you must wear proper mx boots.

Cheers.��

As an older entrant I decided to take a back protector along with strap-on knee/shins - a good choice as armour is not evident in the hire clothing and I did fall off.
Boots are also for hire.

I have done 2 courses about 10 and 15 years ago. Excellent tuition. My avtar is from my second course broke my toe so I would say make sure you have proper off road type boots. I think they provide them if you don't have a decent pair. Drink plenty of fluids as even on a mild day you will sweat a lot.

I have been a few times. Thoroughly recommended. They do insist on proper MX boots and with good reason. I would, and do, take extra armour but plenty don't but I don't bounce as well as I once did. Like they say, drink little and often (water is provided) and you WILL be tired at the end of the day. Consider staying on at the end of the second day rather than face a long ride home.

Having done level 1 in scorching heat last year and level 2 in the wettest of wet weather this year, I much preferred the wet!
I don’t know if it was down to the tyres or having more confidence, but either way they are incredible weekends.
I can only echo what everyone above has said, but one tip would be to not wear your Sunday best suit. I did, and although it was fine in the dry, where I just had to dust down my jacket, the wet weekend made a right mess of my suit. I washed it twice and still can’t get the coal marks off my jacket (gray Enduroguard). I ended up falling off in water crossings, managed to break my helmet, so again, don’t use a helmet that you cherish. Yes, it did it’s job, and you have to use a proper road approved helmet, but I shouldn’t have taken my £500 Tour X!
The instructors are absolutely brilliant, and make sure you are confident at a particular lesson before moving on to the next.
Definitely going back next year for the next level.
Cheers
Dave

I have been a few times. Thoroughly recommended. They do insist on proper MX boots and with good reason. I would, and do, take extra armour but plenty don't but I don't bounce as well as I once did. Like they say, drink little and often (water is provided) and you WILL be tired at the end of the day. Consider staying on at the end of the second day rather than face a long ride home.

thanks.
Good idea about stopping over the last night as i live a good 3 hour drive to home from the event.
Did you guys go on your bikes or in the car ?

I did this last year and it was a very useful couple of days. Fell off a couple of times on day one riding in a tight circle around cones, but other than that I stayed on the bike. I didn't take additional protection other than MX boots. Met some good guys and kept in touch with a couple of them. We had one tool in the group who thought he was the next Dakar winner, all the gear, no idea etc. Insisted on doing the opposite to what he was told for most of the time. I was due to go and do Level 2 earlier this year, but C-19 stopped that. Go and do it.

Having seen my wife ride ‘off-road’ for the first time I booked her on a Ladies Only level one a few years ago; she had a great time and apparently learnt a lot but did appreciate being chauffeured home after the course because it is physically demanding.

The photo is her riding a 1200GSA belonging to Simon Pavey (Instructor) and is remarkable for two things; firstly she is actually stood up but at 5’00” it’s hard to tell, secondly she couldn’t stop or get off without help, and everyone was eating lunch !

Attachments

• 969BC398-4110-46FE-A698-0FBFFBD9D090.jpeg
    969BC398-4110-46FE-A698-0FBFFBD9D090.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 780
Having seen my wife ride ‘off-road’ for the first time I booked her on a Ladies Only level one a few years ago; she had a great time and apparently learnt a lot but did appreciate being chauffeured home after the course because it is physically demanding.

The photo is her riding a 1200GSA belonging to Simon Pavey (Instructor) and is remarkable for two things; firstly she is actually stood up but at 5’00” it’s hard to tell, secondly she couldn’t stop or get off without help, and everyone was eating lunch !
I remember that weekend.
I was there too. The course is great fun and I learnt a lot! Well worth the money.

I did level 1 a couple of years ago. Brilliant! Top instructors and very patient, even with the bloke who fell off on the ride to the site when he lost the front on a roundabout.

Being older and heavier than most there I wore knee supports. Most of the riding is while standing on the pegs.

I used their boots and gloves and my vented kit with a base layer underneath.

You may well get bruised and battered. You will almost certainly fall off. I took the car as the prospect of a 250 mile ride home after a day's off-roading was daunting.

Given the choice of another go at Level 1 or another race school (I did the Ron Haslam school a few years ago), I'd take off-roading any day.

I’m keen to get some training from these guys too. For me it’s all about the confidence to know what me and my bike will do, to not put myself in ridiculous situations in the first place but to have a better chance to sort it out if I do. I’m a big fan of training and experience - it brings a sixth sense. And it’s that sense which whilst in a different pursuit once saved my life. That came from training!

Its great, but definitely budget in a stopover after training.

You'll be knackered and maybe not the best time to ride home, plus you get to tell all your "Dakar Deeds" stories in the pub :okay

Did the level 1 a few years ago, and it was superb. The only tips I can think of are:
- if you're thinking about it, do it.
- if it's cold, wear more layers than they might tell you to. They said we'd get hot because of the physical aspect, so not to wear many layers, but it was a cold rainy weekend and we were freezing.
- Get good accommodation nearby. You'll appreciate a good bed, and if it does rain you'll appreciate somewhere to dry kit out.

Its great, but definitely budget in a stopover after training.

You'll be knackered and maybe not the best time to ride home, plus you get to tell all your "Dakar Deeds" stories in the pub :okay

I have the night booked when i finish and might still go in the car.
I,m ok but tend to ache nowadays after a bit of phsical excercise !! :rob

2 weeks later i am on the GS challenge weekend (same place but camping) - but thats more to enjoy the riding than entering times etc to win.

Great replies so far - thank you.

Back
Top Bottom