Rate an africa twin?

I will soon be on the hunt for replacement tyres don’t do off road is there a tyre thread as I like to tread the opinions of others to help shape my buying choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d be intrigued as to tyre choice for when replacing the OEM tyres on my 2020 AT as it’ll be for 100% road use.

Up to recently I owned a 2018 ATAS DCT (2.5years) and loved the DCT on the move but low speed tricky terrain manouvering could be challenging when trying to modulate the clutch take up with the rear brake . There are various options to address this via LH bar brake M/C install, or adjusting the park brake reach to do same/similar(free & quick) . Using the stock bike as is can sometimes result you having a "whisky throttle" moment that causes the clutch pack to engage with more vigour than your desired forward movement required.

If you are road only - conti ta3. Super tyre that you can push to the edges if you’re that way inclined.
B

Up to recently I owned a 2018 ATAS DCT (2.5years) and loved the DCT on the move but low speed tricky terrain manouvering could be challenging when trying to modulate the clutch take up with the rear brake . There are various options to address this via LH bar brake M/C install, or adjusting the park brake reach to do same/similar(free & quick) . Using the stock bike as is can sometimes result you having a "whisky throttle" moment that causes the clutch pack to engage wth more vigour than your desired forward movement required.

Just a couple of thoughts.

The parking brake pads are very thin so would wear very quickly due to the heat and friction generated as it is not designed to slow the disc but just to hold it in place to prevent rolling of the bike. Just check the disc and pads frequently or better still install some heavier duty pads.

Further, it is cable operated which means quite a lot of lever pressure needs to be applied, risking stretching the cable so when you need it to hold the bike it imay become incompetent which can be a real pain on tour.

I had a 2017 one. Hated the DCT, just to level up the opinion here. Missed having a clutch for u turns, bumped pavements etc. Didn't like the ratio unless in sport but at least with a manual you can short shift when you want or not. Riding modes are all preset really.

My 2017 DCT was great for U-Turns.... :thumb2

Watch me doing it here

https://youtu.be/XYPj8T3W8hg

Having spent 17yrs on GSAs, I switched to a 2020 ATAS DCT+ES in June. 2k miles later and having added Continental trail attack 3s, the bike is just fun to ride. From London traffic to 500 motorway miles back to NIreland, the bike has been faultless. Honda OEM gear is over priced so buy Heed engine bars and aftermarket spot lights. I’m 5’9 and the new 2020 model fits perfectly with the standard seat in the low position. The tech is good with cornering lights, Apple CarPlay etc. And as per Davey B’s post, there is a knack to using the DCT on and off road. The worst thing you could do is take a test ride and leave the bike in D rather than using the manual and S1-3 sports options. And it is so much cheaper than a similarly specced GSA.

On the down side, I find the bike to be more top heavy than a GSA and it leans way over on the side stand so fit a foot extender.

I bought a slightly used 2016 AT DCT in 2017, it had 400 miles. Over the next 2 years I put 15,000 miles on it. The 2016-17's suffered from a few flaws such as problematic switch gear, spokes which corroded easily, and fork tubes which wear out prematurely because Honda specified Showa make them w/o being hard anodized.:blast
I did not have any problem with my spokes probably because I kept wax on them and I don't live near salt. My switches would occasionally not work, most often the start switch, but after spritzing silicone in them they'd eventually start working again. By the time I traded it in I felt like the forks were exhibiting some stiction that they didn't early on. Up until around 10-12,000 miles the suspension worked wonderfully for me, and at 15,000 it still wasn't bad just not as good. Extras I added were Honda panniers and a Seat Concept seat, were I to do it again I would go a different route on panniers but I would do the seat again in a heartbeat. The bike was very comfortable, it somehow reminded me of riding an Airhead GS (this is meant as a compliment) only with more power and better brakes. When the original tyres wore I replaced them with Conti TKC70's and would have put them on again had I not traded it.
AFAIK for 2018 on, the 2020 1100's for sure, the problems with switches, forks, and spokes were addressed and were I to own only one motorcycle a new 2020 1100 Africa Twin DCT just might be the one because it does a lot very well. The negatives for me are the fact it still comes with tube tyres (unless you get the pimped up Adventure Sport) and what's involved to access certain things on the bike, for instance I was quoted 5 hours shop time at $95 per hour just to inspect the valve lash, which was about due when I traded it.

I wouldn’t be boasting about that, if I were you. ;)

I wasn't boasting, I was showing a short video clip of a DCT Africa Twin doing a U-Turn around 2 parking bays.

It wasn't practiced, it wasn't rehearst, I just said I'd have a go standing up.

I had two shots at it... for fun, on camera. That is all.

Don't you do stuff, just for fun?

I road tested a brand new Africa Twin DCT last August having narrowed my choice down to that or a R1200GSA. Up until that point I had always bought Japanese bikes.

I thought it was underpowered, chugged along like a diesel and changed up the gears far too soon. I found the seat to be on the hard side and very narrow. It didn't help that the demonstrator had the low seat fitted. That said it handled superbly into corners.

Each to their own!

I road tested a brand new Africa Twin DCT last August having narrowed my choice down to that or a R1200GSA. Up until that point I had always bought Japanese bikes.

I thought it was underpowered, chugged along like a diesel and changed up the gears far too soon. I found the seat to be on the hard side and very narrow. It didn't help that the demonstrator had the low seat fitted. That said it handled superbly into corners.

Each to their own!

Its a shame you didn’t take time to work out how the DCT works.....

Well after experimenting with a Crosstourer then a KTM 1090R I'm back to an Africa Twin, a 2020 basic version, manual box. I just wish it'd quit snowing because I can't wait to ride it.

Had a manual for a few years now, went to Poland on it. It's OK but overall I miss my 1150 GS which, even though older and heavier just suited me better.

I’ve 21k on my manual ‘16 AT now and am still more than happy with it. In fact, the only bike I’d change it for would be a DCT ATAS like Arseys one as I still prefer those over the new model. After minor switchgear niggles, fixed under warranty, the bike has been brilliant and looks as good as the day it was brought home.

Attachments

• FD7B52B6-341F-40C7-8428-1FF7B34256CF.jpg
    FD7B52B6-341F-40C7-8428-1FF7B34256CF.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 167
I’ve 21k on my manual ‘16 AT now and am still more than happy with it. In fact, the only bike I’d change it for would be a DCT ATAS like Arseys one as I still prefer those over the new model. After minor switchgear niggles, fixed under warranty, the bike has been brilliant and looks as good as the day it was brought home.

Yup, agreed.
I’m not really a fan of the latest styling,though the Apple Car Play on the TFT would be useful.
But my bike is only worth £6.5 to 7k and there’s no way I’m getting ride to spend three times that on something festooned with a load of crap.
And the DCT is still the game-changer for me.
Does make me laugh how many seem to test a DCT, slag it off for being crap but they’ve obviously not had the slightest clue about how it works or what the modes do.Surely a dealer should do a quick walk round to give prospective purchasers a few hints !!

Anyway, great bikes, manual or DCT !!

4a0e89e3c3273b4e1454389dd894c75b.jpg

Does make me laugh how many seem to test a DCT, slag it off for being crap but they’ve obviously not had the slightest clue about how it works or what the modes do.Surely a dealer should do a quick walk round to give prospective purchasers a few hints !!

The young lad at NW Honda who went thru the functions with me, prior to our two up test ride, went to town on explaining D, S1, S2 and S3. The difference is night and day and the S settings had me hooked. If I'd gone back and moaned about upchanges at 2k revs and a lack of fizz, if the sales bod then didn't explain the S mode, he/she fully deserves a shit salary and no 1/4-ly sales bonus.
3.5 yrs in, still love my DCT

The young lad at NW Honda who went thru the functions with me, prior to our two up test ride, went to town on explaining D, S1, S2 and S3. The difference is night and day and the S settings had me hooked. If I'd gone back and moaned about upchanges at 2k revs and a lack of fizz, if the sales bod then didn't explain the S mode, he/she fully deserves a shit salary and no 1/4-ly sales bonus.
3.5 yrs in, still love my DCT

Agree, yet Gesanners above obviously had no such advice, as he slagged it off for changing up too soon, so he must have sat in D the whole test !!
The DCT on the 2016 bike was good but the 2018 is a step up, with the autoblipper on downshifts.
I’m sure the 1100s are even better.

Back
Top Bottom