Making my R9T truly suit me........

Martyn H

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Approx. a year ago, I first saw publicity photo’s of the R9T/5, a version of the R9T Pure, but with styling to emulate the 1969 R75/5, & I decided I wanted one.
My local dealer had several on order, & promised me that I could see the first one to arrive, & then make my mind up. As it happened, they only received one, but they were as good as their word, & I decided I did indeed want it.
Before delivery I opted to spend a few bob on styling, by paying for the optional tacho. to give the twin-clocks look, & I also opted for the retro rocker box covers, reminiscent of the old R69 etc.
I also purchased a Wunderlich colour-matched mudguard or hugger, & a Monza styled petrol filler cap, to complete the /5 look.
I totally accept that none of these were a necessary purchase, but they pleased me.
Thanks to the March “lock-down” it took a while to get some miles on the clock, but I soon decided that to be comfortable, I’d need handle-bar raisers, & a footrest lowering kit, again from Wunderlich.
This was a big improvement for me, as it been on my old R1150R, & my current R1200R, so it was no surprise, & I totally accept that some people find the bike comfortable out of the crate.
As I grew used to the bike, two things still niggled me.
Firstly, the lack of the centre-stand, which makes cleaning the wheels & getting the valves into the correct position for a tyre-pressure check, a real PITA, & make checking the oil-level sight glass a two man job !
Secondly, the rear shock. As was posted most eloquently on another thread, I too never thought I was buying a Fireblade or any sort of track-day missile, but even on a mild country “bimble” it all felt rather crude in the rear suspension department. I also acknowledge that I weigh more than the standard purchaser BMW may have had in mind…….
To correct these two points I opened my wallet again, & bought a Wunderlich after-market centre-stand, & a Wilbers rear shock.
The stand is a big improvement, although it does take more effort than most BMW centre stands I’ve used - but I’ve also had worse on a factory fit. I can see me using it to park the bike in the garage, but maybe for parking by the side of the road mid-journey, the side stand will prove to be the easiest option.
As for the Wilbers, chalk & cheese. Much more compliant, & I don’t regret buying it.
So now, after spending quite a few quid, most of it arguably unnecessary, but which i happily chose to spend, I’ve now got the bike set-up for me.
Roll on the spring………..

Attachments

• With centre-stand 01.jpg
    With centre-stand 01.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 607
  • With centre-stand 05.jpg
    With centre-stand 05.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 603
That looks very nice indeed.:beerjug:

I see you have the footrest lowering kit. Does the centre stand fit ok with that setup ??

That looks very nice indeed.:beerjug:

I see you have the footrest lowering kit. Does the centre stand fit ok with that setup ??

Yes. I double-checked with Wunderlich before I purchased the stand, & they assured me it would be fine, & they were correct !

Very nice. It's a shame we need to spend so much on them just to make them a decent ride ie suspension but they are one of those bikes that once you get them as you want they are brilliant. I want one of those huggers in black. :thumb2

Good choice going for the Wilbers; it really does transform the handling of bike.

It has been the best “bang for my bucks” on my little 9T.
I have in the past used both Ohlins & Wilbers on various bikes. They were both a good choice but Wilbers are priced more to my liking........:)
And the Wilbers is even a colour match !

Attachments

• Wilbers.jpg
    Wilbers.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 503
Martyn...Your bike is beautiful.I had a 2016 R 9 T and mine also had Ohlins fork / shock , Akrapovic single exhaust which sounded even deeper than the stock one as also the Wunderlich "R90S" fairing which looks good and works great as also tubeless wheels which are lighter and much easier to live with if you catch a nail on the road...
But I sold it because I missed BMW factory hard-luggage and Telelever which works better than the Ohlins fork...Wished the R Nine T 2.0 had adressed these issues but unfortunately BMW decided just on cosmetics and EU-5 compliance...So I don't have to buy another one...;)

Martyn...Your bike is beautiful.I had a 2016 R 9 T and mine also had Ohlins fork / shock , Akrapovic single exhaust which sounded even deeper than the stock one as also the Wunderlich "R90S" fairing which looks good and works great as also tubeless wheels which are lighter and much easier to live with if you catch a nail on the road...
But I sold it because I missed BMW factory hard-luggage and Telelever which works better than the Ohlins fork...Wished the R Nine T 2.0 had adressed these issues but unfortunately BMW decided just on cosmetics and EU-5 compliance...So I don't have to buy another one...;)
I freely admit this bike is a total tart, & is unlikely to ever get wet.........
I am a big fan of the Telever, & have owned some ten bikes so fitted over the years; I am fortunate enough to still have my 2014 R1200R with panniers & small top-box, so that covers my main transport needs.
This bike allows me to (unconvincingly) play the part of a "hipster"......

Martin I myself had 3 R1200R bikes...The real ones with Telelever...:thumby:
The R 9 T looks much better the R1200R rides much better and is more practical with factory bags and linked brakes...To bad you can't have it all...:confused:

Martin I myself had 3 R1200R bikes...The real ones with Telelever...:thumby:
The R 9 T looks much better the R1200R rides much better and is more practical with factory bags and linked brakes...To bad you can't have it all...:confused:
Like this ? This picture is a few years old, & she is now fitted with an AC Schnitzer all black finish can, to continue the "Black & white" theme.

Attachments

• IMAG0152.jpg
    IMAG0152.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 427
That was the one...A 2014 Dark/White...Mine had the Wunderlich S-fairing,lower S1000R handlebar,Akrapovic Slip-On and Ohlins shocks front & rear...Best aircooled-boxer ever made...:thumby: Just wished it was as beautiful as the R 9 T or the R 9 T as practical and good riding with Telelever and all...;)

Evermore off topic, but who cares........
The R1150R that preceded my R1200R.

Attachments

• P5070030.jpg
    P5070030.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 395
Also a very niece bike Martin...:thumby: Back then I had a R1100S and R1150GS...But the 1170 hexhead engines from 2005 on were so much smoother and freer revving with more power...From 2010 on the camheads finally had a nice boxer-sound too thanks to the exhaust flap...:thumb2
Good times !

Back
Top Bottom