End of the line?

longdog

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looks like the Super Tenere is being dropped in 2021, no news of it’s successor. :nenau

It wasn't a big success for them.

They tried to enter the ADV market with that and it didn't cut the mustard, owned one and as great a touring bike as it is which was fine if you were continent crossing I always felt it was overweight and under powered, may be it was my riding style but that was always my thoughts when riding for a weekend day trip.

I'm not so sure Yamaha need to get in to the ADV market anymore now with their 700 Tenere blowing most other bikes out the water with sales and their MT range which turned the company around.

I really like my S10, it's not very fast, certainly isn't light but I just like it, I also can't see them replacing it, they'd never compete with the current crop of 1250/1260/1290's and it would be a disaster if they tried.

I could see a 900cc version to take on thw Tiger 900 though, theyd really have to up their game on the technology front though.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

theyd really have to up their game on the technology front though.

Have you seen the technology they have in their R1 ? or even MT10.

Whether they have the desire to do so is another matter but again, I see no need for them to compete at the 900 mark, their tracer is another huge seller as is their MT09 and they seem to have started their own market in their current bikes.

With the new Tracer 9 and the T7, they seem to have everything covered, and they’re flying out the door. I read somewhere, probably on here, that the Tracer saved Yamaha. As mentioned, the S10 was never a big seller, so maybe they’ve realised they don’t actually need a big adventure bike in their range.

I had a S10 brand new in 2013. Toured Europe for 3 years 2 up fully loaded with no issues whatsoever. Yes it was a tad under powered, a Hilltop reflash helped a little bit but not loads. The better half said the pillion seat was as comfy as any other bike weve had over the years, apart from the Guzzi Breva which was like a cushion, in her words...the comfiest bike ever.

The only reason we changed was the test ride on a 2016 GSA 1200.....it was like night and day. I wanted to hate the BMW but it was so much better power and handling wise that we ended up buying it.

I still say that if Yamaha produced a 1400 Triple Tenere..with 150BHP and maybe a few kilos lighter than we would have one in a minute.

Looks like the Super Tenere is being dropped in 2021, no news of it’s successor. :nenau

Nor will the FJR1300 be made Euro 5 compliant. It looks like the adventure tourers are rendering the classic tourers obsolete.

The only middleweight (ahem!) shaft drive tourer is the RT and that is outsold 10:1 by the GS.

Back
Top Bottom