Ceramic coating vs Paintguard vs ACF 50 vs old style wax & elbow grease?

simondippenhall

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am hoping to take delivery of my new Honda next week.

As it’s to be a year round bike (as all mine are) I am wondering whether to get a ceramic treatment, or try Paintguard, or just slather the metal bits with ACF 50 as I did my old Electra glide (with considerable success).

My RT was ‘nano coated’ prior to delivery 5 years ago and the coating seemed to work well. But I gather from Bahnstormer they have now moved from that to using Paintguard.

My last Honda was a Pan which I just washed down after my daily commute with a hose....and seemed to survive that well.

Glad to draw on the knowledge of the collective on preferred (and proven) ways of protecting the bike.

Thanks in advance!

I reckon ACF 50 or XCP corrosion block for the metal, silicone spray for the matt black plastics, screen and rubbers (except tyres, grips and foot rests of course, before someone passes commemts on the obvious) plus venture sheild, paintguard or similar film for the painted plastics. Venturesheild has a self healing property and is the best protection against stone chips whereas nano-coatings or paint sealants are far less effective in this respect, but do maintain a fantastic shine.

I reckon ACF 50 or XCP corrosion block for the metal, silicone spray for the matt black plastics, screen and rubbers (except tyres, grips and foot rests of course, before someone passes commemts on the obvious) plus venture sheild, paintguard or similar film for the painted plastics. Venturesheild has a self healing property and is the best protection against stone chips whereas nano-coatings or paint sealants are far less effective in this respect, but do maintain a fantastic shine.

I agree with Gsite :okay

Hi I've ceramic coated all my bikes, its cheap enough doing it yourself.

I've also done three mates bikes as well as the ceramic bottle (with sprayer) I bought did about 6 bikes, so if you've got mates that want it doing, you can reap back some small cost and help them out too.

Its all about cleaning it properly first, if its a new bike you're getting, even better should be clean to start with but will require some more work.

I'm sure there's a great thread on here with a guy showing you how to clean, degrease and then apply the ceramic. TBH its easy.

Clean it to within an inch of its life, use some mild cirtrus degreaser if you wish, then wipe all parts with ISO (alcohol) to make sure ceramic will adhere.

Then the ceramic is lightly sprayed on and then lightly buffed with a clean cloth. Its easier than applying to a car (as they apply with small pads across the panels with cars), clearly you cant do that to all the inner bits!!

Make sure the bike is dry before application and enough heat in the room your doing it in. Best in the lounge!!

The road grime etc really doesnt stick that well to it after a ceramic coating.

When I get home from a really horrible ride and its full of crap, I just use Muc Off (not everyone is a fan) leave it for 5 mins whilst I get a brew then then hose off, 98% of crap is then removed. If you want you can then clean bike again but its pretty much fine.

You can also out some ACF50 around the place if you wish to help winter rides. certainly on spokes, it wont harm anything.

Hope this helps

Ali

Search for these thread

Ceramic Coating for your bike - pretty good with videos

Hi I've ceramic coated all my bikes, its cheap enough doing it yourself.

I've also done three mates bikes as well as the ceramic bottle (with sprayer) I bought did about 6 bikes, so if you've got mates that want it doing, you can reap back some small cost and help them out too.

Its all about cleaning it properly first, if its a new bike you're getting, even better should be clean to start with but will require some more work.

I'm sure there's a great thread on here with a guy showing you how to clean, degrease and then apply the ceramic. TBH its easy.

Clean it to within an inch of its life, use some mild cirtrus degreaser if you wish, then wipe all parts with ISO (alcohol) to make sure ceramic will adhere.

Then the ceramic is lightly sprayed on and then lightly buffed with a clean cloth. Its easier than applying to a car (as they apply with small pads across the panels with cars), clearly you cant do that to all the inner bits!!

Make sure the bike is dry before application and enough heat in the room your doing it in. Best in the lounge!!

The road grime etc really doesnt stick that well to it after a ceramic coating.

When I get home from a really horrible ride and its full of crap, I just use Muc Off (not everyone is a fan) leave it for 5 mins whilst I get a brew then then hose off, 98% of crap is then removed. If you want you can then clean bike again but its pretty much fine.

You can also out some ACF50 around the place if you wish to help winter rides. certainly on spokes, it wont harm anything.

Hope this helps

Ali

Do you know if ceramic coating works with matt paint finishes eg. the 'denim' paint finishes that HD are fond of these days? :nenau

Hi it should work with anything its only a hard coating which provides a much much longer protection than wax. Ive ceramic coated everything on my bike, bodywork, plastic even the exhaust.

In terms of ruining a matt finish, I've just watched this 'WILL CERAMIC COATING CHANGE THE SHEEN ON MATTE PAINT | FEYNLAB ON MATTE PAINT'

on Youtube and it pretty much keeps the matt finish IMHO

I'm not a detailer and don't profess to be so, but I was certainly happy to do it on my bikes and one of my cars. Its a different technique but you can see in the video that you could apply as they do to panels with the pads.

My mates do detailing and have done my cars........its all in the cleaning and prep, pretty much like anything else. The application of the ceramic itself seems pretty easy.

With cars if there not new then its about machine polishing the bodywork to bring back to showroom condition with the confidence you don't go through the layers of paint. That's the hard and laborious bits.

I hope this is useful

Ali

Do you know if ceramic coating works with matt paint finishes eg. the 'denim' paint finishes that HD are fond of these days? :nenau

I did my GS which is matte blue - V. happy with the result on the paint and varios

Thanks all...the bike has had a ceramic coating and I am collecting tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom