Basecamp + MacOS Big Sur

Status
Not open for further replies.

peej1977

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all this may well be a well known issue but I got a new Mac yesterday to replace my ageing Windows laptop, it came with Big Sur installed and Basecamp does NOT play well with it at all. I assumed it was the new Apple M1 chip but Googling suggests it's Big Sur.

The UI lags and for me at least is almost unusable. Only way to make it usable is to switch the mode in the View menu to display 3D only.

Apologies if this has already been discussed, I did have a quick look before I posted.

Yes its doesn't work at; the spinning carousel of death appears most of the time.

I have Parallels on my Mac so I run Windows 10 too. I downloaded Basecamp for Windows and it works fine in the Windows section.

I don't know if this is an option for you?

Yes its doesn't work at; the spinning carousel of death appears most of the time.

I have Parallels on my Mac so I run Windows 10 too. I downloaded Basecamp for Windows and it works fine in the Windows section.

I don't know if this is an option for you?

Parallels hasn't yet been optimised for the new Apple M1 chip so I'll wait before renewing my licence for that. Luckily I still have a Windows 10 desktop I can use but at this time of year thankfully I'm not using BaseCamp much :)

I’ve just failed to install the new Mac OS Big Sur and the install aborted on two occasions ; must be buggy. (I haven’t experienced this with Mac before ) I advise avoiding Big Sur for awhile .

I’ve just failed to install the new Mac OS Big Sur and the install aborted on two occasions ; must be buggy. (I haven’t experienced this with Mac before ) I advise avoiding Big Sur for awhile .

Mine came with it installed but that's a fair point! I think if I had the previous version I'd be staying on it for a while.

I gave up on Mac and Basecamp 10 years ago.

I just couldn't make the transition, in my head, from Mapsource on a Windows machine to Basecamp on my iMac (this was 10 years ago). I found it highly unintuitive to say the least. Luckily I haven't needed to plan a route as such, most of my journeys have been just getting to a destination.
I have Big Sur on my MacBook so am interested in developments here.

tom

Garmin hasn't updated Basecamp, and given their track record... I guess it'll be unusable (in Big Sur) for quite a while still.

In general I'd advice to wait before upgrading to Big Sur. It is not terrible, I just bought a new Mac (Intel) and runs Big Sur, but there is a few problems, especially with audio as well.
If you don't strictly need the update: wait.

Another pointer: for some (obscure to me) reasons, the version of Basecamp published on Garmin's site has a different release pipeline than the one on the App Store. For quite a while up to last year one of them was 32bit only, while the other was 64bit.
Makes sense to check them both because of this, as sometimes they seem to differ slightly in code.

New version of BaseCamp is out with updates to fix issues with Big Sur. Thread can probably be closed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom