NEW GOLDWING GOING BACK :-(

Apex

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Can I preface this by saying this is only the second Honda I've ever owned and I'm sure this situation is unusual.

From the top.

Goldwing - What a bike. Really didn't think it would be 'me' but once I got my head around the fact they aren't fast, uncomfortable or an adventure bike, I really liked it. But...

I've used the word 'but' before and on this occasion it seems warranted.

I took delivery from WHEELS HONDA on the 19th November. They have been great, so far, but I'm definitely watching this space.

From minute 1 the bike was excessively noisy when accelerating reasonably and at 70mph cruise.
Day 1 discussions about 'it won't be the bike but probably your ears' have taken place. This was going to get looked at by Wheels at first service. I also noticed an exhaust trim isn't sitting correctly and the fuel lever access door fit is not as quite £30k bike.

However, the bit I've kept quiet about is the paint on the right cylinder head. See pic. 1st pic is after first wash - the bike wasn't particularly dirty. Proper job 'suds' and water and a microfiber mit. A chunk of paint came off. I wasn't happy about it as you can imagine - day 3 and paint is coming off. Probably unusual, but it's happening.

I mentioned to Wheels and the first comment was a 'smart repair'. This was rejected for very obvious reasons. Days passed and Honda as I understand things said they would front for a new cylinder head. This is where things have fallen from the wagon.

I just got to thinking, new right cylinder head, when will the left one fail? Then it got worse with wash 2, see pic. I thought long and hard about it, but I just can't get my head around a brand new £30k bike needing major engine work. I can't. Bad enough on a £3k Grom but not a £30k Goldwing. That repair would sit with the bike until I sold it, at which point it would no doubt be a reason either to de-value it or just not buy it. Would you buy this one if you had a choice of bikes? I asked the Wheels manager yesterday if he would be pleased to spend £30k of his own money on a new bike that then immediately needed major work - needless to say he didn't respond. I'm not prepared to spend the ownership period of the bike crossing my fingers and hoping for the best for the rest of the paintwork or fit and finish of the bike.

So it's going back as a rejected bike. I've got a good policy on my house insurance with serious legal cover and after speaking with them yesterday (and two other companies) it's clear that a full refund is in order. For 30 days after purchase, if the bike is defective you can return it - see pic 3.

My hope is that Wheels Motorcycles take it on the chin, but 'wheel' see. After all, it's a Honda issue really and not created by Wheels Motos. That said, in law, your contract is with the dealer and not the manufacturer, so I'm hoping to report that Wheels treat me well as they have done thus far.

As I say, watch this space.

Attachments

• Cyl Head 1.jpg
    Cyl Head 1.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 951
  • Cyl Head 2.jpg
    Cyl Head 2.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 957
  • Cyl Head 3.jpg
    Cyl Head 3.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 945
I think you are right to reject it. Although not a major issue itself, the paint should not come off and you shouldn't accept a repair that's any less than replacement parts. If the cylinder head(s) are replaced and there are no other issues, that's fine but, once you have accepted the repair and waited to see it it's OK, I suspect you will lose your right to reject the bike.

And it doesn't really matter how much the bike cost; it shouldn't shed paint so soon in its life.

What will you replace it with?

Presumably you had a test ride, was the demonstrator as noisy? And was the demonstrator put together properly? You still get the Friday afternoon bikes unfortunately, the one that is the exception to a quality standard.

The paint could be a one off but still not acceptable at that price. Don't blame you for returning it, otherwise you'd be forever wondering what next.

I think you are right to reject it. Although not a major issue itself, the paint should not come off and you shouldn't accept a repair that's any less than replacement parts. If the cylinder head(s) are replaced and there are no other issues, that's fine but, once you have accepted the repair and waited to see it it's OK, I suspect you will lose your right to reject the bike.

And it doesn't really matter how much the bike cost; it shouldn't shed paint so soon in its life.

What will you replace it with?

Thats hitting the nail on the head. You let the dealer 'have a go' at fixing it, you sail past the 30 day cut-off and your rights diminish overnight! Just not going to be left holding a £30k baby.

I hope another Goldwing. But for sure I'll ride a couple of different ones before committing the cash again. I've told Wheels that they haven't lost the customer yet, but that depends on how they treat me now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Presumably you had a test ride, was the demonstrator as noisy? And was the demonstrator put together properly? You still get the Friday afternoon bikes unfortunately, the one that is the exception to a quality standard.

The paint could be a one off but still not acceptable at that price. Don't blame you for returning it, otherwise you'd be forever wondering what next.

Thanks. Agreed.

I spoke with my local bike mechanic - a very knowledgeable bloke. He was really surprised to hear of the issue and said in 40+ years of working on bikes of all brands that Honda's have always been right up there in his eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Missed off pic 3.

Attachments

• Rights.JPG
    Rights.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 894
Given Honda's reputation for quality of finish this is a surprise but I guess everybody's star wanes from time to time and it would seem that something has gone badly wrong during the painting process. Your confidence has taken a knock and now you are just waiting and wondering what the next problem will be. You must be disappointed but stick to your guns, if Wheels have any integrity and business sense they will support you all the way and help you get a replacement bike and retain you as a customer who will return for maintenance,parts and service. Good luck!

You must be gutted. I went to Honda to get away from BMW’s questionable quality. Hope it’s a one off and you get it sorted

I'm sure you've got this covered, but the situation may be different if you have financed the bike via PCP or similar. Make sure you involve any interested parties, especially as there is a time limit.

Can I preface this by saying this is only the second Honda I've ever owned and I'm sure this situation is unusual.

From the top.

Goldwing - What a bike. Really didn't think it would be 'me' but once I got my head around the fact they aren't fast, uncomfortable or an adventure bike, I really liked it. But...

I've used the word 'but' before and on this occasion it seems warranted.

I took delivery from WHEELS HONDA on the 19th November. They have been great, so far, but I'm definitely watching this space.

From minute 1 the bike was excessively noisy when accelerating reasonably and at 70mph cruise.
Day 1 discussions about 'it won't be the bike but probably your ears' have taken place. This was going to get looked at by Wheels at first service. I also noticed an exhaust trim isn't sitting correctly and the fuel lever access door fit is not as quite £30k bike.

However, the bit I've kept quiet about is the paint on the right cylinder head. See pic. 1st pic is after first wash - the bike wasn't particularly dirty. Proper job 'suds' and water and a microfiber mit. A chunk of paint came off. I wasn't happy about it as you can imagine - day 3 and paint is coming off. Probably unusual, but it's happening.

I mentioned to Wheels and the first comment was a 'smart repair'. This was rejected for very obvious reasons. Days passed and Honda as I understand things said they would front for a new cylinder head. This is where things have fallen from the wagon.

I just got to thinking, new right cylinder head, when will the left one fail? Then it got worse with wash 2, see pic. I thought long and hard about it, but I just can't get my head around a brand new £30k bike needing major engine work. I can't. Bad enough on a £3k Grom but not a £30k Goldwing. That repair would sit with the bike until I sold it, at which point it would no doubt be a reason either to de-value it or just not buy it. Would you buy this one if you had a choice of bikes? I asked the Wheels manager yesterday if he would be pleased to spend £30k of his own money on a new bike that then immediately needed major work - needless to say he didn't respond. I'm not prepared to spend the ownership period of the bike crossing my fingers and hoping for the best for the rest of the paintwork or fit and finish of the bike.

So it's going back as a rejected bike. I've got a good policy on my house insurance with serious legal cover and after speaking with them yesterday (and two other companies) it's clear that a full refund is in order. For 30 days after purchase, if the bike is defective you can return it - see pic 3.

My hope is that Wheels Motorcycles take it on the chin, but 'wheel' see. After all, it's a Honda issue really and not created by Wheels Motos. That said, in law, your contract is with the dealer and not the manufacturer, so I'm hoping to report that Wheels treat me well as they have done thus far.

As I say, watch this space.

Its one of the smoothest engines in production. Plus the fact it's a £30k bike supposedly brimming with Honda quality.
I would have thought this noise alone should cause enough concern for it to be returned to the dealer within an hour of collection.

In fairness to Honda I find you hear the engine more on a wing. It’s down to the fact you don’t get as much wind noise.

PS. Should nave got a red one . :p

Quite right to reject the bike, let it go and start again. Having been in a similar situation with bikes and cars in the past I know it gets messy no matter how nice the dealer may be. The most important thing bar none is to reject it in writing with the 30 days via recorded delivery as this proves they have received it. I would also follow up email and get a response so the "trail" can be proven. He said, they said you said can be difficult to prove down the line. The legal cover will take the case if they feel there is a good chance of success and many have a £50 excess which is worth paying to get the ball rolling with a letter to the dealer if there is any suspicion that they are going to decline your rejection or impose terms other than a full refund of purchase price.

I recall one dealer tried to call my bluff, saying to me that they could afford a much bigger legal bill than I could, then showed him the confirmation from my legal team that they would take the case and cover the cost to £100,000 - he soon recoiled and replaced the car with a brand new one of higher spec as that is all they had in stock to avoid another 4 month wait for a factory order.

Good luck with it, hope it is as stress free as possible, life is too short.

I recall one dealer tried to call my bluff, saying to me that they could afford a much bigger legal bill than I could, then showed him the confirmation from my legal team that they would take the case and cover the cost to £100,000 - he soon recoiled

I do like that - A classic bully boy who got all he deserved..:thumb2

OP. Please keep us in the loop. We are always hearing about consumer law/rejecting vehicles etc. It would be nice to know the outcome here.

FWIW. £30K or not, I would want my money back.

Made me rush out to check mine - tis grand.
What will they do with it ? Must be cheaper for Honda to give it to someone with £x grand off - than start to faff about changing engines ?? (what is x ??)

Made me rush out to check mine - tis grand.
What will they do with it ? Must be cheaper for Honda to give it to someone with £x grand off - than start to faff about changing engines ?? (what is x ??)

I suspect they’ll repair it and sell it on and the new owner will never know.

When I saw the headline I thought that it was going to be another Goldwing that the new rider didn’t get on with, rather than a defect, as others have said, unlike Mr Honda.

Following with interest

:beerjug:

Wow, never heard of that sort of problem with a Goldwing before. The fit & finish of every Honda I've ever bought over the years (9) has always been impeccable.

You are right to reject it IMHO. Best to move on, but I know finance deals can sometimes bring an added complexity.

I fell into the trap with a K1600GT in 2014. After delivery, we had a lengthy spell of crap weather; I missed the opportunity to reject the bike (front damper & gearbox failed) & kicked myself. The bike took 3 months to fix, once the dealer stopped the usual denial tactics; circa £8k of warranty work & a whole lost summer of riding. Murphy's Law strikes again. Doubtless it has behaved perfectly for subsequent owners.

Back
Top Bottom