Airhead 80-100 G/S Adventure Build

Thank you for your reply Nin. I would like to think your bike, when finished was used on a rally but at the same time if it was mine, I would use it on sunny days and have kittens if it got scratched. It's going to be a lovely bike and a work of art. I get great great pleasure just looking at these bikes. It always amazes me that Mickyboy can build bikes that are better than the factory, it's obvious that you can too. Keep up the good work and I'm sure you will make a big profit if you do decide to sell. :bow

..agree with everything you said ... except may be the 'profit' bit:aidan

Aw shucks fellas, thanks.

Agree on the profit thing, unless some rock star takes a fancy to it.

Not yet decided anyway, currently at 80% keep, 20% sell.

Rear subframe back from powder. 24hr turnaround and £10 for prime and satin traffic blue. Not bad service.

IMG_4332.jpg

Just dropped the seat off with Gez at Nahoulakian Classic Car & Motorcycle Trimshop

IMG_4414.jpg

Picked out a nice gloss white for the sides, and waterproof alcantara effect for the top.

IMG_4413.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Picked out a nice gloss white for the sides, and waterproof alcantara effect for the top.

I'm wondering what's the difference between alcantara effect and alcantara?

Nice one, good attention to detail.

Alcantara is a brand name, So the competition use ‘Alcantara effect’ for their copies.

As a long time member of the Kawasaki Triples Club, I have witnessed some spectacular restorations and 'special' builds over many years.

This build IMHO is right up there...simply stunning attention to detail and top quality craftsmanship

Well done sir

Thanks old rabbit, very kind words.

And if youve ridden a K triple you don’t need to prove your courage.

We used to run Kawasaki Exeter , had a few nice ones through there.

Good progress. You seem to have a blue and a black spring for the rear shock. Which one are you going with, and whichever one you are going with, would you mind letting me have the numbers off the spring please.

PM incoming.

Because I’m slightly OCD about oil pressure, I want to have a direct pressure gauge, and the standard ‘red light’.

That requires an adapter. There’s a neat one for racing cars:

IMG_4652.jpg

So taking off the sender unit on the engine casing, and fit the adapter.

IMG_4653.jpg

Then fit the extender hose so we can tuck the business end out of the way under the tank.

IMG_4655.jpg

Just going to hold it in place with stand-off zip ties for now.

IMG_4654.jpg

Then just need to cut the hose to the gauge to length and fit on here

IMG_4656.jpg

Before we can do that I need to finish the dash layout, so that’s next.

Good progress. You seem to have a blue and a black spring for the rear shock. Which one are you going with, and whichever one you are going with, would you mind letting me have the numbers off the spring please.

PM incoming.

Hi Tufty

No just the black spring, I’ll have a look at the specs and get back to you.

Rodger so I’ve already got a template for the dashboard, so next job is to get it laid out on a bit of MDF.

IMG_4660.jpg

Obvs not got positions quite right

But let’s stick it on anyway to see how it looks

IMG_4661.jpg

IMG_4662.jpg

Not too bad - but the voltage gauge fouls the brake hose guide, doh

IMG_4663.jpg

But that after all is why we do it this way …

Just got to reposition those smaller gauges. That’s tomorrow’s job, dog needs a walk and there’s Pouilly Fumee in the fridge.

Hi Tufty

No just the black spring, I’ll have a look at the specs and get back to you.

Thank you.

The numbers are written on the spring. I can almost make it out from one of your photos, but not quite.

And at last we’ve got a dashboard layout that works.

IMG_4665.jpg

I’ll get that on a template and over to the metal cutters.

Now need to sort the oil pressure line from the adapter to the gauge now that we’ve settled where it’s going to be.

I got about 5 metres of copper line, only need about 75 cm.

So just need to remove the soldered union, cut the line to length and re-solder.

IMG_4669.jpg
IMG_4670.jpg
IMG_4671.jpg

Back
Top Bottom