Airhead 80-100 G/S Adventure Build

I was chasing too many variables, so “Baxter Basics” (one of the shorter-lived Viz characters)

Start by wiring up all the warning lights, excellent, they work. For the ocd amongst us, I can reassure that both turn signals work.

IMG_4197.jpg

Then piggy back the new speedo unit, and excellent they work too!

IMG_4198.jpg

And a nice surprise is that the new speedo also includes a volt meter and rev counter, so I can do away with them (though I may keep the analogue rev counter as I have it now).

A little more tinkering with the wiring tonight, all connections now properly crimped so ready for going into the dash

IMG_4216.jpg
IMG_4217.jpg

Rev counter arrived, unfortunately not an easy panel fit, but we’ll give it a go

IMG_4215.jpg

Then fitted the remotes for the DMD, and for the speedo

IMG_4218.jpg
IMG_4219.jpg

But getting an irritating occasional drop out of the charge light. No obvious reason why and seems totally random.

A bit of investigation finds this bad.

5121c8fc8bcc2da48b9570b72133ec11.jpg

The spade connector had popped out of its slightly shonky connector block, so was making intermittent contact. Little Fecker.

Now it’s sorted

288301de92c0ed33c1302692b88a1314.jpg

Also took the time to make two extra switched fused 12v outputs from the fuse box, they will come in handy later.

Oh and found these - not sure what to do with ‘em.

aa11df7377db955fe0bc78a3a00added.jpg

I get that the speedo remote is for laptimer - does it also switch between speedo and rpm (guage is marked for both)? And what is this DPD of which you speak..?

Hi Rob

Speedo remote switches digital display between modes - air temp, rpm, clock, timer, eng hours etc.

DPD is DMD - Drive Mode Dashboard. https://www.drivemodedashboard.com/

Basically an electronic dash and road book/nav - a bit like the TFT screen functionality on modern bikes.

The remote allows control of the functions and road book.

It’s a slippery slope …

Soon you'll be able to send the bike out on its own, whilst you stay at home and watch the telly!! :blast

I can watch telly while riding which is next best.

Although srsly the electronic road book was deciding factor to go down the DMD route.

I can watch telly while riding which is next best.

Although srsly the electronic road book was deciding factor to go down the DMD route.

Yeah, after seeing Tetley's set up and then the DMD on Nomad Sweden's YouTube channel, I can certainly see the appeal. You now know what to get me for Christmas. :augie

A nicer chap you could not meet. We’ve agreed the colour scheme and late June collection, so it’s over to him now.

09d7508deb939960be87f85851af3a2b.jpg

Pearlescent alpine white, traffic blue metallic flash, black text. Internal surface of the fairing will be Matt grey.

Now for the seat to go to trimmers, and rear subframe to powder.

In the me as prime I’ll finish of a mock-up dash from 5mm DMF for Sharpsy to cut me one from 2mm stainless.

Then rig up the oil pressure gauge, and get it started.

May I ask what the bike is going to be used for when it's finished? It's looking great so far. Edit. Oh! I was reading the thread from about half way through when it was an airhead, now it's an oil head? I guess I'll best start at the very beginning, a very good place to start........ According to Julie Andrews anyway. :thumb

No it’s an airhead - just had Siebenrock 1000cc kit fitted and standard oil cooler that fit the GS bikes.

Plan was to build a light, reliable, fixable-anywhere long distance travel bike that can work in 50/50 on/off road.

I’m curious about these PDF roadbooks - is it standard now or do most rally's just give you hundreds of A4 sheets and a big rollof sellotape?

Thank you for your reply Nin. I would like to think your bike, when finished was used on a rally but at the same time if it was mine, I would use it on sunny days and have kittens if it got scratched. It's going to be a lovely bike and a work of art. I get great great pleasure just looking at these bikes. It always amazes me that Mickyboy can build bikes that are better than the factory, it's obvious that you can too. Keep up the good work and I'm sure you will make a big profit if you do decide to sell. :bow

Back
Top Bottom