Airhead 80-100 G/S Adventure Build

And I tried fitting the Keihan 2:2 system.

I quite like, so will go with that for now

IMG_1935.jpg
IMG_1936.jpg

Also works well with soft luggage

IMG_1937.jpg

Welder is lined up to fabricate the subframe and rear rack.

And metal shop will knock up a couple of front axle spacers. Precision stuff this!

IMG_1928.jpg
a933cafb-830c-4220-b7e9-ff4357f634ef.jpg

It's looking great. I have to chuckle at how clean that crankcase / oil filter/ oil cooler lines area is, compared to mine! And mine aint clarty by any means!

Incidentally, what's the purpose of the plug at the front of the oil filter cover? :nenau

Cheers Pete, it won’t be that way for long! The oil filter cover is also the thermostat for the oil cooler which is why it looks different.

There’s a couple of options to solve that problem Steve.

The desert racers have the rear section of the front mudguard sawn off so there’s a direct flow onto the cooler. They also mount the cooler on the lower cross bar. Works great.

But for muddier climes, the Acerbis “Baja” front mudguard has a series of slots cut in the rear part (pic below) which puts some air across it while offering some protection.

For the next 12 months of European use I’ll stick with the latter, though might change when I’m heading to the Atacama desert.

IMG_1946.jpg

One more little step in between weekend chores.

IMG_1945.jpg

Frankly not impressed with Wunderlich’s finest. What do others use? I’ll need lots of adjustment due to lowered pegs and Moto cross boots.

There’s a couple of options to solve that problem Steve.

The desert racers have the rear section of the front mudguard sawn off so there’s a direct flow onto the cooler. They also mount the cooler on the lower cross bar. Works great.

But for muddier climes, the Acerbis “Baja” front mudguard has a series of slots cut in the rear part (pic below) which puts some air across it while offering some protection.

For the next 12 months of European use I’ll stick with the latter, though might change when I’m heading to the Atacama desert.

View attachment 506594

Like the look at the slotted fender. My R80G/S PD has been upgraded to 1000CC with a added oil cooler mounter onto the crashbar , same as the R100GS. And i don't like the look of it.So that might be an option . Just wish it had been left as a 800

Like the look at the slotted fender. My R80G/S PD has been upgraded to 1000CC with a added oil cooler mounter onto the crashbar , same as the R100GS. And i don't like the look of it.So that might be an option . Just wish it had been left as a 800
Unless you’re constantly riding in very high temperatures I’d consider deleting the oil cooler altogether. Pre paralever 1000s didn’t have an oil cooler.

Steve I have some nice 800cc barrels if you’re interested …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Unless you’re constantly riding in very high temperatures I’d consider deleting the oil cooler altogether. Pre paralever 1000s didn’t have an oil cooler.

Cheers Paul - agreed. I am building this bike to a specification that can cross the States and work at altitude, which is why I’ve gone with an oil cooler. If not I’d absolutely do what you suggested.

Battery box goes in. I learned so you don’t have to, that it’s much easier if you put the rubber mounts onto the frame first.

IMG_1949.jpg

Then the rest, looking good. Time to order the battery and dig out the wiring diagram.

IMG_1950.jpg

Cheers Paul - agreed. I am building this bike to a specification that can cross the States and work at altitude, which is why I’ve gone with an oil cooler. If not I’d absolutely do what you suggested.
The suggestion was to Steve. I appreciate that you’d have a need for yours.

Back
Top Bottom