Airhead 80-100 G/S Adventure Build

Not my favourite.

IMG_1953.jpg

But I was working on Moto Guzzi standards. BMW is much simpler and far more logical.

Time to stick some oil in and see if we have do any leaks.

IMG_1954.jpg

Mineral oil for the first 500 miles. In case you’re embarrassed to ask, yes you do need to put in more oil if you’re running a sump extension.

Oh and if you hold the bottle this way while pouring, it glugs all over the place.

IMG_1955.jpg

If you hold it this way, it’s way smoother and easier to fill.

IMG_1956.jpg

You’re welcome.
(Just realised there’s a pic showing this on the bottle!)

Unless you’re constantly riding in very high temperatures I’d consider deleting the oil cooler altogether. Pre paralever 1000s didn’t have an oil cooler.

My R100R 1992 has one . As ive only just got it i thought i would ride it for a couple of months and then do some work on it over the winter.

I do like this sort of post and I am totally gobsmacked at the quality of work then there is Mikeboys posts as well!!
:bow :thumb2

Top tip.:rob

Clean the oil container before using it. You dont want all that dust dropping into the engine via the oil filler.

Rest of the day has been spent sorting the oil cooler positioning, finally got a set-up I’m happy with.

IMG_1957.jpg

I’ll zip tie a sacrificial piece of fuel line on the inside bottom edge so it doesn’t damage the front cover.

IMG_1958.jpg

Then stick the tank on to make sure nothing fouls. Looking good!

IMG_1959.jpg

IMG_1960.jpg
IMG_1961.jpg

Mine was behind the mudguard - The original mudguard had slots, when I fitted a later mudguard without slots I fitted one of those temp gauge dip sticks and drilled enough holes in the mudguard to bring the temp down to where I wanted it.

Mine was behind the mudguard - The original mudguard had slots, when I fitted a later mudguard without slots I fitted one of those temp gauge dip sticks and drilled enough holes in the mudguard to bring the temp down to where I wanted it.

Just read through start to finish and really enjoyed seeing your work. (I followed your Guzzi build too.) I'm not really interested in Airheads or off-road, but I do love a bit of serious workshop and envy your skills and enthusiasm. Looking forward to seeing the finished article. That last picture nearly put me off - your build looks great but the headlight and nacelle and screen combo on that KTM is just fugly! Keep the pics coming but cover that thing up!

Just read through start to finish and really enjoyed seeing your work. (I followed your Guzzi build too.) I'm not really interested in Airheads or off-road, but I do love a bit of serious workshop and envy your skills and enthusiasm. Looking forward to seeing the finished article. That last picture nearly put me off - your build looks great but the headlight and nacelle and screen combo on that KTM is just fugly! Keep the pics coming but cover that thing up!

It’s been worse …

IMG_1296.jpg
IMG_1295.jpg

Nin,

Question, if you don’t mind, about looms…

Are you custom building a loom, reusing the old one or buying new?

Reason I ask is that the loom on my ST looks and feels 37 years old at this point and I was wondering how you were approaching it.

This is an epic thread! Thanks!

Nin,

Question, if you don’t mind, about looms…

Are you custom building a loom, reusing the old one or buying new?

Reason I ask is that the loom on my ST looks and feels 37 years old at this point and I was wondering how you were approaching it.

This is an epic thread! Thanks!

Hi Durneyj, thanks for the compliment!

After the grief I had with the Guzzi I built recently it was with some trepidation that I bought a Motorworks core loom.

In fact it’s ideal, really nicely made and good quality connectors. So I’d be happy to recommend one. Some of the little bits and pieces I’ll make up myself.

Back
Top Bottom